Horrible Rear End Noise

JMoraru

forum member
Reaction score
So, my rear end has had some kind of noise since i can remember. The originally came with 3.55. I had a shop install 4.10s- they said it was the toughest install they had for gears on a newer car (it's a 2007 GT-probably had roughly 25k miles at the time). Well, those gears didnt last more than a couple thousand miles and they started whining loudly. The shop replaced them for free. Long story short, those went out and the car has 3.55 gears again.

However, there has always been a rear end noise, it just wasnt noticable all the time. I also wouldnt call it a "gear whine". Well, the other weekend i installed BMR LCA relocation brackets and steeda LCA (poly bushings). The noise was definetly more pronounced, but i though nothing of it. Not long after, the noise started getting abnoxious- sounds like my rear end is going to fall apart.

Is it a bearing or something? Am i due for a rear end now?

FYI the car now has a little over 81k miles.

Here is a video of the car on jack stands going through the gears. It gets progressively louder and then screams when in 5th gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I9Uoy0uS5M

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Find a shop that has the equipment to verify that your axle is straight.

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
I had the pinion bearing fail twice at gear head (TX). finally just purchase a new takeoff 355 from roush.

JMoraru

forum member
Reaction score
I had the pinion bearing fail twice at gear head (TX). finally just purchase a new takeoff 355 from roush.

I figure worst case scenario would be buying the Ford Racing 3.73 rear assembly. I would prefer 4.10, but i cant find those.

Anyone have a clue what that noise is?

Tron

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like your backlash is an inch...lol. that sounds horrible. dont drive it. pull the cover, take pics, and post them.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Holy SHIT. That's crazy.

Pull the cover and take a look. I know my bearings were fried in my diff but it didn't sound ANYTHING like that.

5.ohmygod

Reaction score
Definitely pull the cover. There's nothing complicated in there. If I were betting, I'd say your pinion has come loose. Could be several things though.

JMoraru

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry guys won't have time to open it up until this weekend.

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
oh.....my......god....thats terrible. sounds like your little grenade pin came loose or something. or half the teeth on your ring gear are missing.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Something trying to get out of there in the worst way. At least open it up and take out the loose parts then close it again that should quiet it down a bit for an hour or so.

JMoraru

forum member
Reaction score
Pinion has seen better days. The carnage:

Trying to post this from my phone. Let me see off this works:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back