Interesting new part

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
Just saw this yesterday.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/new-pr...chanical-throttle-body-for-3v-modular-motors/

I've wanted a mechanical throttle body for my car for some time. It would allow me to do some things that I can't do with the electronic throttle body. I know it says that it's can't be used with the stock computer but was wondering if any tuners would be able to work their magic so it could be used with it?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I used to want a mechanical throttle body as well, but as time passed I don't see an advantage to it anymore, throttle response was a big issue till the tuners took care of that, but what else?

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I used to want a mechanical throttle body as well, but as time passed I don't see an advantage to it anymore, throttle response was a big issue till the tuners took care of that, but what else?

I drag race the car all summer. The class i run doesn't allow 2 steps but seems to allow "starting line enhancers" which is basically a solenoid attached to the carb/tb linkage that when energized will open the the carb/tb a given amount allowing the car to be launched at the same RPM every time without having to watch the tach. Most older cars use the AC idle solenoid to do this. It would help me to level the playing field a little more.

Tylus

Bullitt #6451
Reaction score
Why not just set the tune so the idle is normal, and then have the tune use the A/C idle adjust to get your staging RPM? The PCM bumps up idle speed and fuel mix when the A/C compressor is running right? Might be able to trick it in the tune and use that for launching

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
Why not just set the tune so the idle is normal, and then have the tune use the A/C idle adjust to get your staging RPM? The PCM bumps up idle speed and fuel mix when the A/C compressor is running right? Might be able to trick it in the tune and use that for launching
That's an idea but wouldn't the AC compressor need to be running to do that? I definitely don't want the AC compressor running while I'm racing.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
That's an idea but wouldn't the AC compressor need to be running to do that? I definitely don't want the AC compressor running while I'm racing.

the AC compressor has a clutch and not 100% sure but I believe the AC shuts off while going WOT.

Tylus

Bullitt #6451
Reaction score
Tune would be able to leave clutch engaged

What about running a A/C delete pulley with the A/C compressor still plugged in, just tied off to the side out of the way. Then it wouldn't matter about if the A/C was on

Just some thoughts. We need a tuner to step in here and tell us if it's a possibility

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I don't think there is any magic to be worked. The spanish oak CPU uses an electronic throttle. If there is no electronic throttle, I would imagine CPU cannot be used.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the AC idle setting now. I'm not opposed to completely removing the AC altogether. I don't think I've used it for a couple years. I don't recall there being an AC idle setting in my programmer. I have an SCT Xcal2. I guess the questions would be, could I set the idle high enough with this setting (2500-3000RPM) and will it work if there is no compressor at all?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back