Maybe recoup in 13k miles?

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I put some Reflectix insulation on my motor this week. I kept it well away from any hot spots like headers. I realize now that taping the blanket to the motor was unnecessary; the hood holds the blanket snugly in place.
I drive my Mustang in the winter in Michigan when the roads are free of snow, ice, slush, and salt. I may park the car for a couple hours, and by the time I return to it, the motor is about 32 degrees below Witch's Toe. The insulation I installed definitely traps at least a little heat for at least a couple hours. The car definitely warms up faster after an extended park on a cold day. It seems to have improved my expected mileage by maybe .1mpg as reported by car's computer.
The roll of insulation I bought cost $10 at the orange home improvement store. [Most of the roll is still available for other projects.] $10 is about three gallons of gas in Michigan. So I only have to drive about 13k miles in the winter to recoup the cost of the whole roll. Partay!!!

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
In MN, we always installed engine block heaters in everything on the farm...tractors, trucks, cars, etc., but nice/cheap alternative.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back