Help Polishing our crappy valve covers

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
Can someone give me some direction on polishing the valve covers? Im about to do my came swap and I really want to polish the covers to match the blower while they are off.

I prefer doing it with polishing compounds vs. the wet/dry sand paper method.

Im also planning on buying all the compounds locally so if you know of good stuff to use from home depot it would help.

Kevinmach1

Major Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing the same thing, then I started looking at all the little areas not easy to get to, and I painted them instead...LOL They look fantastic and it was ALOT less work.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question, just thought I would throw this out there as an option for you...:highfive:

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
thanks, i dont mine working a bit to get them polished up, im trying to get them to match the blower.

cobra mike

rice killer
Reaction score
i did mine with just polishing compounds and die grinder

0407091012.jpg

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
it takes a while to do so dont think in a hour or two youll be done...lol..
a polishing kit with the right attachment wheels is a must to get in all the curves

Oh I know....I've prepped and paint about 10 set of them, they are no fun to prep with all the small pits and ridges.

cobra mike

rice killer
Reaction score
Oh I know....I've prepped and paint about 10 set of them, they are no fun to prep with all the small pits and ridges.
yeah, basically thats what needs to be done, then 5 or 6 hours of polishing to perfection, your done, if you dont take any breaks...lol..
i had the top done in like 20 min, it was all the other stuff that took a while

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
yeah, basically thats what needs to be done, then 5 or 6 hours of polishing to perfection, your done, if you dont take any breaks...lol..
i had the top done in like 20 min, it was all the other stuff that took a while

yup and people wonder why they cost so much painted lol

cobra mike

rice killer
Reaction score
yup and people wonder why they cost so much painted lol
i was going to start selling polished ones, like people would send me a set and i would do them, start out with a extra set so i could have good turn around time, just send them a set that was already done, then do another set and wait till somone wanted them, but it just takes too long to do you cant make any money off doing it i was going to charge like 50 bucks, but when i did the first set for mine, i was like, no way...lol..thats like 5 or 6 bucks an hour...lol..not even minimum wage..of course i would probly have gotten faster as i did more of them, but i just wouldent have had that much extra time

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
i was going to start selling polished ones, like people would send me a set and i would do them, start out with a extra set so i could have good turn around time, just send them a set that was already done, then do another set and wait till somone wanted them, but it just takes too long to do you cant make any money off doing it i was going to charge like 50 bucks, but when i did the first set for mine, i was like, no way...lol..thats like 5 or 6 bucks an hour...lol..not even minimum wage..of course i would probly have gotten faster as i did more of them, but i just wouldent have had that much extra time

haha yeah. I prep and paint them for $100 plus the ride back so $115-$120

Torched06GT

Reaction score
I took mine to a local powder coater and he just charges $50.00 a set, airbrushing was extra from another friend of mine:thumb2:

Attachments

• valve covers 001.jpg
    valve covers 001.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 241

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
I took mine to a local powder coater and he just charges $50.00 a set, airbrushing was extra from another friend of mine:thumb2:

Damn, that was a good price. I've been meaning to do mine, but I keep putting it off....hmmmm powder coat....lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back