Jinx's Blue Baron Build thread

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Finally got the details worked out with Prince Wheel Service out of Monroe, NC (vendor on M5boards.com). Robbie at that shop is one of the only local guys that could do Shadow Chrome, Hypersilver, and etc correctly.

I always loved the Shadow Chrome (or Chrome Shadow or Hyperblack) on BMWs. He does restorations on OEM BMW wheels.

I sent in a few examples ranging from Lexus's version of the Hyperblack to the Brembo Track Pack wheels on a Mustang. He advised that those combos looked to be 2:1 Chrome Shadow.

He informed me on the process and what can and cannot be done with the DF5s. Ive decided to do it in 2:1 Shadow Chrome.

BMR Springs, KONI Oranges, BMR LCAs with Relos, Metco UCA with Mount waiting to go in. I'm very close to just getting a shop to install it due to the UCA install and my schedule. Ive had this suspension setup waiting forever. It needs the low.

Cooper RS3-Ss (255/35/20 and 305/35/20) en route via UPS.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Lol. Me too. His example pics were awesome that he sent in email. My main concern was how the barrel is sprayed. He said it required blending. The DF5s are basically a CV3 knockoff. So the inner barrel needs as much attention as the face in my opinion.

I still need to customize the center caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
They just sent this in an email and shipped them today:

efce90a9d9feb99addfe36a6f110645a.jpg

56c3dffff7f3b187d62a19dc9884b674.jpg

Last edited:

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Just got them installed with the tires. Need to find time for pictures. Warning though; this car needs to be lowered badly.

After the install, Ive became worried about when I lower the car with BMR springs. The setup is 305/35/20 on a 20x10 (+40 offset). It pokes some.

Last edited:

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
To help take my mind off the worry that I bought too much tire and potential rubbing issues when I lower my car on the BMR spring, I decided to tackle the DIY center cap idea I had.

The DF5 wheels came with these cheap looking chrome plastic center caps. Fortunately they are same diameter as the OEM pony center caps on my stock 18" wheels.

For this project I got a plastic two part epoxy and a metal file (to file down the remains of the tabs on the OEM center caps and other things in the way).

Then I start breaking tabs. The plastic on the OEM center caps are pretty soft, so its not hard to bend then down and snap off clean.

Just to show how close they match up before I start filing away at all 4.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Yes. It's my better half's. Lol.

Thanx. The Prius is a great parts hauler.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Great work on the center caps. They turned out really nice. Nice design on the wheels, too. But I have to say, they don't fit. The back just looks wrong with them poking out that much & I don't think it's all tire. Too much offset. At least IMHO.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I'm getting 275/35/20 put on to fix it.

S197s use +40 offset in aftermarket setups a lot. Shelby uses +38 on rear 20x10 (Alcoas) Super snake wheels. I wanted a flush look and over shot it with trying to get a meatier tire on there.

I like these wheels as they seem to be the closes in looks to a Vossen CV3 and I can still afford to get the color I wanted. But hindsight I would of tried MMDs version of it with +45 offset; but something seemed off on the look for some reason.

Someone on here is running a STR or something wheel that look like these but in 20x10.5 with even more aggressive offset than mine I think.

Last edited:

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
But I have to say, they don't fit. The back just looks wrong with them poking out that much & I don't think it's all tire. Too much offset. At least IMHO.

For the wheels to inset more, would require more positive offset. More positive offset increases backspace and pulls the face of the wheel closer to the center of the car.

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
^^^ This. You all got my meaning. It's a personal aesthetics thing I know, but that specific setup doesn't look quite right to me. The tires don't appear squeezed at all on the wheels. So, yes, more offset needed. Otherwise great wheels--I've looked at that style myself.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Working on the brakes now:

d4ca8dcb1f74a5339d435db6cafffef7.jpg
a7ec4072263151591fcb7ffe688502dc.jpg
aa3b93ad934d7ce9c6112ab0c9adab76.jpg
097dbfb383fe0e1206aa06d1edd0e3c9.jpg
ca5521fe3ca9998458d4f2a9ef679b5c.jpg
ad3ea5759b05df5bd9031186e645d8db.jpg

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Still need to install rear Koni Orange Shocks, LCA with relos, and UCA with mount.

But here it is the results with 255/35/20 (fronts) and 275/35/20 (rear) and lowered finally with Brembos and GT500 rear rotors (with CNC adapters).

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Thanks. Still have more to go. I stuck a deal to trade for a stock trunk lid. The shave lids is old to me now. I want a GT500 spoiler

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back