Magnum xl/RXT clutch question

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
I have a magnum xl, and bought a Mcleod RXT and done the install with a shop that has a lift. We went through instructions, 100% installed correctly, but when you engage the clutch and go into gear, the car pulls forward slightly like it's not engaging properly. Will also roll backwards when you put it into reverse. I can also tell it HATES high rpms now and it's much harder to go into gear past 5500 rpm. How can i help this?

travelers

Reaction score
You don't have the throw out bearing set right. What throw out bearing did you use? I have the Magnum in my '11 and used a new stock bearing with mine. I went with the RST. No problem getting into gear and shifts good at 7000. Did you get all the air out of the system?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to bleed the system. Pump the pedal 50 or so times, check fluid, add if necessary, repeat. Sometimes you'll need to repeat this a few times. My pedal is the opposite with my RST, it is too high for my liking.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to bleed the system. Pump the pedal 50 or so times, check fluid, add if necessary, repeat. Sometimes you'll need to repeat this a few times. My pedal is the opposite with my RST, it is too high for my liking.

I have an RXT with a TR-6060 and agree with this....the engagement is pretty high for me, which means it is disengaging pretty quickly. No issues other than that.

What slave are you using? Is this a new trans? Make sure the input shaft isn't binding on the clutch disc for some reason (bent shaft, burrs on spline, etc.)

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Agree with #2 & #3. Air in the system or not enough shim behind the throwout bearing. I just installed the shim that came with my Magnum, with a new, stock (Dorman) slave and it works great. And I'm still using the stock master cyl and plastic clutch line. ( CF dual friction clutch )

How is the pedal feel? I had somewhat of a difficult time getting all the air out. That last little bit of air took some time/driving to work its way out of the system.

The only thing that is left if not shimming or air, is a defective pressure plate.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Pedal feel is super soft, same as stock. Feels fine. Trans is not new I've had it in the car probably a year or so no issues. I bought a brand new slave to put in the car with the install of the clutch and flywheel and it's OEM. Also, this clutch, flywheel, and slave have all been in the car over 500 miles so it's had plenty of pumping, I don't see how air could be in the system at this point. And everyone complains of them being too high, buddy of mine has nearly the same setup in his magnum xl and he complains it's too high as well.

Mojo88

Reaction score
I'm late to this party, but I have Magnum XL with RST. On mine, I have to make sure clutch is fully depressed while cold, otherwise I will get some notchiness (is that a word?). After warmup, this issue goes away, tranny shifts smooth and clutch grabs with pedal about halfway up.

I've been driving with standard (single-disc) clutches for 40+ years. This is my first dual-disc clutch and it is definitely a little trickier to drive/shift than a single-disc.... not much, but just a tad. I do like it though.

Eedd

Reaction score
I had purchased my RXT in Oct 2016 and had the same issues as you. I measured the center disk against the floater straps and they were about .028" apart. I thought that was too close and sent it in for warranty repair after talking to Mcleod tech. They completely rebuilt it with a new for 2017-18 center floater design that had the straps much much farther away from the center clutch disk. And they only charged me $78 which included shipping and a solid bronze pilot bearing! Fixed it 100%
I was so sure it was the fault of the Magnum XL that I sent it in to Tremec to test on their spin test machine, it passed with flying colors they didn't even want to disassemble it. That's when I took a closer look at The RXT.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry, little late for a post but. Done some looking, looks like I need a shim kit. Now, where in the h*** do you get those? Is it a backing plate that sits behind the TOB? Do I order a whole kit? Or one after a measurement? Somebody have a link to one for our cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
I don’t see how taking the trans out, measuring for a shim and then letting it sit at a shop waiting for parts would be efficient. Should I order the most few common sizes shims? And return the ones I don’t use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back