Home Theater AV Receiver suggestions??

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They are good, they don't offer any discounts but their 30 minute disussion with me was almost enough to get it from them....and I hear ya on the HP comparison but when I looked at the comparison chart the differences for me did not justify the extra $$.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Enjoy it. My 4K TV and 4K BD player didn't arrive today. So hopefully the weather or whatever is holding up shipment (its all sitting on the dock waiting to ship from the warehouse) will cooperate so I can get everything including the 1070 next week.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Probably applies to Marantz as well since both brands are under the same umbrella. But that can be said for most companies who produce and then have overstock, reboxed, and/or refurb units sold through auction websites, and gray market electronics shops in the bigger cities around the country.

Shrek427R

Reaction score
Marantz SR7011. I thought it would be the ultimate system to build around and I've always been a Marantz guy. I upgraded from an older NAD system with 600W of pure power, running through a BOSE surround system. My new LG OLED television and LG 4K HDR & 3D DVD player are arriving this weekend and felt the Marantz AV receiver. was the best choice.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Received the TV mid week. Decided on the LJ 49UJ6300 series (4K HDR Smart TV). Wow what a let down. Expected a mid line series to be better than the LG basic 1080P I had. Picture quality wasn't as good as the lower 1080P LG I was replacing it with and teh angle viewing really sucked in comparison. I was able to return it today with NO restock fee and came home with a SONY XBR 49X900E unit. What a nice unit. Cost was higher, but more than worth the difference. Also picked up the Yamaha receiver that arrived yesterday (snow delayed) and cannot wait to set that up come Monday. Can't wait to pick up my first 4k DVD.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Installed the Yamaha, seems like the TV picture is better and the sound is better, pretty cool that the TV signal goess through the receiver from the cable box.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Just finished setting up my 1070 this morning. It appears the 2070 would have fit after all, but as close as it was I really didn't want to have to start all over in the event it would not fit. Dolby True HD sound is freaking awesome! The XB800 is upcscaling the 1080P dvd's wonderfully to 4K. Cable is being handled through the Yamaha unit.

There appears to be fuller sound overall with this 1070. Setup was great with teh exception of the sound calibration which kept claiming my surrounds were out of phase, though they are correctly wires and verified. Must be the bipolar design that is throwing it off. Yamaha stated some speakers may trick the calibration process when it comes to the W1 phase check.

I dropped in Hunger Games episode 4 and ran a check. It was great. Star Trek (the remake) also upscaled nicely to 4k and DTHD was kicked in and filling the room! DAG!

I ran a 4 position calibration verses a one position and found a greater improved listening setup.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the 4 position calibration you put the microphone near each speaker vice putting it in the center? My speakers are in the ceiling so doing it that way would be a challenge.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
No, the multipoint calibration is from different areas in the room. The 4 point is based around a two chair position. The manual will show you on page 44 different configurations. I ran the 4 point. Man it sounds way better than running just the single point. The full manual is available on Yamaha's website and it should have come on disk with your receiver and the quick start guide. Hope that helps.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did receive the disk, I will load it and look, I only used the quick setup, thanks.

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
denon 4300 can be had for about 700 or 800 these days, 6300 for around 1500. i have no complaints about my 4300, handles 4k, atmos/dts:x, just wish i had the extra 2 channels of the 6300

the x400 is current model, the only real upgrades (for me at least) are e-ARC, as i dont have a need for auro-3d. e-ARC itself is nice, but not worth the 2x price tag over last generation.

just remember you will want more. first i jsut wanted a better receiver for my klipsch 5.1 setup. then i said "well i should make sure it can handle atmos" - then it was "well 5.1.4 is fine" and now i have a 2nd amp added for 7.1.4 and im drooling over the new 8500 that can power 13 channels......

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Just watched Dunkirk in 4K HDR. WOW! At first when watching in 4K I saw little improvement over a 1080P BD upscaled to 4K. But then after finding HDR was not enabled and correcting that it was a night and day BAM! Holy crap. The color improvement of HDR with the added clarity of 4K was amazing. After years of buying end of year closeouts and clearance equipment lacking the current technology advances, it is worth the money for a change to be up with the times for a change. Yamaha has impressed me and it takes a lotto do that after having back to back Pioneer Elite THX series receivers in the past. I'm really looking forward to gettingthe basement theater room completed and setting up the atmos system. I could complete the system upstairs but my wife would kill me if I added another pair of speakers to the living room.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back