Hot tub? Pitfalls?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My wife has said repeatedly over the last few years she would like us to have a hot tub someday. I would rather have a pool myself. But this is what she wants. Of course I am not opposed to a hot tub. I like them too.

I can't bring myself to buy a new hot tub when the used market seems ripe with gently used few year old models in full working order.

Surely a few people here have one and I'd like first hand advice on what to look out for and to look for.

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If it were me I would put a Jacuzzi tub in. Less maintenance, no chemicals, do not have to worry about it freezing, no shell that will rot away(if not maintained), no cover that will need to be replaced someday, you will only need a gfci plug for Jacuzzi. I do not know a lot about hot tubs. We tear them out and do not offer any guarantee if they stay on site when we sell a home. I hear a lot of people by them and end up never using them.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Parents had a hot tub for years. Was rarely used once the newness wore off. The cover was always falling apart, getting waterlogged and heavy as shit.
The insides always had wasps making nests, always had frogs in it.

If I did a hot tub myself, it would be an indoor hot tub, keeping all the wildlife away, not being subject to weather etc.

But a Jacuzzi tub would probably be better, hell I'd take just a big ass soaking tub where you can submerge yourself in without being half out of the water

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Hot tubs are like boats...best days are (1) when you get it & (2) when you sell it.

JK, maybe you can get the OL to skinny-dip in it...

Don't know if I'd go used b/c you never know how PO maintained & fixing can cost as much as buying. Watch for local sales and go in to talk w/sales rep...strike a deal/make offer. Best they can do is say "no." Good luck!

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
Advantages: for the 1st 2 or 3 years the are frickin' AMAZING! For the next 2 years or so not too bad

Disadvantages: people will assume you're a swinger. After year 5 the novelty may have worn off. They can cost a fair bit to run.

I wouldn't buy used. I know that you run chems though the system etc but even so :omfg:. That being said I do use the one a the rental house we use so what do I know?

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
had one at my house in MA. never again
1st year we were in it 3-4 time a week
2nd year once a month. electric bill went up
close to 30 bucks a month, that along with all the chemicals.

IndyEric

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in mine once or twice a day. Bought a used Royal Spa in almost perfect condition off of craig's list and keep it outside (bought a new top). Just buy a good make of hot tub that doesn't fall apart. This make of tub was built like a Honda (purdue engineering), they just keep going. Replacing a top or case isn't that big of a deal. It is awesome in the winter.

WARstang

forum member
Reaction score
I bought used, new prices are crazy. novelity def wears off quickly, especially with GF/Wife. I would never get one again for all the reason mentioned, maintanence, power, etc. Also had to replace the cover once, about $300.00.

Snakethat

forum member
Reaction score
We have had ours for 5 years i believe. Easy to maintain. My work schedule doesn't allow me to use it every week. Im gone for 2 weeks at a time and home for 1 week. The joys of owning a business I guess. But when I'm home Ill get in it atleast once. My niece and wife will use it through out the week. Some weeks more than others.

I think where people run into trouble is the lack of usage and then that leads to not maintaining water and circulating it. You will need to check your PH levels, remove the top and let circulate on its own for a few minutes. If it just sits there then yes you will get wasps , spiders, and other little critters. Even if ur not physically getting in it you will need to open it up and circulate it. Our porch is covered so it stays out of the rain. At our old house the porch was not covered but we took care of it. We drain ours every 3rd or 4th month. When this one takes a crap I doubt we will get another unless my wife really wants to. One thing for sure is they are great at night and when snow is falling. Badass

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Years ago I had one, a Hot Springs unit. One feature that sold me on it was the ozonator which removed all chlorine from the water (as explained to me). Basically it would circulate daily on a timer and required no chlorine unless you actually got in it. After a day or two of use you would add a small amount of chlorine to sterilize the unit and the ozonator would break down the chlorine within a day or two.

After a couple years when the novelty wore off and I quit using it, the thing would sit for weeks without being touched and was always pristine when I opened it up. I sold it to a friend who promptly ignored the instructions and bought a floating chlorine dispenser to leave in it full time, just like his swimming pool.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back