Kaboom

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Powdered rods let go? Hmmm.

Are you going with another nickosil lined aluminum block? Or one of the frpp cast iron short blocks? Or something else, hmmm? I'll bet it has steel forged rods no matter what.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting. Hmmmm......those tooooooooooooons aren't supposed to POP motors.:whistling:

I'm not blaming the tune.

Powdered rods let go? Hmmm.

Are you going with another nickosil lined aluminum block? Or one of the frpp cast iron short blocks? Or something else, hmmm? I'll bet it has steel forged rods no matter what.

FRPP iron block. I cheaped out. It'll hold the new setups output though.

DRock

Reaction score
Cant wait to see the new beast that goes in!

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
op didnt tune the gt500, op left it to the pros.

So you're saying I don't have PMs from you asking me about your GT500 calibration that you're looking at with your pro racer package? Or I don't have one where you say you had someone at SCT decrypt Lund's file for you? Because you know I do.

Yes, I know you said this wasn't tune related, you weren't the one that steered this thread down that path. Darren did. And he should know you have a pro racer package as well as these other facts before he points fingers.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
Ouch. That wouldn't have happened if it was a 5.0.

BS

sometimes u never know
my buddy had built 454's in his 38 foot Scarab
we were just cruising slow and heard the dreaded rod knock. got it all apart and Fri kin crank broke at journal. it was a steel and balanced crank. so u never know

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I think it's pretty hard to blow a motor with the tune. Unless the knock sensors are disabled or the tuner is a complete moron who disregards all the footnotes provided by sct.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
So you're saying I don't have PMs from you asking me about your GT500 calibration that you're looking at with your pro racer package? Or I don't have one where you say you had someone at SCT decrypt Lund's file for you? Because you know I do.

Yes, I know you said this wasn't tune related, you weren't the one that steered this thread down that path. Darren did. And he should know you have a pro racer package as well as these other facts before he points fingers.

You don't even know the half of it.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score

Point taken.

On a serious note, if Seer's bottom end was good for more than he was pushing, what would cause such a catastrophic failure other than a bad tune.......whoever tuned it or played with the tune???

Wouldn't this more likely be tune related or would we deem it "Operator error"?

By no means trying to start a fire, just wondering what caused this motor to let go and be destroyed to this magnitude?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It seems to me that stock GT500 motors usually go around 750rwhp if the rods go. Despite Ford advertising them as forged they are still made from powdered metal and any weak spot will show itself. 750 is alot of power.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
It seems to me that stock GT500 motors usually go around 750rwhp if the rods go. Despite Ford advertising them as forged they are still made from powdered metal and any weak spot will show itself. 750 is alot of power.

Exceeding the power limits is too logical. LOL!!:beerchug2:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Point taken.

On a serious note, if Seer's bottom end was good for more than he was pushing, what would cause such a catastrophic failure other than a bad tune.......whoever tuned it or played with the tune???

Wouldn't this more likely be tune related or would we deem it "Operator error"?

By no means trying to start a fire, just wondering what caused this motor to let go and be destroyed to this magnitude?

My valve springs were rated above my cam specs, sometimes shit happens and you get a bad part. I'd think that if it were tune related he'd have a melted piston, not a chucked rod.

It was a joke.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score

They tend to go at the 800-825 area, it is well advised to stop making HP at the 750 mark.

There are a few stock bottom end GT500's making 900 on E85 currently though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back