Mach E no start concnern

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
F1 hybrid systems do work, but even they cant use the electric assist all the time. You hear them talking about running without it to charge them up for the pass attempt.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
F1 hybrid systems do work, but even they cant use the electric assist all the time. You hear them talking about running without it to charge them up for the pass attempt.
When the F1 hybrids 1st came out, the electric provided for an additional 80 hp for 6 seconds. The following year, they increased the battery capacity 10 fold. Instead of 80 hp for 60 seconds, they decided on 160 hp for 30 seconds. Dunno if that is still the same format or not. There was also only certain portions of the track that the electric boost assist could be used...for overtaking cars on the lead lap. With 19-21 corners, there is plenty of regenerative braking going on. It's a whole different strategy involved.

Having an extra 100-200 hp boost from an electric motor, for a NA street car would be a riot.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
When the F1 hybrids 1st came out, the electric provided for an additional 80 hp for 6 seconds. The following year, they increased the battery capacity 10 fold. Instead of 80 hp for 60 seconds, they decided on 160 hp for 30 seconds. Dunno if that is still the same format or not. There was also only certain portions of the track that the electric boost assist could be used...for overtaking cars on the lead lap. With 19-21 corners, there is plenty of regenerative braking going on. It's a whole different strategy involved.

Having an extra 100-200 hp boost from an electric motor, for a NA street car would be a riot.
Nitrous!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Flip side is, F1 cars are all hybrids, including regenerative braking, and they seem to have it down to a fine art. The 'Formula E' cars are 100% electric, also have regenerative braking... and they too have it down to a fine art, so either method can be made to work from a track car perspective....so it's all seamless and transparent to the driver. But the F1 hybrid / Formula E cars may well be far more advanced in response, and handling vs a consumer street car.
Track perspective is the easy problem to solve - you know going in that just about everything is being done at a max-effort level.

Street driving is far more complicated. Human drivers have an infinite number of 'drive modes' or whatever, compared to only a handful of electronic approximations (that introduce needless fiddliness). Even DSGs still don't always get the street side of their operation quite right.

Norm

Bullitt2954

Reaction score
When a MIL is set, and it won’t run - do you get the GUY-Gaga-GUY-Gaga-Guy-Gaga Noize from the speakers? Doesn’t it have Optional “Engine Sound”?

:hidesbehindsofa:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Sails then, 100% efficient
Actually I dont believe that is correct.
Huh? You’d best check again.

Googly “Thermodynamic Efficiency of Steam Power Boilers”, for starters.
No need to google something I already know. We no longer use steam locomotives as diesel - electric and fully electric engines replaced them.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Steam turbines work pretty good in nuclear subs. One small chunk of uranium is good for 30 years.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Steam turbines work pretty good in nuclear subs. One small chunk of uranium is good for 30 years.
Great, can that system be used in cars? As this thread is about cars.

As a side note, near 200 mpg was achieved by the diesel - electric VW xl1 (of the claimed 300 mpg potential). Yet we still accept the "awesome 50mpg_ of the prius. Which is bearly more than the 40-ish mpg achieved by many compact, conventional gas powered cars.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Great, can that system be used in cars? As this thread is about cars.

As a side note, near 200 mpg was achieved by the diesel - electric VW xl1 (of the claimed 300 mpg potential). Yet we still accept the "awesome 50mpg_ of the prius. Which is bearly more than the 40-ish mpg achieved by many compact, conventional gas powered cars.
Prius hybrid gets 'lousy' fuel economy on the hwy at 70 mph. On the hwy, there is no electric motor being used..and no regenerative braking.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Prius hybrid gets 'lousy' fuel economy on the hwy at 70 mph. On the hwy, there is no electric motor being used..and no regenerative braking.
Even highway only mpg is poor compared to what is possible/availabe today. Why would anyone drive an "up to 70mpg" car when we have tech that gets 172 mpg? (IIRC, thats what they actually got with the xl1) Yet we are still dicking around with shitty hybrids and full EVs that are not ready for prime time use.

If there was a hybrid-type vehicle that got 150mpg or better, and looked cool, I would be interested. But these cookie cutter shitboxes do nothing for me. I want more than just basic transportation.

Bullitt2954

Reaction score
Actually I dont believe that is correct.

No need to google something I already know. We no longer use steam locomotives as diesel - electric and fully electric engines replaced them.
Oh? Then perhaps the “10% efficiency” you quoted was a Typo?

You know why we use Diesel-Electric Locomotives in the US? Because a Monkey can operate one. Not because Steam is “inferior”.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

You know why we use Diesel-Electric Locomotives in the US? Because a Monkey can operate one. Not because Steam is “inferior”.

No way to put any type of auto / manual transmission on a diesel train..with 1 mile of coal cars behind it. Hence the diesel driving a 3 phase AC generator, which in turn powers the electric motors. When going down hills, the electric motors now become generators....and they dump the electrical load via rows of nichrome bar, load resistors, up on the roof, and a myriad of contactors. Air brakes slow down the rest of the train.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score

Steam power is not inferior, its inefficient when compared to diesel electric or fully electric.
You look it up, I know how efficient steam locomotives were. It is not a typo.

Bullitt2954

Reaction score
You look it up, I know how efficient steam locomotives were. It is not a typo.
It is also incorrect. This is not the 1850s.

(just an FYI - I have held a high-pressure Stationary Steam Power Operator’s License since 1994, and a Class II Boiler Engineer License since 1998 - among other Professional Licenses)

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back