Looking for guidance on how to swap instrument clusters

bond007pr

Reaction score
As title reads. did some seacrhing in the DIY tech on how to replace the instr. cluster in my '10 v6 from 4-gauge to 6-gauge, but did not find anything conclusive. My questions are:
1. Is this doable without having to take the car to the dealer to get it programmed?
2. Will this render my car unable to start? I had a friend with an'03 F150 base model. When he tried to install a cluster with the tach option into it, the truck wouldn't start until the factory cluster was put back-in.
3. How involved is the process if doable?

Please let me know. I'm already also considering updating the "base" steering wheel with a "premium" one. That seems pretty straightforward, (per what I saw in the guides).

Thanks

Cancerman

Reaction score
I have done this to my 08 V6 stick car. Since I'm in the process of installing a new motor, I have not tested this in my car yet. You have to add the select / reset switch when doing this as the status panel needs the signal from it. It's about $40 new online. I powered up the car after installing the panel and switch, without starting it. I got the gauges to respond so that was a good indication. The status panel functioned from the switch inputs, and the dash color changed from white (engine ignition off, with headlights on) to Blue with the Ignition on in the run position. So probably in the next week I'll be ready for the first start of the new engine and break in process. I'll post how it goes. Once you get all the panels out of the way, the cluster is just plug in.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Bond's car is a later year; slightly different dash/instruments setup though I've never heard that swapping out clusters resulted in a no-start condition like the F-150. Since I have an earlier model I can't say what his setup is without manuals or online resource materials but I would imagine similar to ours.

The process to change out instrument/dash items for 05 - 09's are fairly straight forward. Simple plug/play for the 05 - 09's. I personally cannot say however how much of a difference there is between the 05 - 09 and 10 models. If you can find the items you need inexpensively it's worth the experiment unless you can find someone who's already done it.

Cancerman

Reaction score
Thanks for the lesson DieHard, I did not realize that the 10 was a crossover model, I thought it was the '11 model.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yes you can do it yourself.
You need Forscan with license, and elm327 adapter with ms/hs can switch.
I think PATS is in the cluster on 10's and up. Can program pats w/forscan.

bond007pr

Reaction score
Ok, first , thanks for migrating this thread to the proper section.
Second, thanks for all you imput. I'll try to resource the parts as cheap as possible.

One other thing please, if I install the select/reset function switch, even with the 4-gauge cluster, will I be able to edit/ control functions in the screen for the radio etc.?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, first , thanks for migrating this thread to the proper section.
Second, thanks for all you imput. I'll try to resource the parts as cheap as possible.

One other thing please, if I install the select/reset function switch, even with the 4-gauge cluster, will I be able to edit/ control functions in the screen for the radio etc.?

Yes, everything should work as designed by Ford.
The only potential issue I see is the cluster option configuration. You may need to experiment with Forscan a little configuring the new (to you) cluster with existing options of the old. Or you could get lucky and it will be almost plug and play. 99% sure you will need to reprogram the keys after plugging in the new cluster.
Btw, I prefer to use a wired usb elm327 for programming. And you do need a windows pc to run Forscan. Need to confirm on the 2010 if PATS module is in cluster like 11&up.
After installing cluster:
Go to pcm, and select "reset learned adaptation" this will establish PATS handshake of cluster and pcm.
Than go to PATS programming. Erase existing keys (used cluster right?) And add your two keys. You MUST have 2 keys to program PATS!!!! You can have more keys but minimum is two.

Suecra

Reaction score
I swapped my car when it was still a v6, with a 6-gauge gt cluster and other then getting the switches for the center dash it worked perfectly including being accurate with the tach and speedo.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back