Looking for another Mustang

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
Hey gang. Long time, no see. I haven't been around much since my '05 GT got totaled 3 years ago. Lately, I've gotten the bug to get another mustang, and I was looking for a new edge. Now, I've decided to get into another 05-09. The plan is for it to be a semi-daily driver, with basic bolt-ons (exhaust, tuner, etc.). As I begin my search, could ya'll refresh my memory with what I should be looking for, and what I should avoid. Owning a 5.4 3V F150, I'm familiar with the stuck plug scenario, so in that vein, I'm looking for troublesome things that may have popped up in the years I've been away. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Do you need something you can drive right away? Ah, I just actually read your post, daily driver, skip the next line and go to the last one.

I'd pick up a V6 and a GT500 parts car. Or a V6, a GT parts car, and an LS engine. I'm pretty sure lito could tune the LS to run with the 4.6 controls - I wonder if you could fit a 5.0 throttle body. Man, that would be neat.

The 08+ V8 cars don't have the plug problem (look for brown coil boots,) and they don't seem to have phaser issues.

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey gang. Long time, no see. I haven't been around much since my '05 GT got totaled 3 years ago. Lately, I've gotten the bug to get another mustang, and I was looking for a new edge. Now, I've decided to get into another 05-09. The plan is for it to be a semi-daily driver, with basic bolt-ons (exhaust, tuner, etc.). As I begin my search, could ya'll refresh my memory with what I should be looking for, and what I should avoid. Owning a 5.4 3V F150, I'm familiar with the stuck plug scenario, so in that vein, I'm looking for troublesome things that may have popped up in the years I've been away. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
If price is no object ???

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/nashville/2008/ford/mustang-S608.html

Terry

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
Yeah, not too encouraging so far but I'm not in too much of a hurry. It took me forever to find my 05. Sucked big time when it was totaled. I'm glad I got my F150 to replace it, but I've always missed having a Mustang.

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
Took me 3 months to find a good deal on a s197 GT. Take your time and check all VIN histories. I almost bought a car with rolled back miles (was NOT on the dealers report, fuckers).

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Get a GT500. Any year preference. That's what I'll be doing when I get back into it. But if you have a passion for turning a wrench and being unique, same opinion on any year GT you prefer. I still have the urge to get a clean fox and do a 408 stroker fat on nitrous, but that's bucket list stuff for me.

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
IMO, find the most stock GT that you can. These cars tend to be really reliable from what I understand so they'd be most vulnerable to abuse and bad mods. That 3v is one awesome sounding engine so you almost can't blame any owner for grabbing regular 6k shifts...but there's a difference between enjoying the drivetrain and someone who powershifts regularly, bounces off the redline, etc... Otherwise, just the basics will apply.

Maintenance records are invaluable (most people won't have any, of course), look for any unusual wear and tear that might indicate rough treatment. Make sure the tires match, are the right size, actually have some tread on them. Honestly, I'd feel better about a car with old tires that showed normal wear than one with mismatching new-ish tires.

Ask to watch a cold startup and stand behind the car, keeping an eye out for blue smoke. The 4.6L 3vs often smoke a little bit on start up but anything excessive should be a red flag.

As for body stuff...I haven't seen too many rusty ones yet but check under the floor mats for moisture as these cars had a design flaw that let water into the floor pan, IIRC. Check the leading edge of the hood for blistering in the paint...it's almost inevitable some fared better than others. If it's starting, factor a repaint ( which is only a temporary solution) or a fiberglass hood swap into your offer.

Maybe this is obvious stuff...but when shopping used performance cars, my experience indicates that you can usually trust your gut. A lot of guys just beat the heck out of these cars and a lot of guys cherish and take great care of them...not too much in between. Talk to the owner and try to get a sense of their level of knowledge and their attitude towards the car. Look for little things (like if it has aftermarket wheels and lacking TPMS sensors, this would say a lot about the mentality of the owner, IMO). Ask why they're selling it too. You can learn a lot here.

Ford sold A LOT of Mustang GTs so patience will pay off. You don't need to settle for a machine that has been mistreated.

Good luck with your hunt!!

Last edited:

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate it.
So far, it looks like there are more opportunities to find a nicer car if I go with an automatic tranny. All my previous stangs were manuals, so I'm inclined to stick with the 5-spd. I guess, in broader terms, the autos may tend to live easier lives?

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate it.
So far, it looks like there are more opportunities to find a nicer car if I go with an automatic tranny. All my previous stangs were manuals, so I'm inclined to stick with the 5-spd. I guess, in broader terms, the autos may tend to live easier lives?

As a rule of thumb, auto equipped cars definitely live easier lives. Hopefully someone will have experience with any longevity issues on that transmission...

FWIW, I suspect that you'll see MPG loss compared to the 5spd...which may matter if this is your daily.

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
There are monitors on the fronts of the head rests?

The hell?

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
IMO...FWIW...like the song says "If you Want to Play in TX, Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band"...do it right and get a V8/Manual. Not bashing V6 and/or Auto tranny's, but muscle cars need...muscle. ;) :D

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
What side of town are you on? There are tons of s197s over here on the west side. But then again, it’s the west side lol. Andrew from mustang lifestyle is selling his mostly stock 2v for like 3500 if you want just a fun project car. Food for thought, I’ve been thinking about it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back