How effective is paintless dent removal?

Reaction score
A very very bad hail storm came through last night and well the mustang took the brunt of all of the damage. The decklid is trashed, the bumper is trashed, all of the pillars have damage, the roof has damage, the sides have damage, the windows are all cracked, and the hood is trashed. Think PDR will take care of the body, or am i going to have to find a body shop and go through that crap? Right now the car is still wet and i can't really post pictures of a wet car with dings. Doesnt really work out to well... :nk:

erat

forum member
Reaction score
I've done a door ding in the back quarter only, and it worked fine. They told me that if the paint isnt broken, then they can fix it. Some charge by the panel, some by the dent. I cant tell where the dent was at all anymore and it was in a bad place. What I dont like is sometimes they have to drill a hole in an inconspicuous area to get to the back side of the area, those I wont do, I just done want little rubber plugs all over.

Reaction score
I've done a door ding in the back quarter only, and it worked fine. They told me that if the paint isnt broken, then they can fix it. Some charge by the panel, some by the dent. I cant tell where the dent was at all anymore and it was in a bad place. What I dont like is sometimes they have to drill a hole in an inconspicuous area to get to the back side of the area, those I wont do, I just done want little rubber plugs all over.

Thanks, whoever i take it to i will ask if they drill holes. If they are drilling i will take it elsewhere.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
302, I used dentless repair on my previous DD. From the sounds of your post yours is much worse than mine was... I had hood, roof, and trunk dimples. The dentless process took all of them out with no problems except the ones on body lines or creases. Those they helped but didn't completely pop back. It was also about 2/3 of the replacement cost so I was able to do some modding with the remainder.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I used a guy in Vicksburg, MS that was sent to Germany to work on Mercedes and then returned state side. UNBELIEVABLE how the Toyota Sequoia I bought came out.

It was amazing and believe me, I have an eye for paint and body work, but it was phenomenal.

Just ask around and get a REPUTABLE PDR.

EDIT: and GET A GARAGE!!!!!:nk: lol

Reaction score
I used a guy in Vicksburg, MS that was sent to Germany to work on Mercedes and then returned state side. UNBELIEVABLE how the Toyota Sequoia I bought came out.

It was amazing and believe me, I have an eye for paint and body work, but it was phenomenal.

Just ask around and get a REPUTABLE PDR.

EDIT: and GET A GARAGE!!!!!:nk: lol

Yea no shit. But i just got off of the phone with the insurance adjuster. They told me the quickest their guy can get to me is next thursday and it will take about a day. If my car is not back like it was i will just keep at them until it gets right.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Yea no shit. But i just got off of the phone with the insurance adjuster. They told me the quickest their guy can get to me is next thursday and it will take about a day. If my car is not back like it was i will just keep at them until it gets right.

Again, I have used a good one even locally to "float out" some waves and blemishes on other cars I've owned and it's impressive if you get a good, well-trained, experienced PDR guy. You SHOULDN'T be able to tell whatsoever if done correctly.:thumb2:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree but if his car looks like someone dropped a dump truck load of golf balls from the sky i doubt they can fix all of that. If its that bad they may just total the car.

Reaction score
Again, I have used a good one even locally to "float out" some waves and blemishes on other cars I've owned and it's impressive if you get a good, well-trained, experienced PDR guy. You SHOULDN'T be able to tell whatsoever if done correctly.:thumb2:

That's good. I'm super pissed. I'm going to see if the estimator will just let me go ahead and get the hood repainted. I got a rock chip in it so i guess this is a good time to ante up.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
This was mine BEFORE PDR:

wrecked-2010-mustang-gt_100183628_m.jpg

AFTER PDR:

no7-1.jpg

Can't hardly tell it had a ding!!!!:thumb2::crazy:

Reaction score
I agree but if his car looks like someone dropped a dump truck load of golf balls from the sky i doubt they can fix all of that. If its that bad they may just total the car.

Please don't say that. :/

Here are some pictures

dent1.jpg

dent2.jpg

I don't know if you guys can tell form the cell pictures but there was atleast 3-4 dings in the pictures at once...

And notice the crease on the pillar... yea there is a ding there.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry bro i dont mean to be negative. Im just realistic. My dad had a 2008 Dodge Ram, had around 8k miles and we had a bad hail storm. It also had broken windows and tons of dents, even inside the bed was damaged. He has State Farm and they ended up totalling his truck. Every panel would have had to be fixed/replaced. I hope they dont for you and that everything is fixable. Just sharing my past experience.

Reaction score
Sorry bro i dont mean to be negative. Im just realistic. My dad had a 2008 Dodge Ram, had around 8k miles and we had a bad hail storm. It also had broken windows and tons of dents, even inside the bed was damaged. He has State Farm and they ended up totalling his truck. Every panel would have had to be fixed/replaced. I hope they dont for you and that everything is fixable. Just sharing my past experience.

Yea i understand. I'm not in the red on payments with this car, but i don't want it to come to that. But lets just hope nationwide is on my side. :/

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
My car got the shit beat out of it a couple of years ago because of hail. I thought it was trashed, The insurance co. said $3800 of damage, Took it to my local Ford dealer and they replaced the hood, trunk lid and repaired the pillars and pulled the headliner to fix the roof.

I told them I would not accept the car back unless it was as good as it was before but to my amazement it was perfect after the repairs....surprised me on how they do all that stuff now. I was really pleased

swat 79

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing but positive experiences from PDR, except for it is relatively expensive. I was actually looking into learning to do it myself, mainly because I can't afford to take my current door dings out (crazy ex, don't ask).

My dad has similar damage on his tahoe, and to be honest, I don't think PDR is the way to go. It is probably cheaper to get a new hood, and bring it back to ford to take care of the roof like mentioned before.

Good luck with everything let us know how it goes!

Reaction score
Yea, i'll do a follow up on this. Insurance called back and they want to look at it. So i'm taking it to an adjuster next week. Ohhhhhhh boy. I mean, i went back out to look at my car and my dinky little spoiler even has a ding in it, LMAO.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Yea, i'll do a follow up on this. Insurance called back and they want to look at it. So i'm taking it to an adjuster next week. Ohhhhhhh boy. I mean, i went back out to look at my car and my dinky little spoiler even has a ding in it, LMAO.

The worst one is that one on above the window. They might not be able to remove it by PDR.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
State farm likes to total vehicles. They are notorious for that.

As for PDR, I've been quoted $200-$300 per panel. The decklid will probably come out but I think you're SOL on the pillar.

Kuplex

Software Developer
Reaction score
If the shop is good, then they can make it look brand new again. My car was damaged by the hail storms that came through back at the end of April. My car had over 70 dents on the trunk, roof, hood (only a couple elsewhere). They had them all removed in a day and you cannot tell anything ever happened to it. It sounds like you had far worse though as mine were all very shallow dimples.

As for the windows and all, I would think some PDR shops also do regular body work. Sorry it happened though. It sucks when your baby covered in dents. :(

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back