HVAC pros

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Why not just ask in the thread?

Ok. My AC unit is one of those self contained packaged ones, the unit itself sits on the ground, im wondering if these units come with primary and secondary drains? The only drain i can see comes out the bottom back corner and drains right into my yard, which right now is making that surrounding area extremely wet. another thing i noticed is when the unit cuts off, for about minute you hear this gurgling sound and then that stops and a few cups of water come out the drain.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok. My AC unit is one of those self contained packaged ones, the unit itself sits on the ground, im wondering if these units come with primary and secondary drains? The only drain i can see comes out the bottom back corner and drains right into my yard, which right now is making that surrounding area extremely wet. another thing i noticed is when the unit cuts off, for about minute you hear this gurgling sound and then that stops and a few cups of water come out the drain.

There is generally only one drain.

Also, there is still air moving and vacuum built up inside the unit that holds water in the unit. The gurgling is the vacuum relief and as the inside and outside pressures re stabilize water is allowed to flow out again. Are you having issues aside from the flooding? Do you live in an extremely humid climate?

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
No other issues besides that, the unit cools pretty good. It is humid hear and we live in a low area so it stays damp. Right now i have hole dug under the drain and ive been emptying that twice a day. according to a drawing of my house drains there should be one like a foot away from where my ac drain is, so i think im going to find that and put a tee or something that comes up flush to the ground with a grated cover and then set my ac drain over that.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure to keep that drain pipe clean. I found out the hard way. I just flush mine yearly with a bottle of vinegar now and run the wet/dry vac on the end just to make sure.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
^ this is also a good tip, shop vac will work but what would be even better is if you have access to some sort of compressed inert gas you can blow out the drain line, lots more force and pressure than a shop vac can offer, otherwise a shop vac will do the job.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
I just crawled under my house and i got an even bigger problem, all my duct lines are sweating and half my insulation is wet. All the joints are leaking air, its wear the shitty ass installers used gray duck tape instead of the metal tape.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I just crawled under my house and i got an even bigger problem, all my duct lines are sweating and half my insulation is wet. All the joints are leaking air, its wear the shitty ass installers used gray duck tape instead of the metal tape.

Ugh. Yeah, I'd replace that right away. Great source of leaks once the tape gets moist and loses it's holding power.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Ugh. Yeah, I'd replace that right away. Great source of leaks once the tape gets moist and loses it's holding power.

Yeah i think i just want to pay somebody to it. Im to impatient. House was built in 07 so its that way forever, but this is my first summer in it

rayS197

Reaction score
There is generally only one drain.

Also, there is still air moving and vacuum built up inside the unit that holds water in the unit. The gurgling is the vacuum relief and as the inside and outside pressures re stabilize water is allowed to flow out again. Are you having issues aside from the flooding? Do you live in an extremely humid climate?
^^^ Correct. You can dig a french well and fill it will small gravel is one method. Ive used a 5 gallon bucket and drilled 1/2" holes in the bucket filled with the gravel. As far as your ducts sweating under the house typically means the joints are not sealed properly under the insulation. You can use a UL listed metal tape or duct sealer which would be the better option. Seal everything Pittsburgh Seams, snap locks joints all the seams on adjustable elbows etc. If you think it might need duct sealer, seal it. The duct sealer is cheaper and will go further than a roll of tape.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
^^^ Correct. You can dig a french well and fill it will small gravel is one method. Ive used a 5 gallon bucket and drilled 1/2" holes in the bucket filled with the gravel. As far as your ducts sweating under the house typically means the joints are not sealed properly under the insulation. You can use a UL listed metal tape or duct sealer which would be the better option. Seal everything Pittsburgh Seams, snap locks joints all the seams on adjustable elbows etc. If you think it might need duct sealer, seal it. The duct sealer is cheaper and will go further than a roll of tape.

I got the drain line issue resolved. My house drain was a feet away, so i dug it up and put a tee in it, then ran a short piece of drain pipe up to my ac drain, thats working great.

20130716_171719.jpg

As far as the ducts under the house, i crawled under there and every joint is leaking some air(Used gray duct tape). Im trying to find a local hvac guy to come seal everything for me, i just dont feel like crawling my 6ft 4in ass under there and doing it. Did enough of that when i worked for a electric company. I pisses me off that it was even done that way to begin. the house was built in 07.

rayS197

Reaction score
Nice! I dont know right off hand what contractors are out your way or I could recommend a company. Post some and maybe I could help. Duct Tape should have been called " everything but duct tape". Its not listed and wont past inspection or in your case it should have not passed. Some of the contractors I deal with use both tape and sealer. Strip all the insulation and seal "EVERYTHING". It wont be long before Virginia is like Carolina and requires a duct performance test. Its an option right now for Virginia.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
A contractor friend recommended Wallace Tucker for my hvac needs. I just haven't called him yet. There shouldnt be to much insulation that needs stripped back. Theres one main trunk line and then each register comes off that with flex duct. Id imagine if i get this fixed my power should go down some too.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Yeah dont blame you. Id do it but there would probably be alot of curse words said during that time under the house. I figure someone getting paid would do better

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back