I did something dumb, maybe...

dokotadog

Reaction score
I'm not really a newbie, but new to the GT500. The wife hated me taking up garage space storing my new 08 GT500 over the winter, so I rented a storage space. I read the best thing to do was to take the battery out of the car during a prolonged storage, which I did. Then I got to thinking about it.....Will my doors still open normally, since there is no power to the windows to bring them down a bit automatically before opening the door? I fullly closed the hood, so now I need to get into the car to pop the hood open to put the battery back in. A quandry? Come in through the trunk with a key? Any ideas or insight appreciated.

DieHarder

Reaction score
You should still be able to open the door (I've done it). Access thru the trunk really isn't possible unless the rear seats are already down (that said, haven't tried it but you might be able to release the seat latches somehow in the trunk; upper part of the seat). For future reference usually a good idea to crack the drivers window 1/4 in to avoid that issue and you can still open the door with a key.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Opt 1: Disconnect battery with door(s) open. Window stays down a 1/4" and wont hang opening door.
Opt 2: Disconnect battery, leave hood unlatched. Connect battery before opening door.
Opt 3: Leave it on a trickle charger.

Consider these when doing anything mechanical where disconnecting the battery is needed. Like pulling the engine.

MrBhp

Reaction score
And I might, add leave your hood open. I was having trouble with mice. Fortunately I caught them before they chewed up anything. I've had no mice problems since I started leaving the hood open.

dokotadog

Reaction score
You should still be able to open the door (I've done it). Access thru the trunk really isn't possible unless the rear seats are already down (that said, haven't tried it but you might be able to release the seat latches somehow in the trunk; upper part of the seat). For future reference usually a good idea to crack the drivers window 1/4 in to avoid that issue and you can still open the door with a key.
Thanks. I just didn't think it through, getting old I guess. I'm just worried about damaging the glass/door/trim. This thing is pristine, and I'd prob shoot myself if I effed it up lol...

dokotadog

Reaction score
Opt 1: Disconnect battery with door(s) open. Window stays down a 1/4" and wont hang opening door.
Opt 2: Disconnect battery, leave hood unlatched. Connect battery before opening door.
Opt 3: Leave it on a trickle charger.

Consider these when doing anything mechanical where disconnecting the battery is needed. Like pulling the engine.
Opt 1 yep...shouda
Opt 2 yep....couda
Opt 3, no power in storage unit, hence battery removal

GriffX

Reaction score
I do winter storage for years now, I have done this error once, it is possible to open the door, but not good.
Open the doors and disconnect the battery. And leave the fully charged battery in the car, a cold storage is best. My 1st survived 10 years. I also put the wiper arms on wine bottle cork to release the pressure off the rubber lip. I know I'm crazy ;)

dokotadog

Reaction score
I do winter storage for years now, I have done this error once, it is possible to open the door, but not good.
Open the doors and disconnect the battery. And leave the fully charged battery in the car, a cold storage is best. My 1st survived 10 years. I also put the wiper arms on wine bottle cork to release the pressure off the rubber lip. I know I'm crazy ;)
Can it be done without damage?

GriffX

Reaction score
yes, you can open the door without damage, but it hurts ......

I think you must lower the window before closing again.

Last edited:

MrBhp

Reaction score
You can backfeed the system by clamping on to the hot post on the starter and grounding to the frame. As long as the other end that was connected to the battery isn't laying on metal. You'll know immediately if it is. Just don't energize the solenoid. You will get flattened if the car is in gear.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Just open it. It will be fine. I've done it by accident.
Yep. Anytime my windows do the "I don't want to act right" routine, they won't go down when I open the door. Window kinda springs out. If your weather stripping is a bit worn you might not even notice.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
And dont shut the door before you hook the battery up. Closing the door window fully up, the glass wont pop back in.

JC SSP

Reaction score
This is where portable “jumper” battery pack makes things easier. Harbor Freight has them for $100.

Keep windows up all the way. Remove the battery. Don’t lock the hood but keep it closed. If you need to access the interior (not sure why if it’s in storage), just connect the jumper to the battery leads and you will have enough juice to remote/unlock the doors.

totaljustice

Reaction score
In addition to the advice above, Pop the trunk as well and just leave it down without fully closing in in case you need to get into it with the battery disconnected. And that advice with the wine corks is gold! Thanks for that idea.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back