HELP: E-Brake Caliper Actuation

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced functional failure with the rear calipers when engaging the e-brake?

Currently when I pull the e-brake, only the passenger side caliper locks, the driver's side does not lock. The actuator on the driver's side is pulled down, but the piston does not move.

Hydraulically the caliper works, but with mechanical e-brake it does not.
I have replaced my e-brake cables with new Ford OEM ones.

Any fixes or known issue?

I just ordered new caliper set since I do not know what the issue is or if its even repairable.

I ordered these:
Power Stop [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]S4926
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4491111&jnid=2&jpid=0

pwr-s4926_xl.jpg

[/FONT]

Last edited:

HABU06GT

Reaction score
Sub'd my park brakes don't hold for crap even after new pads, rotors, and a new park brake handle / cable after my cable snapped....

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
I would investigate that caliper further.
If that piston isn't popping out and the other side is, I'm gonna go with that caliper needing rebuilt/replaced. I'm assuming the pads are decent and rotor is in spec.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I would investigate that caliper further.
If that piston isn't popping out and the other side is, I'm gonna go with that caliper needing rebuilt/replaced. I'm assuming the pads are decent and rotor is in spec.

Yes sir...new pads, new rotors.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Yes sir...new pads, new rotors.

Oh shit.
Hey...

Just thought of this. You've had that motor in/out several times. I would chase the brake line to that caliper and check it out. Make sure it hasn't been pinched. It can happen.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Oh shit.
Hey...

Just thought of this. You've had that motor in/out several times. I would chase the brake line to that caliper and check it out. Make sure it hasn't been pinched. It can happen.

But the caliper works fine with the brake pedal (hydraulically). Just doesn't work with the mechanical cable (e-brake).

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Just tossing ideas.
Hell, a rock could be wedged somewhere in that cable.
Just gotta keep looking.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Based on your troubleshooting and results I think you've pretty well isolated it to the caliper. If the actuator moves when cable is pulled and works with fluid something on/in the caliper is not working correctly.

Back