Idle surge, bama tune the issue?

TheFourSixThatCould

Reaction score
So I have a 2008 gt cs that I have had stock for awhile because of a ticket but finally was able to throw on my bold ons which include Steeda CAI 90MM, 62MM BBK throttle body, msd coils, cat-less h-pipe and 4 resonators with no mufflers. I have have with the set itsx tuner with Bama tunes. Every time on idle no matter when cold start or stop light the rooms bounce from 750-1200 and I've never been able to get it to stop. Ive cleaned the maf, raised the rpm idle to various numbers etc. Ive read a couple old post that people say the Bama tunes are complete garbage and im wondering the opinions now since those post were 5+ years ago. It seems to not be an issues when I only have the CAI or throttle body installed, but happens when I install them at the same time. I would love to take it to a dyne but for these basic bolt ons don't understand why a remote tune wouldn't work.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did u check the TB voltage before and after the install and adjust to be the before voltage.

As to Bama, yea, still not good

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
All tunes are not equal. You usually get what you pay for. Bama is the cheapest for a reason. If they tried to charge what good tuners charge then nobody would ever buy from them. But there's a constant flow of new owners willing to splurge $99 on 'tunes for life'. Until they find out they are shitty tunes, then they have to pay twice.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Get Lito to tune it.

IMO, it is the throttle body that is causing the surge. Bama either has the wrong data or made changes to the driver demand table or both, and it is wrong. That is why it is surging.

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
Agreed. I bought tunes from Bama only because I needed a tuner & wanted to be able to at least drive it. My tune idled fine but didn’t seem smooth if that makes sense. Got one from Lito & idle is rock solid & seems to pull way smoother.

TheFourSixThatCould

Reaction score
Did u check the TB voltage before and after the install and adjust to be the before voltage.

As to Bama, yea, still not good

In regards to the throttle body voltage, I did that when I initially installed it about 1.5 years ago but I’ll check it again, when I install the stock one would you recommend driving it around for a day first before I test the voltage?
And for the bama tunes for life they came with the itsx tuner but they haven’t had the best customer service either so I’ll definitely try Lito in the next few days, I’d love to get it dynoed but for $750 and the mods I have seems overkill atm

TheFourSixThatCould

Reaction score
Agreed. I bought tunes from Bama only because I needed a tuner & wanted to be able to at least drive it. My tune idled fine but didn’t seem smooth if that makes sense. Got one from Lito & idle is rock solid & seems to pull way smoother.

Do you have his currently email or contact, I seen a couple post with it but they are all a few years old, would be appreciated.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MSD coils are garbage, they are know to fail or be junk out of the box. Put the stock ones back on.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Bama is the cheapest for a reason. If they tried to charge what good tuners charge then nobody would ever buy from them. But there's a constant flow of new owners willing to splurge $99 on 'tunes for life'

BAMA's free tunes for life is a marketing gimmick. They could tune the ECU for a lifetime and still not get it right. :laughing1:

MSD coils are garbage, they are know to fail or be junk out of the box. Put the stock ones back on.

Agree. MSD = My Spark Died

BBK throttle bodies are also hit and miss. If you still get idle surging with a new tune from Lito, port the stock throttle body and swap it back in. This is what mine looks like. The top picture is stock and the bottom one ported.

TB Stock v Ported.jpg

whitmanink

Reaction score
well ill throw in my 2 cents ,, i have a scx tuner,, before the canned tune i put on .. when comming to a stop my idle would go to where it should be and hold steady.. ,,after installing the tune,, when i come to a stop it "bounces " up and down by about 100 to 300 rpm , then settles,,.

i knew it was the junk tune,, so i went and emailed lito to start a tune,, and the night before i was gonna send him the money and get the tune,, my valve did what it wanted to and destroyed my motor,,,

so my guess is get a real tune by lito or some other reputable tuner and you will be good to go,

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back