hookin' on street tires

jsusnaim

Reaction score
My current suspension setup its..

Stock struts and shocks
UMI ANTI WHEEL HOP KIT (Relocation brackets, and lca)

im also waiting for UPR upper control arm and mount..
and BMR panhard bar

my goal its to hook on track and street here in south america we do loots of street racing, becouse the lack of tracks!..

im runing 3.73 now.. any help would be appreciated!

what can i do to improve my traction!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Nobody hooks on street tires unless you have 150hp lol
You're going to want to slip the hell out of the clutch, or get some drag tires.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Mt et streets

Agree..some sort of DR.
a6cd0961-fd66-0243.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

TheDarkPath

forum member
Reaction score
When you say hook, what are you expecting out of it (60'-wise)? The best I was ever able to get out of my car on street tires (Nitto 555s) after C&L intake/tune, BMR LCAs with relocation brackets, and no front sway bar was a 1.94 launching around 1200 RPM. It spun a bit but not too bad.

jsusnaim

Reaction score
runing 1.90 60ft would be great.. the problem here in venezuela are the lack of tracks.. we race at closed roads, the nearest track its about 150mi away.. in very very damaged highways..

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You can pull a 1.9 on street tires easy, there will be no "hooking" though.
You need to slip the clutch out from a high RPM like 4000-5000, slipping the clutch is very effective on street tires.

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
Depending on the law in that country on what tires you can use the stock Pirelli tires that seem to like a little heat. The 2011-2012 5.0 are running mid to low 12's on them. I watched one run 12.30 and he slipped a little. If it is legal to drive on a Drag Radial then go with that.

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
I've pulled a 1.79 60ft on street tires. You can see my mods in my sig.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
So far my best is a 1.8 on 20" Nitto drag radials and to me that is embarrassing. With street tires, the trick is to try to keep them from EVER spinning. Low RPM launches and smooth power delivery are the name of the game.

A lot of guys think they're going faster by revving to 6000 and dumping the clutch, slamming it through the gears, and fishtailing all the way down the track. But in reality that's just stupid - and slow. Keep in mind that your fastest passes will always be your most boring passes.

This run is a 1.888/7.98/87.24 with a stock '12 GT on Sportline springs and 20s. As you can see, there is still a lot of room for improvement.

ski

forum member
Reaction score
Launching on street tires is normally optimized by maintaining the rpms at the engine's peak torque rating when the clutch is released without causing excessive wheel spin, and depressing the go pedal quickly and smoothly once the tires gain traction.
This method usually requires slipping the clutch, and a few feet of tire spin.

Last edited:

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Get some 555r's. I was cutting consistent 1.7's and got more than 10k miles out if them daily driving them.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
My current suspension setup its..

Stock struts and shocks
UMI ANTI WHEEL HOP KIT (Relocation brackets, and lca)

im also waiting for UPR upper control arm and mount..
and BMR panhard bar

my goal its to hook on track and street here in south america we do loots of street racing, becouse the lack of tracks!..

im runing 3.73 now.. any help would be appreciated!

what can i do to improve my traction!

Sticky tires, Strange or QA1 shocks & struts, drag springs, front sway bar eliminator, etc.

We carry all of these at www.uprproducts.com, and would be happy to discuss these products with you.

Davenow

forum member
Reaction score
What about launching in an Automatic?

I have 4.10s and somewhere around 320-330whp, and I just DEMOLISH the tires unless I leave from idle with like half pedal. If I leave off the brake I just spin and spin and spin.

I have no front swaybar+ the STEEDA LW radiator support
J&M LCAs,, UMI reloc brackets, and Eibach prokit springs/prodampers. I know the springs/dampers are killing me, but being a street cruiser, I dont want to get rid of them.

Any ideas how the heck I can get this car off the line?

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
What about launching in an Automatic?

I have 4.10s and somewhere around 320-330whp, and I just DEMOLISH the tires unless I leave from idle with like half pedal. If I leave off the brake I just spin and spin and spin.

I have no front swaybar+ the STEEDA LW radiator support
J&M LCAs,, UMI reloc brackets, and Eibach prokit springs/prodampers. I know the springs/dampers are killing me, but being a street cruiser, I dont want to get rid of them.

Any ideas how the heck I can get this car off the line?

My friend's combo is almost identical to yours, but it's a manual trans, and he went 1.63 on 325/50-15 DRs. Your car being an automatic would probably run the same 60-foot on 275/60-15s.

Biggest question is what tires are you running?

Davenow

forum member
Reaction score
My friend's combo is almost identical to yours, but it's a manual trans, and he went 1.63 on 325/50-15 DRs. Your car being an automatic would probably run the same 60-foot on 275/60-15s.

Biggest question is what tires are you running?

Right now they are garbage can all season OEM 18s.

I am going to a 285/40/18 Nitto 555 (non DR) for daily use.

I would like to pick up that combo Brenspeed sells of 2 OEM 17 takeoffs with ET streets eventually. But for now, I need to figure out how to get the car off the line on street tires.

I know with my current crap tires its a bit of a moot point, but I figure there has to be a way to at least make a horrible situation, a little less horrible.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are these roads in Guatalmalhlala you are racing on prepped? If not, then a drag radial is going to give you problems if its just a normal road..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back