Long Tube Headers - Clearance Issue?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting SLP or American Racing LTH's for my car. My problem is this; I have lowered the car with the FFRP FR500C suspension. I only have 3.5 inches of ground clearance at my lowest point. I am being warned about clearance issues by a local speed shop.

My questions for those who have LTH's (or sell / manufacture them);

Does any part of the headers (tubes, trailing flange, etc) hang lower then frame or factory side skirts?

AND / OR

If you have stock suspension, can someone measure the distance between the low spot on the headers and the ground?

AND / OR

If you have a car that has been lowered 2 inches or more, have you had problems with rubing on your LTH's?

Thanks in advance....Spaz

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car has only been lowered 1" in front and 1-1/4" in the rear and I have to be careful or I rub going into driveways on speed bumps etc. For example I can't aim one tire for the "break" in the center of speed bumps or I bottom out. I have to take them square on with both wheels and really slowly. For me it is not a problem but I do have to keep it in mind.It may be a real concern for you. Price you pay for being "slammed" perhaps.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the JBA's and they're equal to the frame rails.
JBA quality control is questionable at times although my headers have no problems.
I would get the ARH due to the sound of the H-Pipe.

398082L.JPG

55886L.JPG

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's not my headers that hit. My midpipe hangs a little low in the rear. A muffler shop could fix it by cutting an inch or so out of the over the differential pipes and rewelding to pull it up some but I'm too cheap!:beerdrink:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
That's awesome feedback guys. Thanks for the info. Great Pics Thump...

I can't use commercial carwashes, go over speed bumps, etc. My main concern is if I am running down the highway at normal driving and hit a dip in the road, I don't want to grind the exhaust. Since the headers are not hanging below the frame, I am sure I'll be fine.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
id get the ARH if you want clearance. They are one of the longest tubes and they dont hang lower than the frame rail of the car so clearance issues wont be a problem

heres a pic
DSCN0092.jpg

DSCN0091.jpg

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Very cool...I am adding them the to shopping list. Making the purch on Nov 16. Seeing exactly what I want in application helps. Thanks.

howarmat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to see.....this is one of my concerns also! Thanks tbird!

travelers

Reaction score
id get the ARH if you want clearance. They are one of the longest tubes and they dont hang lower than the frame rail of the car so clearance issues wont be a problem
+1 on the ARHs I have the catted H and no problem with clearince.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I ordered them a few days ago. Can't wait to start the build. I have about $5K in parts on my garage floor right now...

F00Mustang

Goes from a dig
Reaction score
I have the Hooker's, so does Spyder, never had a problem. They tucked right inside the frame rail. Never scraped.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Hooker was my other choice, but I got the ceramic AR Headers for the same price as the Hooker SS.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
$1200 for Ceramic Headers, Catted X, and QT Cutouts...another $300 for the electric cutout valve/motor set.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back