Long Term Engine Storage - How to?

Parker Lewis

forum member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m going to be storing my stock 3v engine for a couple years and I did a search on the forum but couldn't find much if anything specific to engine storage so I’m looking for some advice.

Here’s my story – I have a low mile 4.6L from a 2005 mustang GT and I am transplanting it into my new edge mustang sometime in the future, which in all reality will probably be a few years from now. I already have the delete plates and cam phaser lockouts, that’s all I plan to do to the engine. It currently sits on an engine stand and I was going to change the oil, pull the plugs (carefully!) and fog the cylinders, install the phaser lockouts and delete plates, then button everything back up and seal off all hoses and openings to prevent critters from getting inside. Then I figure I can bag it or cover it in a couple bedsheets, etc. and store it in the garage. Then someday whenever I get it in the vehicle I can change the oil again and manually prime it prior to the first start up.

Should I smear any lube or oil on the cams or valve train since I’ll have the valve covers off to do the lockouts? Is there anything with what I wrote above that is way off? Is fogging oil ok for our aluminum engines? I plan to use it since it will help to prevent moisture inside the cylinders.

Thank you to anyone that an offer advice, I appreciate it!

KemahGT

forum member
Reaction score
I would find a way to keep any moisture out by using a "Golden Rod" or other type of heater. You could probably seal up the engine in heavy plastic with one sitting in the valley between the heads. Also, a block heater like they use up north would be another method. Anything to keep it warmer than the surrounding air.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would find a way to keep any moisture out by using a "Golden Rod" or other type of heater. You could probably seal up the engine in heavy plastic with one sitting in the valley between the heads. Also, a block heater like they use up north would be another method. Anything to keep it warmer than the surrounding air.

^^that is actually pretty sound suggestions^^

05xgt

Reaction score
Might look into vaccuum sealing. Vaccuum=0 moisture.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back