How's your 2011-2012 GT holding up?

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
So the first of the Coyotes are getting near the 6 year old mark (since some of you guys starting getting your Coyote GTs in early 2010).

How many miles do you have? What mods?

How is your car holding up? What has broken/failed/worn out? Any rust?

My 2011 GT is a 300A/6spd/BBP car. June/2010 build...28,000 miles, driven only during times when the roads were salt free, garaged 80% of the time.

For mods, it has Bilstein shocks, Eibach Pro springs, Steeda UCA, Whiteline panhard bar, new wheel/tire package and I'm currently running a 91 octane tune from BAMA (so far so good). The car is pretty much stock otherwise.

28,000 miles...all maintenance performed per Ford recommendations, including synthetic blend oil...though at much shorter intervals than recommended.

OEM Summer-only Pzeros were run until 22,000 miles which may be a record. They were way past their prime by that point. :)

Problems:

My car had the "igniter tick" pretty badly. My local dealership determined that it needed a new water pump (replaced last summer under warranty) and it's pretty much gone now.

One stud on the passenger side front hub seems to be stretched as a lug went missing. I was having the wheels rotated (as part of the "works" coupon that I got in the mail) and the monkeys at the dealership significantly over-tightened the lugs, perhaps to compensate. The result seems to be a slightly warped brake rotor.

Leading edge of the hood is blistering, though so far, it's not visible unless the hood is up.

That's pretty much it. This car has been a dream otherwise.

Let us know how you're making out!

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
I've had two 2012 5.0s. The first was brand new 0 miles 2012 Model built in mid 2011. I purchased it in March of 2012. Car had the rear brake recall at 15,000 miles, drove it to 23k miles and sold it with rear-end issues. New owner found me on IG, had to replace the rear end.

My second 2012 has quite a story. It was a 1 of about 400 some Sterling Grey 2012s due to Ford no longer being able to source the metallic for the paint thanks to the earthquake in Japan. It was a lemon law car with 28,000 miles. It now has 44,000 with no issues. It's been lowered and tuned since 29k miles.

My brother (KonaBlueBryar on these forums) might respond. His car is nearing 70k and it hasn't had any major issues besides the A/C stretchy belt recall. There are a few others running around town here with 80-100k with zero issues. All have been tuned, running e85, or other mods.

mustang02

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 5.0 made Nov 2011. Has 21k miles, hood has one rust spot that started from underneath. Zero mechanical problems.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
It was a 1 of about 400 some Sterling Grey 2012s due to Ford no longer being able to source the metallic for the paint thanks to the earthquake in Japan.
I thought the only colors affected by the earthquake in Japan were Lava Red and Yellow Blaze. Production of both stopped immediately and never resumed, but Sterling Gray continued through 2014.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
I thought the only colors affected by the earthquake in Japan were Lava Red and Yellow Blaze. Production of both stopped immediately and never resumed, but Sterling Gray continued through 2014.

In 2012 Sterling Grey was discontinued and was not resumed in that model year, in fact it was not listed on order sheets at dealerships but the 498 cars in that model year were sold through dealerships. You are correct it did resume in in the 13-14 years.

There is a thread somewhere online..let me go hunting.

EDIT: Found it. Looks like I was off a bit, there are 568 Sterling Grey 5.0 coupes and it was not listed on the build website as an available color. I'm not sure if we are allowed to post links to other forums, but if you google 2012 Stering Grey Metallic Mustang Production Numbers you'll find a couple of threads.

Last edited:

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
My 2011 is a 05/2010 build. Purchased in July 2010 with 25 miles on it. Now has 36,200 on it. 400A/MT82/3.73. Added a FRPP tune in Feb 2012, ran for 11,000 miles on that, no issues. Added a Lund Tune in Feb 2014, had that for 13,000 miles, no issues.

It did have to have an input shaft, bearing, and synchronizer replaced in the transmission. Done three years ago, under warranty. I also experienced the pressure plate bolts backing out. Also fixed under warranty. It hasn't been in for anything else. I perform my own maintenance.

It's lowered with FRPP P springs, relocation brackets, rear LCAs, panhard rod and now has an off road H pipe. I've had no issues.

I'm surprised to see a couple here with paint issues. I wouldn't even have thought. Mine has none. Other than some damn rock chips.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, my brothers is a 2011 in Kona Blue (obviously) and his is riddled with paint and oxidation issues. Otherwise mechanically sound at 70k.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
It took a lot of hunting to find a Mustang optioned just like I wanted it - a 2012 M6 base GT with the Brembo Brake Package and 3.73 gears. It had to be Race Red or Performance White, or Yellow Blaze if I could find it. I finally found a white one in Tulsa. So after a 4.5 hour drive there to claim it and a 4.5 hour drive home, it was mine. Built 4-16-11 and purchased 9-24-11, it has had a few issues but it's been a great car.

