Key programming

larrym

Reaction score
Checked with the local Ford dealer today to get a spare key for my 2007 Mustang GT, was told the key is $38 plus an additional $140.00 to program it to the vehicle. Said it would open doors and activate the ignition but not allow start with out programming, that it's a chip key.

Is there a DIY method, rub your tummy, pat your head and turn on the ignition 5 times that an owner can use rather than pay that shop time? I have a BAMA tuner device that came with the car, will that do anything for me? $140 to flash the ECU is ridiculous.

Thanks, Larry in Alaska

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC - to program a key you need two working keys to DIY - you can search the site as the topic as been discussed a bunch

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC - to program a key you need two working keys to DIY - you can search the site as the topic as been discussed a bunch

SeaWeed

Reaction score
If u dont have at least one good rf chip in key ur screwed. I own 06 service manual if u need procedure. Last year my key snapped an i freaked out ( Couldnt find my second) the locksmith replaced with new shell an popped my old rf chip. You can program up to 10 keys an 2 Fobs

SeaWeed

Reaction score
Or buy new Pcm with 2 new keys. You can buy a blank key with new rf chip at local locksmith for 12bucks each JMA FO-30DP Mexico. Just buy 2 an tell Ford u found 2 blanks from previous owner. An just pay for programing if they let u.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Here is the answer.
You can program the keyless entry without tools.
It is the PATS programming, so it willl start the car that is $140.
Ford has to use IDS to program keys
Forscan (windows version only) can do PATS programming. You must have two keys. That is the minimum number of keys required. You can add a third key without IDS or Forscan. But if.you lost a key and only have one, programming erases stored keys and you cannot complete PATS programming with one key.
PATS can store up to 8 keys on most cars.
You can add third key without IDS IF you HAVE your two working keys.

Last edited:

SeaWeed

Reaction score
Juice u worded like an OG!!! The only thing i wondered about was the doorman product Ignition Lock key cylinder that comes with programing dongle. I haven't had an issue yet.... knock on wood. But out of pure curosity was intrested. The only problem with mine is the faceplate of the cylinder on mine keeps falling out.

SeaWeed

Reaction score
I have an issue with my front passanger caliper. I blew out my driverside piston so i replaced it. As safety precaution i did the other one. The remanufactured one from autozone threads are different 11mm an is shorter than oem10.

SeaWeed

Reaction score
Bottom is oem. An the crush washers wont seal because the caliper threads are wider. Autozones remanufacture has done this to two other calipers.

20200428_133211.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
And brakes have what to do with programming keys?

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score

Yes, and they both have to be OEM keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SeaWeed

Reaction score
I didn't start thread bout programming. Was in need of help an was frustrated (been awhile since i got my stang on the road)But i took care of it today thank the Stang Gods! But thanks for your professional advice on programming (knowledge is worth its weight in gold).

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Gotcha
Ok, I would use the old caliper banjo bolt then.

SeaWeed

Reaction score
The remanufactured caliper from vatozone brake line bolt was wider an shorter it was 11mmx1 an threads on caliper looked to be bored out to fit the 11mmx1inch oem was 10x1.5inch fine thread. The first caliper wouldnt seal but i got lucky on second even tho it was different than oem I spent alot of time taking the corrosion off banjo fitting rings an i reused the old copper washers just lighly sanded them an tighted down like a torque monkey. Finally got her on the road with new tires, gt rims, centric 120 rotors brakes an 2 new front calipers. Felt great to get her back on the road again. Thank you for the advice if anybody ever runs into same issue i will walk them thru it. Russel speed bleeders 639560 are the bomb really made the job easier best 26 bucks spent.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
What... Just... Happened?

A thread about programming keys, which you can do with one remote and a remote start BTW, turned into brakes. Which was answered with a question about what brakes have to do with programming which apparently answered the question because SeaWeed solved their issue.

SeaWeed

Reaction score
Lol my fault sometimes topics get changed but as long as questions get answered thats all that matters to me. Stang bonding is brotherhood!

onestout

Reaction score
as long as you have 1 key you can program new ones, the key costs about 5 bucks and you can program it yourself for free with forscan.

Stoenr

forum member
Reaction score
Just go to a hardware store like ACE. They will cut the key, and "Ghost" the OEM key to replacement.
Not sure how they do it, but it works. I went in with my new ford key just to have them cut it for me, and I was going to program it myself as I had 2 working keys. They physically messed up the key, grabbed one of their own, copied the key RFID to the replacement, and all 3 keys worked as oem, I had to do nothing. Basically 2 of they keys are identical. Making sense?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back