Mickey Thompson ET Street R, Feedback?

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I have to replace my MT ET Street Radial IIs.
Here they are as my car sits now; these are 305/35/18s.

DSC09278_zps70cda42a.jpg

MT Street Radial II in a 305/35/18 on a 18x10 rim.

DSC09270_zps5c856209.jpg

I can only use 18s due to the size of my rear brakes. This car is mostly setup for road course and part time drag racing.

I would like to use a taller tire and my options are to go with the following sizes:

MT ET Street R in 305/45/18 = 28.8 overall diameter
MT ET Street S/S in 305/40/18 = 27.6 overall diameter

According to online tire calculators, using the 28.8 diameter tire, will reduce tire to fender well clearance by 30mm = 1.18". I know I need to measure the tire/fender well gap, but from the picture, preliminary guesses seem that it will work.

It also says the 28.8 tire is 8.9% taller...will that make a huge difference in the final gear/drive ratio? I am currently running 4.10s and its way too short for my power level. I wish I would have gone with 3.73 at most. Maybe should have left the 3.55 in there.

Anyway, looking for some feed back on these MT tires and what yall think about the sizes, experiences, etc... What PSI do you guys recommend?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run the 305/45/18's as my DD tires and I love them. Clearance isn't any problem and they handle very well. Per MT I run them at 35 psi on the street. Here are a couple of shots of them, on an 18x10 wheel with 7 1/4 inch backspacing and Steeda UltraLite springs. By the way these wheels will be for sale soon for anyone interested.

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, I am running Steeda Sport springs which Steeda claims is a 1.25" drop in the rear.

The Ultra-lites are claimed to drop 1.5".

So I should be good!! Awesome news!!

When though I have the Sport springs I feel like I am super low. Lol I'd hate to see how low the ultra-lites are.

Thank you so much.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. You will love the tires. I have been caught in thunderstorms several times with them and they have always performed great. I think they are a great DD tire for high HP cars, in the warm months. I don't run them in the colder months but from about May to Oct they are on my car.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
You're welcome. You will love the tires. I have been caught in thunderstorms several times with them and they have always performed great. I think they are a great DD tire for high HP cars, in the warm months. I don't run them in the colder months but from about May to Oct they are on my car.

I definitely love my ET Street Radial IIs...but they are too short profiles (35s). lol

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I definitely love my ET Street Radial IIs...but they are too short profiles (35s). lol

How many miles did you manage to get out of them ?
4:10 gears...yikes, a 3.73 or a 3.55 would have sufficed for street use.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
How many miles did you manage to get out of them ?
4:10 gears...yikes, a 3.73 or a 3.55 would have sufficed for street use.

Not sure, haven't been counting. I have used them for two summers with multiple drag racing events. I only get to use them for a short time in the dry summer months. They still have quite a bit of rubber left on them...but I want them gone as they are too short of a profile tire.

I've been calculating that if I go to the 305/45/18, the increase height of the tire will effectively raise my gear ratio to 3.73 roughly.

I am thinking I should have stayed with my 3.55. sigh

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure, haven't been counting. I have used them for two summers with multiple drag racing events. I only get to use them for a short time in the dry summer months. They still have quite a bit of rubber left on them...but I want them gone as they are too short of a profile tire.

I've been calculating that if I go to the 305/45/18, the increase height of the tire will effectively raise my gear ratio to 3.73 roughly.

I am thinking I should have stayed with my 3.55. sigh

I did the maths and you are correct. Good, then u can kill 2 birds with one stone lol. I was going to suggest a 305-40-18..but the 305-45-18 would be better in some regards. The measuring width for the 305-45-18 is listed as 10". For the 305-40-18, it's listed as 11". Go with the 305-45-18...then it's an ideal tire for your 10" wide rims.

It will result in increased rake though..which might xfer more weight to the front end. (u could simulate the increased rake with the correct thickness of some wood sheeting beneath each tire). Which hole in the BMR lca re-locate brackets are you using ? I started off in the top hole, then dropped to the middle hole a year later (and also reduced rear tire pressure down to 30 psi).

A week ago, at wot in 2nd gear on main road.... all fine till it hits 5 k rpm, then the shrieking started up...but at least it stays straight. Dunno why, but it's always at the top end of 2nd gear where it loses traction.... but only occasionally. This is with Nitto-555's in 285-40-18 on 10" rims. I have zero traction in 1st gear. I usually push it in 1st gear...so it's on the edge..then once into 2nd gear, then punch it wot.

Have u heard of anybody ever using the very bottom hole in the bmr re-locate brackets ?

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
My LCAs are currently in the middle hole. This gives me a parallel LCA to the ground.
Darn, I did not think about that. The taller tire will slightly throw off the parallel-ness of my LCAs. I really do not entertain the idea of adjusting my LCA accordingly. Those are a PITA to adjust.

I have never heard of anyone using the very bottom hole. Your gauge are the LCAs and making sure they are parallel to the ground. Deviating from that will affect handling/traction.

Remember, you won't get 100% traction no matter what you do. OK, maybe if you got some bias-ply tires then you would have 100% traction.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
My BMR lca's were lower at axle end..using the top holes. They are now even lower at axle end..using the middle holes.

