LT install

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can do it yourself and save a lot of money, trust me if I can do it you can do it

onebadgsx

Reaction score
what kind of time are we talking, i have the tools and am sure i can do it, i just dont know about being on my back for that long with out a lift, its looks like it could be tuff.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only hard part for me was cutting the stock h-pipe and mating it to the collectors.
Total time was 7-8 hours, and we didn't know what we were doing. We it took us 3 hours to do the passenger side because we didn't know the studs could come out lol... word of advice: get locking bolts replace all the studs with them!!!! and use copper gasket maker to help seal it!!!

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
also, boxed ratchet wrenches help a TON

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Installing long tubes is really no big deal, just time consuming. I had to remove the steering shaft on the driver side, otherwise the driver side was easy. The passenger side was harder, had to remove starter and unbolt the engine mount to jack up the engine a couple inches.

Actually the hardest part for me was taking off the stock h-pipe. They were torqued so tight to the stock manifolds that I actually broke a stud off breaking the bolts loose. I swear they must have been torqued to 150+ ftlbs. Someone at Ford was having a bad day or something.

matt texass

Reaction score
did another JBA lt install on a buddies car this weekend with 2 jack stands and 1 floor jack. easy peasy. Then again I've done it a few times.

onebadgsx

Reaction score
alright i have passenger side manifold out starter out and both motor mounts out with the motor lifted. i cannot seem to get the passenger side header up past the frame and starter boss. any ideas?? maybe i need to lift the car more. also do you have to remove the 2 nuts for the steering rack or just the 1 bolt on the linkage. i pulled the 1 bolt on the linkage but cant seperate it. i broke 1 socket already trying to remove the nuts for the steering rack, this was with a breaker bar, impact gun doesn't budge them either.

travelers

Reaction score
Its not that hard to do depending on who's LTs you get Mine took about 6 hours with changing the M/Ms at the same time.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
alright i have passenger side manifold out starter out and both motor mounts out with the motor lifted. i cannot seem to get the passenger side header up past the frame and starter boss. any ideas?? maybe i need to lift the car more. also do you have to remove the 2 nuts for the steering rack or just the 1 bolt on the linkage. i pulled the 1 bolt on the linkage but cant seperate it. i broke 1 socket already trying to remove the nuts for the steering rack, this was with a breaker bar, impact gun doesn't budge them either.

Some times it is easier if you leave one motor mount attached to the motor will piviot instead of trying to lift it straight up

HTH

onebadgsx

Reaction score
what kind of bolts or studs did you guys use with JBA's on the drivers side top. the studs are too long as well as the stage 8 locking header bolts i bought. they hit a primary that runs across the top, so you can not get anything in the hole to bolt it to the head.

thanks

matt texass

Reaction score
I've always used the studs on these cars. Just came a back a week later to make sure that they were tight.

onebadgsx

Reaction score
the studs do not fit the drivers side top rear holes period unless you cut them. i just finished the install i had to hammer in some stage 8 header bolt into the holes, anyways all done.

matt texass

Reaction score
You leave the studs in the head and let the header sit on them. Then start all the bolts so you don't have fitment issues. But I see you got it on.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back