Help

TzReddy

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so my cam sensor got hit by my cam phasers. Anyone ever had this issue? Cam phaser bad? I have comp limiters on my phasers as well. Just installed new turbo cams as well.
30b14e3f756b7012a8799bdde9079eda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Seems like the reluctor came loose from your phaser (the metal piece with the "fingers" sticking out from it on the front of the phaser). This is not common but can happen. Pull the valve cover and check if the reluctor is loose. If it is loose buy a new Phaser... that cannot be repaired. There are tiny tack welds that hold it to the phaser right where the shoulder of the cam bolt clamps down.

Because the reluctor is normally pinched between the cam bolt and cam phaser, the only way the reluctor could be loose is if the cam bolt is also loose. You should replace the cam bolt along with the phaser.

If it's not the reluctor or cam bolt then something else broke off in your engine... Pull the front cover and inspect the timing chain, guides, tensioners, etc. If you don't find anything there... Pull the oil pan and inspect.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TzReddy

forum member
Reaction score
Seems like the reluctor came loose from your phaser (the metal piece with the "fingers" sticking out from it on the front of the phaser). This is not common but can happen. Pull the valve cover and check if the reluctor is loose. If it is loose buy a new Phaser... that cannot be repaired. There are tiny tack welds that hold it to the phaser right where the shoulder of the cam bolt clamps down.

Because the reluctor is normally pinched between the cam bolt and cam phaser, the only way the reluctor could be loose is if the cam bolt is also loose. You should replace the cam bolt along with the phaser.

If it's not the reluctor or cam bolt then something else broke off in your engine... Pull the front cover and inspect the timing chain, guides, tensioners, etc. If you don't find anything there... Pull the oil pan and inspect.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I’m guessing phaser because it’s perfect grooves from teeth on phaser into the cam sensor. If was something on motor the whole sensor would be at Up no?
64843925edb945d35b9bd57a0cbac4e7.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Isn't it fairly quick to pull a valve cover? You can't tell what's going on from here.

cpeek96

Reaction score
Is it at all possible you installed the cams opposite their correct side? One of the cams (passenger side?) is a good deal longer than the other to make room for the timing chains. I feel like there'd be some other indication that they're in the wrong head, but it doesn't hurt to check the simplest thing first. Out of curiousity, which side of the car did that sensor come out of?

b43882ad52ad990aae4d7c7d7b5379eb.jpg

Horrible picture, but hopefully it illustrates my point well enough.

After that, maybe make sure the key in the phaser is fully seated into the keyway in the cam?

Apart from those two things, I can't imagine why one of the phasers would have so little clearance as to actually hit one of the cam position sensors.

TzReddy

forum member
Reaction score
Is it at all possible you installed the cams opposite their correct side? One of the cams (passenger side?) is a good deal longer than the other to make room for the timing chains. I feel like there'd be some other indication that they're in the wrong head, but it doesn't hurt to check the simplest thing first. Out of curiousity, which side of the car did that sensor come out of?

b43882ad52ad990aae4d7c7d7b5379eb.jpg

Horrible picture, but hopefully it illustrates my point well enough.

After that, maybe make sure the key in the phaser is fully seated into the keyway in the cam?

Apart from those two things, I can't imagine why one of the phasers would have so little clearance as to actually hit one of the cam position sensors.
Cam sensor is from passenger side.

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
So this happened to me, and it was because the thrust surface of the camshaft cap broke out. I assume I cracked it and didn't notice. I was actually able to reuse my phaser. You need to pull the valve cover, there are probably brass windings everywhere.

20180616_162340.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back