Really Needing Some Help Here Guys. 08 GT - Running Awful.

Townson

forum member
Reaction score
Alright gents, I'm about at my wits end. I've got an 08 GT and I've been battling some type of gremlin for a few months now. I'm going to start at the very beginning. This is going to be a long thread so bear with me.

Back in March I installed my wotbox. Car didn't want to idle after I had disconnected the battery. Did the idle relearn procedure and everything was gravy for about 2 weeks.

A few days after the first test n tune of drag season, the car would occasionally sputter while driving and only while driving. It would usually happen in 3rd and 4th gear at around 2,000 rpm under partial throttle. I figured it was the plugs.

Pulled the old plugs out (ht0's) and sure enough they were a mess. Installed new Champion 7989 plugs and all was good for about 2 days. Then the hesitation came back.

It's been gradually getting worse over the past month. I run my car at an 1/8th mile track every Thursday without fail and it runs good. On the way home and driving around the following days is when the trouble starts.

Wednesday I came to the conclusion that I had possibly either gotten bad gas, had a clogged fuel filter or my fuel pump was going out. Because the car only acts that way when it has a quarter tank or less. (So I thought)

Anyway, Thursday after work I put in a 1/3 of a can of seafoam and filled my tank from a quarter full to half full. I checked all my plugs, they looked great. I took off my throttle body and cleaned it. I cleaned the MAF. I reloaded my bama tune that I've had no trouble out of for the past year, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

When I got to the track, it was hauling ass. It made the best pass it has ever made. On the way home, no trouble.

Friday - got off work and had to drive a few towns over (about 30 miles) I got on the highway and had made it maybe 10 miles at a pretty consistent 70 mph or 2500ish rpms which is right in the danger zone to make it start acting up. Sure enough, it did. The lower on gas I got, the more it sputtered. It's kind of like the car is coughing. You'll get a clunk from the drivetrain and a sudden jolt and then it'll be back to normal for a few minutes.

I decided if it was bad gas, I'd run out as much as I could. Ran it until the light came on and then stopped at the gas station. By the time I got there it didn't even want to run. Sputtering nonstop, rpms dropping super low and then jumping back up when I engaged the clutch, etc.

Pulled up to the gas pump, added the rest of my can of seafoam, filled my tank up to about 3/4 and fired it up. It immediately tried to die as soon as I pulled out. However, once it ran for about a minute, it was back to normal. Felt strong. I didn't have anymore problems out of it all night.

Yesterday (Saturday) - got in the car to take my old lady out for mothers day. I had started the car earlier in the day and it sounded a little off. I revved it some and it sounded kind of bubbly and had a lot more popping to it than normal. Anyway, we take off. Car does fine for about 2 minutes, then starts the hesitation. It gradually gets worse and worse until it's basically bucking down the road. I feel a loss of power under throttle, and then boom, it dies. I clutch it, let it roll, then start it back. It does not sound good. It sounds like it's running on 4 cylinders while giving me whiplash doing its bucking bronco bit.

I look down and the wrench light is on, which I believe is limp mode. Correct me.

I turn around and manage to get it home, while it's still trying to die and sounds awful.

Got my SCT out and pulled the codes.

P0330 (knock sensor bank 2) which would explain why it was down on power. PCM cut timing.
P1000 (obd2 monitor testing not complete)
P061B (internal control module torque calculation performance)

I could really use some advice my friends. I'm leaning towards bad gas or one or more bad COP's.

Now, here's what my dad thinks: "that damn box you put on is what's causing it. There ain't a doubt in my mind."

He could very well have a point. The wotbox is spliced directly into the main coil power wire. If the box has a short or some of the soldering didn't hold up so well, it could be causing power surges I suppose.

Anyway, it's 3:28 am. I'm out of ideas. Help me out guys lol.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge and what is pressure doing when this happens? Did you replace the fuel filter?

Next though is bad or leaking fuel injector, next is poor or intermittent wire connection on the wotbox.

Phil1098

Reaction score
This is pretty simple........take the damn box off. Really, it's not like changing the crank, just take it off and see if the problem goes away, at least the one thing that has changed since it started running like shit is out of the equation. If the problem is still there, then chase other stuff. If it goes away, call the company that makes the box and ask them if they have ever seen this before.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
Defenantly start by removing the wot box. Mine acted up on me as well out of the blue.

I contacted them and they sent me a firmware update for it.

It's been fine since.

And I'll give credit where's it's due Lito walked me though a lot of the diagnosis before I contacted N2MB.

Townson

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to check all the solders today. Like I said, it would make sense, but it seems to me like if it had a poor connection it would've shown up sooner. Maybe all the vibration from launching at the track and driving it could've caused it.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Could try removing the box and jumping the wire so it passes straight through. Either it fixes and it's the box itself. Or it doesn't and it's solder job

Townson

forum member
Reaction score
Could try removing the box and jumping the wire so it passes straight through. Either it fixes and it's the box itself. Or it doesn't and it's solder job

How would you jump the wire? I read before where a guy did it, but I can't remember what he did and I can't find the thread.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
could do it the "proper" way by getting a plastic plug piece that fits, get the wire wrap from ignition wire in to ignition wire out.

Or ghetto way <i think this is how other guy did it> just jump it with a piece of wire and probably tape it in so it wont move

Townson

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure he jumped it at the pins. I'm kinda scared to try it like that, but without risk there's no reward lol

Townson

forum member
Reaction score
Alright, update: Jumped fire at the connector. Took the car on a 15 mile drive. Ran good, but felt a tad sluggish. Got almost back home, stopped at a stop sign, took off and it tried to die. Got it going and it sputtered and popped for a second under throttle until I got to the next stop sign about 100 yards away. Took off again and it was fine.

Didn't give me a light this time though. I'm gonna leave it setup the way it is for a few days and drive it. If it continues, I'll rule out the actual box and move on from there.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Did you disconnect battery to reset the learning thing

Townson

forum member
Reaction score
Did you disconnect battery to reset the learning thing

No. I read I could run the car until it warmed up, then let it idle on max a/c for a minute then cut it off and let it idle for another minute. I've driven it enough by now that it would have relearned it anyway even if I got it wrong.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i would check the oil pressure. it sounds like what happened to mine a few years ago

07 Boss

Reaction score
Nobody has suggested replacing the fuel pump yet?

I was thinking at least to check the pre filter on the bottom of the pump hat. Sounds like that cavitation issue but it wouldn't happen as often as the OP is experiencing I wouldn't think.

Townson

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking at least to check the pre filter on the bottom of the pump hat. Sounds like that cavitation issue but it wouldn't happen as often as the OP is experiencing I wouldn't think.

It will only cut out from a stop once it's up to operating temperature, and when it does, it will fight you pretty hard.

Say I'm out driving around, I'm driving at a consistent speed for a while. When I stop, by the time I take off, it'll try and die. It almost reminds me of an old carbureted engine loading up. But again, only after its gotten pretty warm. If I leave home and hit a few stop signs fairly quickly, it's fine.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
First thing I'd do is get rid of the Champion plugs and put HT0 back in. Stock cops I hope?

Townson

forum member
Reaction score
First thing I'd do is get rid of the Champion plugs and put HT0 back in. Stock cops I hope?

Yes sir. Stock COP's. The ht0's were really nasty. Had carbon buildup on the electrodes. You think I could clean them up?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back