I video taped the noise I'm getting... check it out...

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
ISSUE: I get a clack, clack, clack-type noise when I first start my car on a cold day and then it dissappears in about 2 minutes or so. It never happens in the Summer, etc... If I drive my car, shut it down, wait a few minutes and then start it up again, the noise is NOT there (I guess because it's warm - duh).

It started happening around the time my CMDP's were installed or during the installation of my Steeda UDP's (or it could have been there since day one but I never noticed it ) :whistling:

Someone mentioned the belt because of the cold and once the temps get higher it goes away. Now that I listen to it a little more... can it be belt slip? The noise sounds like it's coming from the UDP area.

Let me know your thoughts please. Some of you HAVE to know what it is considering the amount of time you spend working on your rides...:thumb:

I appreciate your help and suggestions as always. Cheers!

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=neWfIsY6wlg

(The video is not that bad considering I used my BlackBerry Pearl phone)

Last edited:

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Not saying this is the problem...I have had that sound in my car as well, Ford had to replace the a/c compressor clutch twice to stop it....Haven't heard it since the last replacement....I have heard of a few more with this problem, the clutch had a defect from the factory....

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. The only thing that doesn't add up is that if it WAS the AC clutch, wouldn't it happen all the time rather than just in the cold?

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the TSB's. Could be the VCT or phasers

Stangtuner

Eaton Poosi
Reaction score
Anybody else feel a "clunk" when the a/c clicks on sometimes?

I too, have this sound

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hard to tell form the video, but it doesn't sound like the typical phaser noise.

Below is a video I took of a car with phaser noise.

Click Here

I hope you figure out the issue.

BTW: I love the commentary! :roflmao:

-Rick

Stangtuner

Eaton Poosi
Reaction score
Hard to tell form the video, but it doesn't sound like the typical phaser noise.

Below is a video I took of a car with phaser noise.

Click Here

I hope you figure out the issue.

BTW: I love the commentary! :roflmao:

-Rick

But this car had aftermarket cams, right?

Big difference, thats for sure.

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's the phaser noise (after listening to Rick's video). I appreciate all of your opinions so far... they're very helpful.

Hopefully others can chime in too. I'm really really hoping it's only a minor issue, if any issue at all.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Pull the belt off and give everything a spin by hand. If you don't notice any noise that way, start it with the belt off and listen. Just don't run it long as the water pump will not be turning.

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like belt slip to me. spray a little wd-40 on the belt while its running if it goes away your know your problem.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
sounds like belt slip to me. spray a little wd-40 on the belt while its running if it goes away your know your problem.

1- Belt "slip" is something completely different
2- WD40 isn't something I would recommend spraying your belt down with.

Does the noise change with engine RPM or load? If you turn on the AC does the noise go away, or get less frequent, or more frequent, or unchanged? Have you had any reason to have the belt off recently?

That sounds a lot like a belt alignment issue. stang910 was on the right track, but wrong substance was suggested. Take a bar of soap and rub it on the belt while the car is running and see if that makes any difference. Or perhaps some belt dressing. If you can get it to go away for a couple of seconds or so then come back using the soap or belt dressing. Then you know where the noise is coming from. Just have to locate the source.
If it doesn't go away, then start suspecting components (i.e. an idler going bad, AC clutch maybe, or a pulley that has come loose on one of your accessories)

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
M/T - Buzzing/Oil Canning Noises
TSB 08-2-10

02/04/08
4.6L MANUAL TRANSMISSION - SEPARATOR PLATE
BUZZ - BUILT BEFORE 12113/2007

FORD:
2005-2008 Mustang

ISSUE
Some 2005-2008 Mustang vehicles built before 12/13/2007 and equipped with a 4.6L engine and manual transmission, may exhibit an oil-canning or exhaust rattle/buzz around 2000 - 2500 RPM during the first few minutes of driving after a cold start. The sound goes away after the car warms up.

ACTION
The concern may be caused by the separator plate, between the rear face of the block and the transmission housing, vibrating and/or contacting the flywheel. Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Remove transmission per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03B.
Pry separator plate from rear face of block alignment dowels, slide out from between block and flywheel, and replace with new service part.
Install transmission per WSM, Section 308-03B.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
FYI for those thinking phaser noise, normally phaser noise shows up when the car gets hot and the oil thins out, not when it's cold. Hot oil + low rpms = not enough oil pressure to control the cams.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
M/T - Buzzing/Oil Canning Noises
TSB 08-2-10
02/04/08
4.6L MANUAL TRANSMISSION - SEPARATOR PLATE

Doesn't pertain to his car according to the information in his signature file.

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
e

Doesn't pertain to his car according to the information in his signature file.

It sounded exactly like mine at the begining of the video,thats why i figured i'll post this

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Hawgman - "Does the noise change with engine RPM or load? If you turn on the AC does the noise go away, or get less frequent, or more frequent, or unchanged? Have you had any reason to have the belt off recently?"

I haven't tried anything yet except just listening. I will definitely turn the AC on and see what happens. I will also spray some belt dressing in certain areas to see if it helps. Finally, yes, I've had Steeda UDP's installed last year and the noise was there in the Winter. Then a few months after that my water pump pulley was discoloring so I had the shop replace it and then the noise is AGAIN still there this Winter. I mentioned it to the guy replacing my pulley and he said everything "looks" OK.

Rench - I'm not that mechanically inclined so I'm a little scared to pull the belt off myself. If there is a set of directions then maybe I will attempt it. It took a long time for me to grow a set of b*lls and change my spark plugs to the Champion set.

Everyone else - thanks for your help!

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hawgman - "Does the noise change with engine RPM or load? If you turn on the AC does the noise go away, or get less frequent, or more frequent, or unchanged? Have you had any reason to have the belt off recently?"

I haven't tried anything yet except just listening. I will definitely turn the AC on and see what happens. I will also spray some belt dressing in certain areas to see if it helps. Finally, yes, I've had Steeda UDP's installed last year and the noise was there in the Winter. Then a few months after that my water pump pulley was discoloring so I had the shop replace it and then the noise is AGAIN still there this Winter. I mentioned it to the guy replacing my pulley and he said everything "looks" OK.

Rench - I'm not that mechanically inclined so I'm a little scared to pull the belt off myself. If there is a set of directions then maybe I will attempt it. It took a long time for me to grow a set of b*lls and change my spark plugs to the Champion set.

Everyone else - thanks for your help!

Pulling the belt off is very easy. Put a 1/2 breaker bar or racket handle into the tensioner and push down. While the tension is off the belt push it off one of the pulleys. Release the tensioner and remove the belt. The only thing you need to worry about is making sure you remember how to put it back on. FWIW, this is a lot easier when the car is cold. I have changed my at the track when the car is f'ing hot and I always burn myself. Of course it does not help that I am rushing to fix it when I am at the track.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back