Knocking from the rear... completely lost.

cpeek96

Reaction score
The fact that it only happens on deceleration leads me to believe that it's an issue in the rear end, like when you unload the drive side of the gear teeth and it loads up on the coast side, something isn't happy. Did you change out the ring and pinion when you had your rear end torn apart? Is there friction modifier in the gear oil?

If you're the handy type, you can crack your rear end open and check the gear teeth, but keep in mind you'll need a new gasket, a couple quarts of gear oil, and a bottle of friction modifier to get it back together. Also you won't be able to dump gear oil straight into the filler hole so get one of those cheap bottle pumps if you don't have one.

My dad had a somewhat similar issue with his '05 GT at around 140-150k miles. He fought with the rear end for months until finally ending up with a whole new axle. Hopefully it ends up that I'm just talking out of my ass here and yours ends up being a simple fix.

Drift Horse

Reaction score
I got to digging some more, went and looked at my old axles and side gears. if you put the gear on the axle and move it back and forth the axle is a big ass tuning fork. the sound is heard in the end opposite the tap. Then, I noticed on the side gear, where it seats in the carrier looks like a piece of slag on the face of it, like a spun bearing. so, tore the carrier apart again. needless to say new carrier being installed.

thanks for everyone's input and help!

drivers side20181024_002827.jpg

passenger side 20181024_002737.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back