Interference fit on steering knuckle bolts?

Enfield

Reaction score
In the midst of a suspension refresh for the '07 GT. When attaching new Koni STR.T front struts to the steering knuckle, I find that the oem Ford bolts won't slide right in the appropriate hole in the strut. In a way this makes sense: you don't want any slop in that connection that might affect steering dynamics. Should I just force the bolt through with an impact wrench when assembling?

FWIW, the car is getting new GT500 control arms and strut mounts, to go along with Bullitt springs. OEM sways at this point, with new endlinks and MOOG tie rod ends. Full rear refresh, too.

TIA, Enfield

DieHarder

Reaction score
Post a pic. Sure they sent you the right ones? You should Not have to use an impact wrench on those bolts. Call the company you bought them from and describe the issue/check the model numbers.

Enfield

Reaction score
Accidentally posted this on the 4.0 forum...
The Koni part # is 8750-1030. Diameter of the mounting bolt is ~14mm; its threads go into the mounting hole, but the unthreaded portion does not. Have gotten in touch with Tire Rack, the supplier. Beginning to think that the mounting bolt is not the correct one.

Last edited:

Enfield

Reaction score
Bolt fits snugly into the 14mm gauge hole, but not into the strut. I could probably drive it through with a light rubber mallet. Too thick a coat of paint?
[jpg didn't load]

MrBhp

Reaction score
If a light rubber mallet will get it thru, you are good to go. Probably just the coating. Give it a few taps. If it starts to go in, I personally would give them a spin with my battery operated impact set to low. I've done this many times. It doesn't damage the bolt or the strut. Unless you really do have the wrong bolt. Are you replacing the bolts? I think I've been instructed by all the instructions I've read on struts to replace the bolts.

Enfield

Reaction score
Will wait to check camber after finishing the job before ordering new bolts. On the side I've already changed over, the half-moon at the top of the original mount was facing in, and camber was -.9 degree. This is with Bullitt 5510 FA springs.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back