Looking for a DA Polisher HELP!

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
Ok guys as stated above i'm looking for something to buy, must be a Dual action.
I will be using it on my 2010 Grabber blue GT and I do detailing as a side job, would like to be able to get a machine that can handle both. Has anyone had any experience with the meguirs machine? I think its around $150-160 or should i stay away from it?

also, my car is garage kept super clean NC weather car but it does have some light swirls and scratches as well as a few more severe scratches on the roof I would like to remove.
What pads and products should I get? I've been researching like crazy but its all a bit much to take in at the moment.. anything helps guys

Count

forum member
Reaction score
I've never used the meguires but have seen many people using Porter Cable buffers...

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Griots Garage and the PC7424XP are great starter DA's and will not break the bank.

The Griots does have a bit more power, but, power is not really needed if you have the technique down.

28ONE

Reaction score
The Griots Garage 6" is best bang for the buck with a lifetime warranty. Since you'll be detailing on the side, I'd personally recommend the Flex 3401. In addition, get the Detailer's Club membership ($50 Annauly) from Autoality.com, you'll save a ton of money on the products you'll need. As for pads and polishes:

DA
Lake Country CCS Pads
Lake Counttry Flat Pads
Lake Country Hydrotech Pads

Flex
Lake Country Hybrids

Compounds/Polishes
Menzerna FG400
Menzerna SF4000
HD Polish

When it comes to pads, I usually stock at least 7-10 Cut pads, 7-10 Polish pads. Generally takes 6-7 pads to complete a vehicle - I don't like stopping and cleaning pads on the fly...

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
ok so i've narrowed it down between the meguiars porter cable and griots.. there all around $150 which is affordable for me. everyone seems to be raving about the porter cable so which one should i get? Advantages to either of them?

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
I have been using the meguiars ultimate compound as my choice of compound because i feel it is a good all purpose compound that produces results and is versitile which is what i like in a product...
so should i get a pad for cutting and use the compound for it
another pad for swirl remover
and then just wax with another pad after that? or do i have this all wrong?

28ONE

Reaction score
ok so i've narrowed it down between the meguiars porter cable and griots.. there all around $150 which is affordable for me. everyone seems to be raving about the porter cable so which one should i get? Advantages to either of them?

Get the Griots - more power and lifetime warranty, then buy it from here $125

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/griots-garage-random-orbital-da-polisher-gg6.html

As for pads you got. Since you like Meguiars, try out some M105 & M205 - much better that what you have...

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
Ok so griots it is.
i'm trying to get a system down for customer cars.. as for my car i'll probably just use a light swirl remover and wax back over it? or no?
i've been doing a lot of research on auto geek.net and they have a da polishing how to thing but it shows about 6 different pads and i just need to figure out which pads i need..
i want one for compounding (something thats versatile)
one for swirl removing as well as a good product to use.. maybe meguiars swirl 2.0??
and a pad for applying a liquid wax..

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
i just went to the link for that griots and like there 3 pad system that seems to be a lot easier! thanks 28ONE! now for some good products.. preferably things i can get at advance auto parts..

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
also whats a good product and which pad should i use ( the orange or black) for removing buffer streaks? my daily 2001 cavalier, blue, has horrible buffer streaks from a previous orbital buffing detail..

28ONE

Reaction score
Don't shop at the parts store for detailing so can't help you there. Basically you use a cut pad with a compound and a polishing pad with the polish - Pad colors vary by mfg...you always do a test spot (least aggressive approach) with your pad/product combo and if it meets your expectations and gives you the results you want then you proceed. If it doesn't then continue on till you find the right combo...

The products and pads I listed previous are all from experience and why I've personally used...check out this threads - very informative

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40276

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84488

Last edited:

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Im gonna give this section a good read through again. I really want to start buffing and detailing on the side and ive already snagged some good customers just from interior detail and exterior wash and waxing. I have a buddy that does some side jobs detailing cars and he making some nice pocket money. I wanna get more in depth into it and get good at it and try to snag some customers up this spring and summer for some jobs

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
I will add if you are serious about doing this on the side, dont even bother using off the shelf stuff for correction. It takes more work for the same result. Get the detailers club account on Autoality and buy in bulk. The discounts will more than cover shipping, and you have a better selection of good, top quality products as well.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Damn op if you posted this up a couple of weeks ago you could of came by my house one day and I could of let you try a whole bunch of products and pad selection. I have a flex 3401 and I could get my hands on my old griots for you to try out.

Definitely go with the griots over the PC. Its a great machine and plenty strong for any job and also a awesome lifetime warranty.

Like 28one said menzerna some awesome products also check out 3dhd products are some. You could get HD cut, polish, and adapt and probably be set for just about any car unless they need extreme cutting.

Keep in mind it all starts with drying and washing swirl wise.

If you want to do client cars look into sealants like menzerna powerlock or Four star ultimate paint protection. They are synthetic so they last longer and can be applied much faster. They are usually super easy to buff off also.

As mentioned get an autoality member ship it will save you a ton.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back