Intake Cover??

Lannyl81

Reaction score
Working on the daughter's 2008 GT and doing a lot of web surfing for various parts and such; I noticed that on some Mustang of the 2005-2009 era that there is a "cover" on the intake runners...says Powered By Ford...has the Mustang on it.
Her car has never had this....does not appear to be associated only with CAI...but is this an aftermarket part?
Below is a picture of what I am asking about.

Thanks

00c0c_4Mdu4eSWPvcz_0fe0bq_1200x900.jpg

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
It’s stock but might have been a premium model only thing. My 07 had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I think the Ford plastic intake covers were only fitted from 2007 onwards to the GT Premium and California Special. Mine obviously didn't have one and I chose to go aftermarket with the prettier looking BBK. :D

Engine.jpg

Lannyl81

Reaction score
Daughter's is a 2008, I am guessing it must be a GT Deluxe and not the GT Premium. I do not know the difference between the two.

Thanks for the info guys...think I will look around for a BBK.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Neither. It's part of the "Appearance Package" you could get on 2007-10. Includes hood scoop, rolled exhaust tips, and that cover. You can add it, requires two different studs on the TB to secure it.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Ah that makes sense. The bbk one doesn’t look bad IMO.

Deathstang II

Reaction score
They were only found on 07-10 models. You can retro fit it onto an 05-06, just need different hardware. There's kits floating around the net where you can get the cover and hardware specifically for an 05-06 for about 100 bucks. Wanted to get it myself, paint it matte black, and hand paint the skeleton horse onto it. But alas I'll be putting a ford performance intake on it soon.

Last edited:

Lannyl81

Reaction score
Her Mustang does not have the hood scoop either, so apparently this one never had the appearance package.
It would take me at least a full day to get her Mustang's engine compartment looking anywhere close as clean as you guys have shown.
Thanks for the link to the cover kit.

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Her Mustang does not have the hood scoop either, so apparently this one never had the appearance package.
It would take me at least a full day to get her Mustang's engine compartment looking anywhere close as clean as you guys have shown.
Thanks for the link to the cover kit.

I mean, all this stuff is not really necessary, does the car look pretty dirty or something? Like needs work? I personally would not put a fake hood scoop on a car, even if it was factory. Most are non-functioning which always made me scratch my head as to why Ford would do that lol, even as a cosmetic thing, makes me cringe to see a fake scoop. But each their own.

Lannyl81

Reaction score
Deathstang II....daughter has the same opinion regarding the hood scoop. We talked about getting one when she first got the car, but her decision was no since it was non-functional.

Her Mustang is just very dirty, runs and drives great. It was her daily driver until Covid-19 hit last year and she worked from home with it sitting in the driveway exposed to the elements of Houston. Now back here in Tucson, the Mustang was in the garage until about a month ago when she got herself a "mom" vehicle...so back to the driveway went the Mustang.
I have had it for about two weeks now, cleaning it up, fixing a trans (5 sp) leak and attempting to do something with the infamous door panel issue.

Does not "need" much work, runs/drives just fine. No body damage except rear bumper paint has faded-out due to the elements...it really needs a very good wash and wax.

If my 3rd bay garage space was deeper, I would buy the Mustang and make it my "fun" car. But it will not fit. Once I am done, I have arranged for the Mustang to spend the Summer in a neighbor's garage, giving her time to get her garage organized so the Mustang and her "mom" vehicle can both be in. She just moved into her house a bit less than two months ago and is still moving in.

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Deathstang II....daughter has the same opinion regarding the hood scoop. We talked about getting one when she first got the car, but her decision was no since it was non-functional.

Hah, I like her already.

As for the saggy leather door panel issue, I just went to the yard and got the regular plastic panels. I couldn't be fucked to fix an already botched job from the previous owner that attempted to fix it. All the factory does is use the regular base door panel option and sticks a leather insert over it. So should you want to recreate that again, that option is always there.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
We had an in depth discussion on an earlier post over the same things your bringing up. My Mustang is a 2008 GT/CS and has all the things on it that makes it a California Special. Because Ford made Mustangs a Plug and play car many of the the things are accessories that were available. For example my car does not have the hood scoop, nor gages but has idiot lights, etc. This was all due to the original buyers choices.

2008 Mustang GT-CS.jpg

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I don’t know how they are now but anyone who owned a new edge back in the day knows about blue oval industries. They were good back in the day, not sure anymore.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back