The BMR re-locate brackets provide for a 2-3-4" drop. The lca's were parallel to the grnd... b4 I lowered the car. Once lowered 1.25", the lca's would have to be lowered 1.25" to remain parallel to grnd.... but u only have a choice of 2-3-4"..so I used thre top hole initially. 2 - 1.25 = .75" net drop at axle end..which is not much.

Fast forward a yr later. With the middle holes used, it's now 3 - 1.25 = 1.75" net drop. Handling was not affected in either top or middle holes. I measured the angle using a digital gauge... and filed that info...some where.

I get better traction with lca's lower at axle end vs parallel to grnd. With em parallel, i was getting wheel hop etc.

Your proposed 305-45-18 will increase your radius by 1.197"..... so u will have to go lower on the re-locate holes to compensate.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Just ordered the tires today!!

Mickey Thompson ET Street R in a 305/45/18. Boy I am hoping they fit without issues.
I will see where the LCA fall with them on.

I was also suggested to fully soften the front struts and stiffen the rear by 15% or so. I always thought you'd want the rear full soft for weight transfer. Hmm.

But as soon as I get the tires on, I will be conducting tests to improve my launching as I am registered to compete for the NW Street King in July (I can see myself getting beat on my very first run. lol).

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
How much power do you make? And how serious at drag racing are you? Usually the taller tire provides more traction, even if its the same width as a shorter tire (more sidewall and surface area). Also if you feel your 4.10s are too much, then the larger 28.8" tire will really help you out

Also what does your car trap in the 1/4 and at what RPM do you cross the traps at? All things that need to be taken into account. Hope that helps, sorry for all the questions lol. Oh and see you at Bremerton :)

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
How much power do you make? And how serious at drag racing are you? Usually the taller tire provides more traction, even if its the same width as a shorter tire (more sidewall and surface area). Also if you feel your 4.10s are too much, then the larger 28.8" tire will really help you out

Also what does your car trap in the 1/4 and at what RPM do you cross the traps at? All things that need to be taken into account. Hope that helps, sorry for all the questions lol. Oh and see you at Bremerton :)

Hey!! A local!!! Awesome!!

Currently my pump gas tune makes roughly 650HP/570TQ at 13 PSI.
I am not a serious drag racer. I love to race, whether its road racing (track days), drag race, drifting, rally, whatever race venue where I can use my power without going to jail. lol

I would like to be competitive, at least hang with the fast guys...but I really don't want a "drag" car per say as I really enjoy going to the (road course) track.

Since all the work on the car, I have never been to a real drag strip and gotten timed. I have only done street racing type events.

In stock trim, the best I squeaked out was a 11.95 with a slipping clutch.
That was with 440HP/450TQ. I plan on going to PIR on the 8th to practice/learn how to launch... lol Maybe I'll find out there what the car truly does...roughly since my launching is horrendous. lol

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
just another option M&H makes a 325/40/18 28" tire... they do well for me.

DSCN2928_zps33d436ee.jpg

DSCN2919_zps57943ab6.jpg

DSCN2912_zpsc376994d.jpg

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Hey!! A local!!! Awesome!!

Currently my pump gas tune makes roughly 650HP/570TQ at 13 PSI.
I am not a serious drag racer. I love to race, whether its road racing (track days), drag race, drifting, rally, whatever race venue where I can use my power without going to jail. lol

I would like to be competitive, at least hang with the fast guys...but I really don't want a "drag" car per say as I really enjoy going to the (road course) track.

Since all the work on the car, I have never been to a real drag strip and gotten timed. I have only done street racing type events.

In stock trim, the best I squeaked out was a 11.95 with a slipping clutch.
That was with 440HP/450TQ. I plan on going to PIR on the 8th to practice/learn how to launch... lol Maybe I'll find out there what the car truly does...roughly since my launching is horrendous. lol

That's good power, should be a great race for a few of us. I've gone 11.4 at 132 at PIR a month or so ago, but that was the last time I've been there racing the car. We have a few cars that are all right around the same power level that we're bringing to Bremerton (RPM Northwest, the people signing up all the awesome cars lol) and you're always welcome to stop by the tent and say hi!

Bremerton is truly like the street so be prepared for traction woes off the line. Also let me know when you're heading down to PIR, we're just off exit 14 on I-5 so we may swing down and watch.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score

DSCN2928_zps33d436ee.jpg

DSCN2919_zps57943ab6.jpg

DSCN2912_zpsc376994d.jpg

Any clearance issues with those?

Sorry it's two posts, yours showed up right after I replied to the first one

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score

Dang...how wide is your rim to hold that tire? 12 inches? Got any pics from behind so we can see what a 325 looks like? Gotta be amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dang...how wide is your rim to hold that tire? 12 inches? Got any pics from behind so we can see what a 325 looks like? Gotta be amazing.

10" rim :)

I don't have any good shots like you are asking for. I'll see if I can get one this weekend

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
10" rim :)

I don't have any good shots like you are asking for. I'll see if I can get one this weekend

WHAT!!?? 10" rim with 325!!??

The 305/45/18 comes out to 28.8 overall diameter.
The 325/40/18 comes out to 28.2 overall diameter.
A 0.6" difference... Hmmm... But the 325 offers an extra 0.8" of width which I am sure is welcomed!!

Damn, I wish I would have looked at that option when looking for tires.
Amazing it fits a 10" wheel!!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back