Mickey Thompson ET Street R, Feedback?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it's not optimal fitment, however, it works.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
It fits because M&H run narrow. If you look at their website you aren't supposed to run that tire on a 10" rim. Not even close. Real world says otherwise.

Similarly their 275/45/18 also runs narrow. I have it on a 9.5" rim and it doesn't provide much protection against rash at all. Clearly runs narrow. And yet they want that tire on a 10" rim. :gathering:

I was going to go with the M&H 325/40 like you did but a 9.5" rim might be pushing it.

So these showed up last week. :beer:
pwLzNka.jpg

I still have some tread left on the current drag radials so they will sit for a while.

Never stopped to think that the taller tire would throw off the LCA angle. Guess if I still have major traction issues on the street I will have to get brackets. Was hoping to avoid them since the axle isn't welded or braced and brackets make a twisted tube more likely.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
It fits because M&H run narrow. If you look at their website you aren't supposed to run that tire on a 10" rim. Not even close. Real world says otherwise.

Similarly their 275/45/18 also runs narrow. I have it on a 9.5" rim and it doesn't provide much protection against rash at all. Clearly runs narrow. And yet they want that tire on a 10" rim. :gathering:

I was going to go with the M&H 325/40 like you did but a 9.5" rim might be pushing it.

So these showed up last week. :beer:
pwLzNka.jpg

I still have some tread left on the current drag radials so they will sit for a while.

Never stopped to think that the taller tire would throw off the LCA angle. Guess if I still have major traction issues on the street I will have to get brackets. Was hoping to avoid them since the axle isn't welded or braced and brackets make a twisted tube more likely.

Those 305-45-18's in your pix are fookin huge ! How wide are they...side wall to sidewall, with a tape measure ? (un mounted, and un-inflated).

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The lower attachment point creates more torque leverage against the axle tubes. The lower the point the more leverage.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
So I got my tires mounted today!! Holy crap are these tires HUGE!!!

Why does my suspension seem lower than yours Retfr8flyr?? Check out how much little clearance I have:

20150702_192407_zpsuiqxmdmf.jpg

20150702_192312_zpsqlgdc7kb.jpg

20150702_192008_zpszh27j3f5.jpg

I don't have a finger worth of clearance/gap between the edge of the fender and top of the tire; the top of the tire is actually in the fender (1/4 panel).

20150702_191934_zpsuyvtvs2m.jpg

I am worried about the clearance. I do not know how much the rear suspension squats during launch.

Here they are next to my 275/40/18 daily street tires:

20150702_192607_zpswcugawaq.jpg

20150702_192620_zpsh6zazmoy.jpg

20150702_191923_zpsathixlbx.jpg

20150702_154442_zpsesm85wve.jpg

20150702_154510_zpspuqqkxfo.jpg

20150702_154532_zpsdspkmvgw.jpg

20150702_154554_zpsksnnttyg.jpg

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Not a lot of clearance. As long as it doesn't rub on the edge of the wheel well...u should be ok. But u only have 1/4" of wiggle room.

Tread wear rating of zero.... how long are they gonna last ?

Ok, are they R rated for speed ? That's only 106 mph per tire rack.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-driving-fun/understanding-speed-rating

Nitto drag radials are V rated... max speed of 149 mph.

I wonder how it will handle on a road course or autoX or the street....with those huge sidewalls ?

The story I got with drag racing is you don't want it to squat, you want it to pivot. I think the idea is not to transfer the weight into compressing the rear springs. Looking at the "tread".... you may want to be cautious in the wet /rain.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Wow, that's a tall tire...car looks freaken amazing though, damn. Can't wait to see it in person next weekend. Those tires look badass though. Kinda makes me I wish I would've ordered them instead of the Hoosier's, oh well.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Not a lot of clearance. As long as it doesn't rub on the edge of the wheel well...u should be ok. But u only have 1/4" of wiggle room.

I wonder how it will handle on a road course or autoX or the street....with those huge sidewalls ?

The story I got with drag racing is you don't want it to squat, you want it to pivot. I think the idea is not to transfer the weight into compressing the rear springs. Looking at the "tread".... you may want to be cautious in the wet /rain.

I swear sometimes I read your posts and wonder if your joking or just retarded
ET streets have no speed rating Mickey Thompson recommends 85mph but its a drag tire.... people doing 140+ passes its a different scenario then a long wear consumer tire meant to do hours on the highway
As for basically all the other comments its a drag tire it has a 000 wear rating, no sidewall, its meant to do one thing good.. hook

Speedboosted - I think your cars a stick? If so the hoosiers are actually better as they have a softer sidewall and wrinkle like a bias ply tire its easier on the driveline and more consistent on differently prepared tracks

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Here's a thought. Measure the distance from the center hub to the top of the wheel well. That distance will never change, regardless of tire diameter.

Then compare the hub to top of wheel well dimension you measure.....with somebody else who has the same springs. Then compare it with a bone stock ride height2008 car.

