Kenwood DMX907 in 2005 GT...HORRIBLE FM reception

Frank Bullitt

Reaction score
At long last, I installed in my 2005 GT the Kenwood DMX907 (with HD radio) head unit I bought to replace the Shaker 1000 (I bought it last October, just before my mom got very sick, and after I lost her, I kind of lost motivation). I have yet to even back it out of the garage, but before I put the trim back, I tested it. The antenna is the factory unit, and reception was very good with the Shaker 1000. I double-checked twice to make sure the factory antenna is plugged in to the Kenwood dongle, and yet still the reception is atrocious. It will pick up very few stations, and I live in a very crowded FM market. AM is not much better, if at all. Interestingly, Sirius reception is very good even in the garage, and I have the antenna magnetically mounted inside the metal framework that supports the rear speakers and rear shelf.

Any ideas? I don't think the antenna is powered, and in any case, I used a Metra harness adapter (soldered to the Kenwood harness), checked those connections twice before I installed it, so I assume if the antenna is powered, it would be getting power. (This harness, as all that I see online do, makes no use of the factory plug that attached to the middle socket of the Shaker 1000).

On a brighter note, the Apple Carplay (wireless) works fantastically well, and sound quality is leaps and bound above the factory unit, even through the OEM speakers. (I have Focal replacements to install next weekend).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back