How to Update SYNC Software?

Cokeologist

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 2014 Mustang a couple of months ago; and put the VIN into the Ford SYNC web site last week and it said I needed to update the SYNC software in the car. So I followed the instructions to a T; formatted the USB drive to exFAT; downloaded the file in the link to my desktop; opened the zip file on the desktop and copied the entire contents to the USB drive. Took the USB drive to the car and plugged it into the USB slot in the console under the arm rest; then used the display screen to tell it to update the software. It keeps coming back with "install file not located" and the install stops. What is the secret to getting this to work? Thanks in advance.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Did you unzip the folder to put the actual file(s) on the thumb drive?

The .zip is not the file... That's just a compression format for download.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Cokeologist

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, I understand that. As I said, I opened the zip file on the desktop and copied the entire contents to the USB drive.

Did you unzip the folder to put the actual file(s) on the thumb drive?

The .zip is not the file... That's just a compression format for download.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Yeah you're doing it correctly. Double check the drive formatting, and ensure the files are all copying / no hidden files not making the move. See if your Uncompressor or Unstuffer can use the USB drive as the Destination for the Unzip, that'll ensure everything comes over

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Try a different format... NTFS maybe or FAT32 as a last resort. And like the last post said... Try to extract the zip directly to the formatted USB instead of copy and paste from file explorer.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Try a couple different USB sticks. I’ve had some USB drives that just would not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back