Knocking near cam phaser help

ethrjock

forum member
Reaction score
I'm having belt breakage issues with my Kenne Bell and thumper II idler.

Today at the track a belt broke and got into my drivers side timing phaser sensor harness. The two wires going into the harness was cut. Not knowing the sensor was cut I limped back to the pits. I pulled out a spare belt reconnected the timing connectors and fired her up. Now I hear a knocking sound on the drivers side timing cover as I accelerate just a little. To play it safe I'm towing her home.

I hope it's not serious. Any thoughts on what could have happened with that drivers side timing sensor disconnected but engine still running. ( can phasers locked out btw)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.581847,-84.364662

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
if it grounded or shorted the VCT solenoid it could be fully advanced or fully retarded....i would replace it along with the phaser to make sure no damage to the return spring. also make sure to solder and shrink wrap the harness back to OEM standards. then use conduit and electrical tape on top of that for a water tight seal. replace the connector if damaged with a harness pigtail from your local dealer.

ethrjock

forum member
Reaction score
Props for the quick reply

Can the phasers fully advance or retard with full lockouts in place? I bet that's what I'm hearing. The click of the clock spring clanging.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
do you have full lockouts? if they are locked out then no...the lockouts will prevent this.

mike@livernois

Official Vendor
Reaction score
If the cam phasers are locked out then you should not be getting any noise from them. Once locked out the phaser no longer moves, it's essentially a fixed gear at that point.

ethrjock

forum member
Reaction score
Yep. Full lockouts. I'm still searching for the root cause for belt breaking.

If there isn't any timing data to the ECM maybe the hydrolyics force the adjusters into a full timing retard and something broke.

mike@livernois

Official Vendor
Reaction score
If the phasers are locked out then it's impossible for them to move. Even with hydraulic force present there is no way to overcome the mechanical lock created by the aluminum wedge lockout inside of the phaser.

Last edited:

ethrjock

forum member
Reaction score
Yep. Thought so Mike. They are your blue lockouts too.

So what are the possible break points when the timing sensor electronics are broken yet the car was ran down the track to the end of the run when I shut her down?

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
if they are locked out it wouldnt matter. thats an odd one.

mike@livernois

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yep. Thought so Mike. They are your blue lockouts too.

So what are the possible break points when the timing sensor electronics are broken yet the car was ran down the track to the end of the run when I shut her down?

From a mechanical standpoint there really should not be any possible issues that can arise from losing the electronic portion of the VCT when the cam phaser is mechanically locked. There really should not be any effect.

Was there any other damage to the front of the engine?

ethrjock

forum member
Reaction score
I identified why the belt was breaking. The water pump pulley has moved 3/8" away from the motor.

That's causing the water pump pulley to be misaligned. I'd wager a bet when I repair the pump my rattle will go away.

If you zoom in on the photo you will see a line where the pump shaft was originally seated.

I'm thinking my belt is too tight which may have put too much stress on the pulp shaft.

a6890eb1-b197-99ab.jpg

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking it was something on the belt system. Seen that a few times. Time for an electric w.p.

ethrjock

forum member
Reaction score
I also think I need a longer belt but cant find one. The one I have is 122" K081223 and I have to remove the idler pulley just to get it on and the idler arm is very taught.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back