Issue with Steeda X11 balljoints / SLA Boss Comp LCA's

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
if you aren't making a living off using their tools, they really aren't too bad. if you are gonna be doing ball joints two or three times a week, I wouldn't recommend it.

To add, as with all things Harbor Freight, do your research. Some of their products are actually pretty good, especially given the price, some of it is absolute shit. For instance, their low profile aluminum "racing jacks" are actually pretty good. GOBS of SCCA racers use them and they are priced reasonably well too... Their X2 Mini Mill is actually workable as well with some minor out of the box tweaks. Their sockets on the other hand are absolute garbage and horribly sized.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
lol, the aluminum HF jacks are used in pro racing as well. We use them in World challenge, and you can usually spot a couple hundred of them at events like the Rolex 24.

I ended up renting the tools, however.

the new joints are in, the tool made it easy. 2.5 hour job with breaks for beer, posting useless stuff on facebook, etc.

The new ones were greased, however I gave them a few pumps after install to be safe. the driver's was more loose than the passenger, but when you put the old joints in a vise and check for play, you don't find a whole lot. Not sure what the issue is with these, but my wheels definitely don't move now.

We will see what Steeda finds (thanks again for the great support), and how these fare after a couple months.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Might want to keep an eye on your wheel bearings too.

Last edited:

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
To add, as with all things Harbor Freight, do your research. Some of their products are actually pretty good, especially given the price, some of it is absolute shit. For instance, their low profile aluminum "racing jacks" are actually pretty good. GOBS of SCCA racers use them and they are priced reasonably well too... Their X2 Mini Mill is actually workable as well with some minor out of the box tweaks. Their sockets on the other hand are absolute garbage and horribly sized.

Harbor is where I got my engine puller. Worked like a champ for me.

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
To what degree of bad idea is this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-4065.html

look.gif

Why not just borrow one from your local auto parts store? The ones around here charge your cc until you bring it back.

neema

forum member
Reaction score
interesting to see how the howe ball joints are installed. i wish there were more information on how to install them on stock 2011+ control arms. i can't find squat (can't even find what part number would be used!)

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Correct, most of the customers who purchase our stuff for road-coursing, always tell me they weld their BJ's in.

However Welding the Ball Joint in does not eliminate the possibility of the Ball and Socket wearing internally. Obviously the design is a very precision fit. The grease is not intended to take up space. It is there to help eliminate metal to metal contact which in turn causes the component to wear out. To me there is something wrong if there is still movement after greasing them.

Not stating you don't know what you are talking about Kelly. Just stating a generic fact for all to read.

balljoints_follower2.gif

PLee

forum member
Reaction score
The manufacturer of the the BOSS 302S Ball-Joints, I am almost positive, is Howe Racing.

These would be the same as:

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-High-Performance-Anti-Roll-Ball-Joint-Kit-p/s5mx-3050-u.htm

Except, of course, the August 2009 + Ball-Joints would be larger diameter (19mm)

I think the Howe pieces are excellent - and really like how you can install a threaded ring into the arm.....and thread the BJ in if replacement is required. Ours press in, with a retaining ring - which is a PITA.

Are the BJ's in the BOSS 302S arms threaded in, or press fit with a locking ring?

Correct on the Howe part, but not the same as the Shelby joints. The Howe joints used in the Boss 302s arms are a specific model only available through Watson Racing (not on their website yet), who actually makes the arms for FRPP. The sleeve welds into the hole left by the factory BJ, so the joints could technically be installed into any S197 arm.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Correct on the Howe part, but not the same as the Shelby joints. The Howe joints used in the Boss 302s arms are a specific model only available through Watson Racing (not on their website yet), who actually makes the arms for FRPP. The sleeve welds into the hole left by the factory BJ, so the joints could technically be installed into any S197 arm.

Shouldn't be. Boss302s has a larger diameter BJ. If they are marketing that for a 2005 it is different.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
Well back to square one. The play is back in the replacement set. These I had greased on install, before a track event and right after. They made 1000ish street miles and one track event.

Frustrating as the play results in sloppy steering and a "tram lining " effect as the tires can move on their own.

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Not good. I'll be replacing my X11's this weekend. They lasted 10 months, ~12K miles, 4 hpdes Steeda also asked me to try greasing them before sending replacements.

Question is- do I need to have bump steer set again after replacement or just get an alignment? Latter is cheaper...

There's no alternative to these guys for the 2011+, right?

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
you could do a stock replacement, (I'm not sure of motorcraft part number for 2011+), and there's a number of aftermarket options from howe or even above BMR mentioned they have some stuff.

I called Steeda, but they said they'd call back and its been a couple days.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I am thinking our tall ball joints will work on your guys arms.

I would happily give you (whoever wants some) a little discount on them, if you would like to try them out. Retail is like $59/each.

We went through this several years ago with our previous ball joint supplier (who MANY people use currently) - so we designed some new ones, and source them from Pro-Forged.

So far, they are proving to be absolutely awesome. I've got guys who have been coursing, HPDE's, etc....on our arms with these ball joints for several years now.

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to try them. I like the right angle grease fittings, would be easier to access than the straight connections on the Steedas

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back