IMO, no way that can be a 1.25" drop in rear..it has to be more than that.

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Speedboosted - I think your cars a stick? If so the hoosiers are actually better as they have a softer sidewall and wrinkle like a bias ply tire its easier on the driveline and more consistent on differently prepared tracks

It is a stick car, yes. It's the DOT drag radial in 325/50/15. Not the QTP, so does it still have that softer sidewall? If so, then hell ya lol. This car is a bitch to launch right now

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I swear sometimes I read your posts and wonder if your joking or just retarded
ET streets have no speed rating Mickey Thompson recommends 85mph but its a drag tire.... people doing 140+ passes its a different scenario then a long wear consumer tire meant to do hours on the highway
As for basically all the other comments its a drag tire it has a 000 wear rating, no sidewall, its meant to do one thing good.. hook

He uses it 99.99% on the street as a DD....with some use in autoX + the strip. He's near Seattle, and they get a lot of rain at times. With his power level + 4:10 gears, he doesn't have much choice for traction as a DD. For DD /street use, something like Nitto invo's etc, in a 315 on 11.5" rims might have been a better option.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
He uses it 99.99% on the street as a DD....with some use in autoX + the strip. He's near Seattle, and they get a lot of rain at times. With his power level + 4:10 gears, he doesn't have much choice for traction as a DD. For DD /street use, something like Nitto invo's etc, in a 315 on 11.5" rims might have been a better option.

Nitto Invo's? No

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I got my tires mounted today!! Holy crap are these tires HUGE!!!

Why does my suspension seem lower than yours Retfr8flyr?? Check out how much little clearance I have:

20150702_192407_zpsuiqxmdmf.jpg

20150702_192312_zpsqlgdc7kb.jpg

20150702_192008_zpszh27j3f5.jpg

I don't have a finger worth of clearance/gap between the edge of the fender and top of the tire; the top of the tire is actually in the fender (1/4 panel).

20150702_191934_zpsuyvtvs2m.jpg

I am worried about the clearance. I do not know how much the rear suspension squats during launch.

Here they are next to my 275/40/18 daily street tires:

20150702_192607_zpswcugawaq.jpg

20150702_192620_zpsh6zazmoy.jpg

20150702_191923_zpsathixlbx.jpg

20150702_154442_zpsesm85wve.jpg

20150702_154510_zpspuqqkxfo.jpg

20150702_154532_zpsdspkmvgw.jpg

20150702_154554_zpsksnnttyg.jpg

There isn't really that much difference between our cars. Here is another shot from a different angle.

I imagine it's just due to variation in the Steeda springs. What is the backspacing on your wheels. Mine are 7 1/4 inch, if yours are a little less then that could be why they look like less clearance. I don't have any rubbing problems from mine, even with the small clearance gap.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not sure, haven't been counting. I have used them for two summers with multiple drag racing events. I only get to use them for a short time in the dry summer months. They still have quite a bit of rubber left on them...but I want them gone as they are too short of a profile tire.

Sigh..... :thud:

DRs are never speed rated and almost always have 000 treadwear, as mentioned, traction is their goal, not treadwear.

Also your nittos, not speed rated, per their site, look at the sizing, there are no letters I the size for speed rating.

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I will not be using these on the street like I dogs the others. Well to drive back and forth to the drag strip only. They cost me $800...don't want to waste them going to work and running errands. Lol

Jimbo, for the road course and autocross I use Nitto NT01s. I don't think tech inspection would let you on the track (road course) with drag tires.

I'm thinking to apply some blue tape around the fender (1/4 panel) wheel well edges and do some launches to see if I come in contact with the body.

Also regarding your comment about squatting, BMR suggested I stiffen up my rear shocks to 15% and full soften the fronts. That correlates with your comment.

Last edited:

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I squatted enough to rub my DSS DS in January at the track. Set my rear shocks to 8 out of 10 tight and added bmr Relos. No more rubbing. I am lowered one inch on FR P springs.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Wow!!! Just took them out for a quick test.

Holy smokes, I need more power!!
I can no longer launch in 2nd gear...it bogs down.
I can no longer roast them shifting into 2nd.
I no longer can roast them in 3rd gear at 60mph.

I can only launch in 1st!!! They do spin in 1st gear,but they also have full tire pressure (30 psi).

I am speechless on how much new found traction I have. With the combination of traction and taller drove ratio, the car feels slow...

Lito, need more power!!!

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I told you they are great on the street. If you find a nice section of concrete, you can even launch in first without spinning. Now you know why I run these tires as my DD for the warm months. It's so nice to be able to get on it, without going up in smoke and if you need to punch it for some reason, like getting out of the way of some idiot, you can do it without swapping ends.

I have about 5000 miles on my current set and they look almost new. I don't see why I can't get 8000-10,000 miles from them. For me that works out to an acceptable cost to have good traction.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back