It finally got me, Twice!!

GOTTORQ

Reaction score
Sooo, last year when I took my car out of winter storage I replaced the battery, and late last year in about October my stock alternator went on me at 33K . I replaced it with a REMAN one from Napa. I put the car back away this past winter, I took it out of storage yesterday and the car lost all power again. Same symptoms of when it died in October. My old man was thinking that the battery was bad, thinking that it may have froze. and i was thinking it was alternator knowing how common this issue is, but with less than 500 miles on the new alternator, how could it be bad so soon?

So I put a multi-meter on the alternator to test it, while the car was running. And i was getting .5 volts...should of been getting 12-14. so with that being said im not getting another piece of crap alternator. Which PA alternator should I buy? the high output 200amp? or the reg PA alternator 130 amp?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If your battery went into storage with a low charge, it probably froze. Even good batterys are gonna be at risk in any northern tier state this year. It was just flat out brutal.

GOTTORQ

Reaction score
well i replaced the battery after yesterdays shenanigans. Figured that would be the easiest place to start. still no good. As i said i tested the alternator with a multi-meter, with the car running it put out .5 amps

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering if there was too much moisture in it from sitting. Id want to know why it died. Did something burn up inside of it? Stuff like that.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Alternators don't like dead batteries or batteries with dead cells. When I worked at O'Reilly's I can't tell you how many modern, internally regulated alternators I saw fried because someone was trying to charge a bad battery by just running the car. Take the battery out when you store and/or put a tender on it.

GOTTORQ

Reaction score
Ok, the point of this thread was to ask which PA alternator should I buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket stereo, amp, and all that if so get the larger one. If not get the small one.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering if there was too much moisture in it from sitting. Id want to know why it died. Did something burn up inside of it? Stuff like that.

It most likely broke an internal connection when it froze. When they really freeze up you can see where the case bulged.

GOTTORQ

Reaction score
its not the battery, the alternator put out HALF(.5) an amp, while the car was running. should of put out 12-14 amps

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dont you want to know what happened to cause the alternator to crap out? I understand you want to know which one to choose but its bound to happen again even with a stouter alternator.

GOTTORQ

Reaction score
This probably occured while going to start the car every once in a while, while the car was in storage. Cold/ frozen battery, garbage REMAN rebuilt alternator from Napa, probably a mixture of the two

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
I say get the alternator that comes with a Coyote motor attached :victory:

Like stated the smaller PA one should do fine for you.

I agree with keeping a tender on it while in storage to protect it next year.

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
its not the battery, the alternator put out HALF(.5) an amp, while the car was running. should of put out 12-14 amps

The battery took a recharge and tests out OK?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Put a Denso from a 2010 on it. It will be the last one you ever buy.

I was going to recommend that but I wasn't sure if the plugs match up. My Bullitt has the 2010 style alternator but I haven't been able to compare the connectors with the 05-09.

Snakethat

forum member
Reaction score
Napa is the worst place to buy parts. I bought two mastercylinders from them and they both did not work. That was a huge pain the ass. I just recently bought a PA and installed it on my car. I figured it was time

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back