Is this the right differential?

Blazing Saddles

I'm a "Pro Tree" Hugger
Reaction score
It's hard to tell if thats the one you need. Detroit lockers for the 8.8, 31 spline come in several different flavors. There's a pre 1986 and a 1987 and up. Some are for a 4.56 gear and down. Some are for a 4.88 gear and up. Reason being a 4.88 and up ring gear is thicker and it comes with a notched crosspin. The Roush part number does nothing for me. I can't cross reference it, there's no info on the Roush web site.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything either. Time to email the seller for a part number which I probably should have done in the first place anyways :)

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
That will work for your car, but you would also need to buy a set of Moser 31 spline axles to go with it, as the stock 05+ 8.8 diff is a 28 Spline unit, and your axles that came stock will not work with it.

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
That will work for your car, but you would also need to buy a set of Moser 31 spline axles to go with it, as the stock 05+ 8.8 diff is a 28 Spline unit, and your axles that came stock will not work with it.

2005+ Mustangs come with 31 spline axles from the factory.

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
You're absolutely sure about that?

No, I'm not... see below:

2005+ Mustangs come with 31 spline axles from the factory.

What I was told by Lethal Performance, when I went to purchase a TrueTrac 31 spline LSD, is that the OEM shafts are 28 spline, and would need to purchase a set of axles as well. And seeing how I have never as much as even had the cover off the rear end on my Mustang, I would been inclined to have believed them.

So it IS a 31 spline unit?

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
No, I'm not... see below:

What I was told by Lethal Performance, when I went to purchase a TrueTrac 31 spline LSD, is that the OEM shafts are 28 spline, and would need to purchase a set of axles as well. And seeing how I have never as much as even had the cover off the rear end on my Mustang, I would been inclined to have believed them.

So it IS a 31 spline unit?

Hope so, or otherwise I'm going to have A LOT of pissed off customers from the last 2 years. All 2005+ GT's are 31 spline from the factory, of that I am sure.

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
Hope so, or otherwise I'm going to have A LOT of pissed off customers from the last 2 years. All 2005+ GT's are 31 spline from the factory, of that I am sure.

Interesting bit of information there Steve. It's the only reason I haven't gone ahead and done the Diff/Axles. Thought they had to be done together.

:beerchug2:

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting bit of information there Steve. It's the only reason I haven't gone ahead and done the Diff/Axles. Thought they had to be done together.

:beerchug2:

I blew the diff on my Roush, and I just slapped in a 31 spline Auburn without changing axles, so it would have run pretty bad I would think if it had 28 splines. Whoever told you they have 28's was wrong, go ahead and do the diff!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back