With 1025 miles on the car, I found a set of Shelby CS40s on craigslist and put them on it. It looked so ridiculous with 20s at stock height that I took a day off work so I could buy and install a set of Sportlines on it.

It's first pass in the eighth mile was an 8.09 @ 88 and improved to 7.98 @ 88 later that night. That's on the 20s and Sportlines. She's been a runner from day one.

On 9-23-12 (almost one year after I bought it) the engine started to miss and the flashing CEL came on with 23700 miles. This car is one of the totally stock untuned coyotes that broke rings and ring lands on the #8 piston. Ford put a 2013 service replacement engine in it and it's been running strong ever since.

The alternator was replaced with 10 miles left on the 3/36k warranty!

The stock clutch let go at 60k miles. There was still about half of the clutch material left but the center hub ripped out of the clutch disk. I swapped it with a Spec clutch and it's been fine.

I work from home now, so I've only added 6k miles in the past year for a total of 77k miles. It's showing its age around the edges but I try to keep it nice. I still get people taking pictures of it, which is funny because it's almost a completely stock run of the mill Mustang.

The only mods I've done are:
Shelby CS40 wheels
Eibach Sportlines
Tokico D-Spec shocks/struts
GT500 strut mounts, reversed
GT500 mufflers
Whiteline shifter bushing
V6 black mirror caps
Spray paint red intake manifold
Spray paint black lower front bumper
Probably 20 tires :omfg:

DSC_7945.jpg

Last edited:

vinylinterior89

Reaction score
My 2012 GT/CS I got in Feb 14 with 29k miles. Now had 57k miles. It was stock when I got it. It now has a Lund tune, lethal O/r xpipe, JLT Cai, bmr springs, strange struts, viking shocks. I have made prob 30-35 passes in it but havent gone since the Lund tune and suspension.

Issues I have had are a battery, rear brake pads, my cowl drains clogged and carpet got wet and my hood has corrosion (black)

Overall I have been very happy with it! My biggest complaint would be the corrosion which I'm going to ask about when I do the airbag recall.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My 2011 is a 09/2010 build. Had a few TSBs done and a weird issue with head gasket debris causing cam phaser issues that took them about a month to figure out, under warranty. I've got 50k miles on the clock now, and he's driven pretty hard.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Just clicked over 95,200 mi. today. Car runs like a champ! No issues to report, but that ticking you mentioned might be what I've been experiencing. Someone thought it was injector slap, but I haven't had it diag'd yet.

Good thing it's under warranty until 140K. :gr_grin:

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
35k miles on wife's 2012. Modded from day one. Zero issues. Never been back to dealer, or any work besides normal oil changes. Raced all the time. Huge stack of 11 second slips.

Beatnik Fink

forum member
Reaction score
I've only had my '11 since september but it has 76k on it now. When I bought it the dealer replaced the clutch and had to add cats since the previous owner ran without.

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
Great reports, guys! Thanks to all who have contributed.

It's incredibly encouraging that nobody so far has blown up an MT82...and that the Coyote 5.0L is appearing to be a reliable motor despite the 7,000 rpm redline, 11:1 compression and complexity of the valvetrain.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Just clicked over 95,200 mi. today. Car runs like a champ! No issues to report, but that ticking you mentioned might be what I've been experiencing. Someone thought it was injector slap, but I haven't had it diag'd yet.

Good thing it's under warranty until 140K. :gr_grin:

I know that you work at a dealer, but how did you swing the 140K warranty? That's impressive. I'd be driving the crap out of that thing!

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I know that you work at a dealer, but how did you swing the 140K warranty? That's impressive. I'd be driving the crap out of that thing!

It was just offered up and it's PremiumCare. Ford's warranty and the best route you can go for warranty. The car more than met the requirements at the time of purchase. Plus, I only paid cost for the warranty, so it was a no-brainer. I never buy a car without warranty and GAP. Even with the intent of voiding the warranty one day. lol.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
May 12 purchase of Feb 12 build Premium Gt. 17.5k miles or so now.

Replaced battery and screen of radio under warranty.

Mod addiction Items:

Motor has been removed twice for bigger and better things. Trans twice, carrier once. I don't think many items on the vehicle are untouched at this point. Nothing broken, just upgraded. Car ran 10.0-10.4 @ mid-high 130's for over a year on stock longblock/trans/rear without issue. Now somewhere in the single digits.

My intention is to keep the car forever, but we all know how that goes.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I've only owned my base 2012 GT for a few months, but despite haveing 5x,xxx miles it still drives, feels, looks like a pretty new car. I think it still has factory MT82 trans and shifter, and it feels / shifts exceptionally well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back