LSD DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by Stage 3 Proto, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Stage 3 Proto

Stage 3 Proto Junior Member

You seem to know your LSD's Do you know if a bad or worn LSD can cause a very loud noise that sounds like a small bomb went off in my back seat when under extreme acceleration. I have a 2011 Roush stage 3. I have eliminated everything from the clutch back to the rear end. This sounds strange but it almost seems like the pinion gear is jumping one tooth when this bang occurs. Is this even possible? Any help is appreciated .

2. Stage 3 Proto

3.73 LSD

I want to take the rear cover off and at least visually inspect the gears but now I'm worried about what lube oil to put back in it !

2011 Roush stage 3 with two motor upgrades done by Roush Performance for a total of 675 HP at the crank.

New one piece Ford Racing drive shaft with new U-joints. Also, all new BMR uca and mounting bracket.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
  3. 08MustangDude

08MustangDude forum member

4. Racer47

Racer47 Doesn't have much to say S197 Team Member

ck the bushings at both ends of the upper rear end link, also called the 3rd link, top center of diff.

5. 08MustangDude

08MustangDude forum member

HE said, NEW BMR UCA, so one end is fine, obviously. He would have seen
    the other one on the diff housing if it were bad, when putting on the BMR Link.

6. RED09GT

RED09GT Senior Member S197 Team Member

That bushing can be torn but look fine to a visual inspection. Mine looked fine but when I pried at the center, it maybe had a half inch of rubber holding it in place, it was torn almost all the way around.

7. Wingrider

Wingrider GT500 track guy

Something could be moving under acceleration back there as load is put on all the components. could be bumping against the pinion snubber, or as others have said, bad / loose bushing / link. Could also just be a new noise you just get used to after swapping out the UCA and bracket.

I know when I switched to my Cortex suspension there were all sorts of new sounds that after I double checked, I just learn to accept in trade for the benefits.

8. Stage 3 Proto

9. Stage 3 Proto

Thanks