Help me figure out my SOLO class and what mods to do next

jsnyng

Reaction score
Note: I posted this on my local SCCA SOLO forum so some of the Mustang-specific notes in this post, I'm sure you guys already know, but it was not originally posted in a Mustang-centric site.

First and foremost when giving me advice, please remember that this is my daily driver car and is not solely intended as an autocross only car. I drive a lot of miles and want the car to still perform well on the street and be comfortable to drive.

I started putting bolt-ons on my car the day after I bought it. I had never run in an autocross event, but now that I've run in one, I will probably make a lot of them next year. The car started off as a 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium Automatic. I *think* that would have put me in F-Stock if I read the classifications correctly.

Here's a list of performance-related mods I've done so far:

Steeda CAI - I think just by putting a CAI on it I've already moved to Street Touring. Is that correct?

Brenspeed 93 Race Tune w/ SCT Handheld Tuner - I had to have a new tune to compensate for the much larger CAI. Am I still in Street Touring with a new tune or have I already moved up a class again? Am I in Street Prepared already?

Roush Axle-Back exhaust - This isn't really a performance mod in that it doesn't really add noticeable HP. The car is louder than stock, but I think I was still well below the decibel limit because nobody told me I was too loud when I ran at Turner Field. There were much louder cars there than mine. Did this change my class at all?

Steeda Sport Springs (still running on factory shocks/struts) - These lowered the rear 1 1/4" and the front 1". Any change in class?

Ford Racing 3.73 Gears - Here's where I think I may get jacked up in classes. From the factory the only available gear option from Ford in the automatic is a 3.15. The 3.73 is an available gear ratio in all of the GT manual cars, but not in the automatic. What did I do to my class with this mod considering the other mods already done? Nothing? Am I now in an insane class where I won't be competitive without LOTS and LOTS of seat time and additional costly mods to be more competitive?

Planned Mods:

Very soon I would like to change out the wheels and tires. Currently I have 245/45/19's running on all four corners on 19 x 8.5 wheels. I'm really leaning towards a set of 18 x 9.5 wheels and running 275/40/18's on all four corners. The 18 x 9.5's are not a factory option on any 2011 Mustang. They were standard equipment on the 2010 Shelby Mustang GT500's. Considering mods already purchased, does this wheel/tire combo do anything to my class?

I also plan on putting a set of Koni Sports (yellow) shocks/struts on the car along with Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts that will allow me to adjust the camber. What class am I in now?

I completely understand that next year being my first full year running SOLO that the main thing I need is seat time. I also don't want to be in a class where I'm just going to get crushed for years because I'm running against $70k+ cars and will never be competitive because I can't race my wallet against theirs.

Am I now in such a whacked out class that I will have no local competition and win region and rookie of the year by sweeping every race by being the only competitor in my class? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Well, not sure the car is listed in Street Prepared, yet. It will be and it will be in ESP. Street Prepared has a provision called "update/backdate" meaning whole components can be swapped to and from other cars that *share the same line* in the rulebook. You car will share a line with either other 2011's (which have 3.73's) and more likely all 2005-up cars (and there were factory 3.73's in those). Which means the gearing will be ok for ESP when the car is classes--provided of course they do what I'm 100% sure they should and put it in ESP.

Technically the gears need to be OEM, but the way Ford Racing sells parts, I'm sure they are. And frankly I don't think anyone on a National level anyway would care what brand they are. I know I wouldn't.

All the rest of your mods are ESP legal. But you might want to call me before you do the wheels. You can go bigger (wheels are free in SP). If competitiveness is important you can't and don't want to saddle yourself with wheels smaller than you can use.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
The general rule of thumb when setting up a Pony car in any class it to call Sam and you now have him on board. So you are not going to get better advice then him. Though you will have a big hurdle to get over competing with an automatic.

jsnyng

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Sam, and I must say as always it is a real treat to speak with him. I originally got my springs from him, and I just ordered the Koni Sports and Steeda HD mounts. He also just saved me a ton of money by talking me out of the wheels/tires I was going to buy. I may not save that much in the long run because I may buy more expensive up front, but at least I didn't buy a set that wouldn't make me happy and then have to turn around and buy another set to make me happy.

As always, thanks Sam!

HareBrained

Hoppin' Mad
Reaction score
Have you had all your questions answered? Have you downloaded the 2010 Solo Rules from SCCA.org?

The Mustang GT is eligible for F-Stock, Street Touring Xtreme (STX), E-Street Prepared, and C Prepared. (Note: Pre-'11 V6 is G-Stock, '11+ is F-Stock).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back