Learning to make fast go fast!

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn that's some real damage done, at least you know it wasn't the tune, I don't see and signs of detonation causing the failure.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
that looks indicative of the factory rods getting a micro stress crack and breaking. I honestly think that billet rod just failed because if it was piston failure the piston would look much worse than it does

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that looks indicative of the factory rods getting a micro stress crack and breaking. I honestly think that billet rod just failed because if it was piston failure the piston would look much worse than it does

I don't know. If the block cracked and leaked coolant into the cylinder, the oil film would have failed on that side of the piston leading to its current state.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Here is what I see.

1. I have a spark plug missing the tip
2. Cracked cylinder wall
3. Broken piston
4. Broken rod
5. Bearing in the crank support is bad

Crank looks fine, bearings look good except the affected cylinder.

Piston tops and sides above the rings look good. No burns or metal flakes.

The way the piston was spun in the hole.I feel like the piston was damaged by the rod as well as the crack on the cylinder. If you look at the picture of the other side of the cylinder, you can see were it was starting to crack were the rod was hitting it as well.

So,why did the rod break? I feel like this is were it all started, but I'm no professional by no means.

We are going to send several pictures to a well know engine builder for his assessment of the damage and possibly help with a timeline of the events.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Here is what I see.

1. I have a spark plug missing the tip
2. Cracked cylinder wall
3. Broken piston
4. Broken rod
5. Bearing in the crank support is bad

Crank looks fine, bearings look good except the affected cylinder.

Piston tops and sides above the rings look good. No burns or metal flakes.

The way the piston was spun in the hole.I feel like the piston was damaged by the rod as well as the crack on the cylinder. If you look at the picture of the other side of the cylinder, you can see were it was starting to crack were the rod was hitting it as well.

So,why did the rod break? I feel like this is were it all started, but I'm no professional by no means.

We are going to send several pictures to a well know engine builder for his assessment of the damage and possibly help with a timeline of the events.

So you think the rod broke and started everything else? It sure looks that way from here.

What's on the build plan besides a new block? Oliver rods?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So you think the rod broke and started everything else? It sure looks that way from here.

What's on the build plan besides a new block? Oliver rods?

Not sure at this point. Its apparent that the stroker setup had nothing to due with it. Im not doing anything untill I talk to some professionals and get there opinions.

I am very lucky that Manuel knows such a great builder that is willing to even look at it for me.

One thing that is for sure after seeing the front bearing for the crank support, it will not be going back on the car.

So, whats next?

The me in me wants to go ahead and build a BB stroker with my current crank, new 6cc dish pistons instead of flattops, and a new rod while having the existing rods cleaned up and and checked.

Then there is the side that says just build that WAP block in your garage with the same decrease in CR.

That or build it like I had it and let it eat. it worked well at 7550 rpm for an entire year without issue while at 9.0CR.

So to answer your question, ?!?!?!!??!?!?!? :helpme:

I dont feel that oliver rods are any better then the Manley rods I have. I think its just one of those thing when getting into the 1000+ wheel HP.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Is the missing tip spark plug from the same cylinder as the damage? Could it be from the piston smacking it? The mind boggling thing is those rods should handle 1000rwhp+ all day long barely breaking a sweat, unless maybe it was damaged during a previous engine failure without being noticed, is that possible? There's almost for certain something else that failed that started the chain reaction. It certainly could have been off balance from the front support mandrel like you mentioned, by bad enough to cause that failure, who knows. What about the balancer, nothing appears out of order with that? How many RPM were you spinning it again? Also was the timing chain all in order up front, nothing slipped, etc.? Sorry for all the questions just trying to help troubleshoot,

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Is the missing tip spark plug from the same cylinder as the damage? Could it be from the piston smacking it? The mind boggling thing is those rods should handle 1000rwhp+ all day long barely breaking a sweat, unless maybe it was damaged during a previous engine failure without being noticed, is that possible? There's almost for certain something else that failed that started the chain reaction. It certainly could have been off balance from the front support mandrel like you mentioned, by bad enough to cause that failure, who knows. What about the balancer, nothing appears out of order with that? How many RPM were you spinning it again? Also was the timing chain all in order up front, nothing slipped, etc.? Sorry for all the questions just trying to help troubleshoot,
Yes the missing tip is from the same cylinder. That,I must be honest is why I am posting about a 6cc piston now instead if a flattop. And I must admit that some have said will make more power then a flattop in a high boost motor. Lol

No way the piston hit it, the head was there first. The plug cannot touch the piston in my motor.

I have also thought of the previous failures and no.

It could very well be from the crank support bearing failure as it is damaged. I will know more after some expert analysis.

Balancer, timing chains etc is all in order. I went through every part during disassembly and the parts I posted are the ones in question.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes the missing tip is from the same cylinder. That,I must be honest is why I am posting about a 6cc piston now instead if a flattop. And I must admit that some have said will make more power then a flattop in a high boost motor. Lol

No way the piston hit it, the head was there first. The plug cannot touch the piston in my motor.

I have also thought of the previous failures and no.

It could very well be from the crank support bearing failure as it is damaged. I will know more after some expert analysis.

Balancer, timing chains etc is all in order. I went through every part during disassembly and the parts I posted are the ones in question.

I wonder if harmonics from the "anvil" played any part in cracking the block. Just throwing ideas out there.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I have a feeling a piece of debris took out the plug strap, unrelated to the cause of the failure.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
There was no debris above the piston though.

ea3679ce63570eb55a88a8abf769b89f127a02a859a59fe773149e8a7aaf7f2a.jpg

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
I have a preference of oliver over manley. they look a little smaller but we've always run them in our sbf's and never had issue with them other than wearing the bronze pin bore liners which are replaceable. they are lighter than the manleys also from my recollection. this looks very, very similar to a stock rod failure to me so I'm betting the rod let go but we will see once you have it looked at by a proper surgeon

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
Man, I would give a lot of thought to never touching a 3V again.

I'm completely serious. There are other ways to have fun.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I'm trying to stay serious now. Maybe we should move this to tech now, I'm building shit and don't know what to do. Lol
I have a preference of oliver over manley. they look a little smaller but we've always run them in our sbf's and never had issue with them other than wearing the bronze pin bore liners which are replaceable. they are lighter than the manleys also from my recollection. this looks very, very similar to a stock rod failure to me so I'm betting the rod let go but we will see once you have it looked at by a proper surgeon

I'm open and undecided on everything at this point. Anything could happen.

I have oliver in my coyote!
Your not helping. Lol

There will be no Coyote in my car. Haha
Man, I would give a lot of thought to never touching a 3V again.

I'm completely serious. There are other ways to have fun.
The only way to make me happy is my 3v scaring the shit out of me every time down the track or put it in the floor. And then there is the discussion in the lanes and pits with the guys with the newer Mustangs and GT500s and all out race cars coming to to see why they got out ran.lol

If I only had a dollar for Everytime Manuel asked me if Im sure this is what I wanted to do... I might have the money for the new motor by now. It's nice to work with someone who know what I'm trying to do and offers his options and support but in the end let's me push as hard as I want to.

IMO, that comes from me being the kind of guy that excepts responsibility for what I build and ask him to do for me.

What can I say , I love to push what I have. Manuel will probably agree that I am one of his most insane clients. Haha
We all have reasons for the things we do, right now I'm like a gambler on a bad run I guess.

Last edited:
Back