Mid-mount muffler setups-how's the drone?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any way you could fit an oval case muffler under there with the factory fuel tank in place. As 07gts197 said, even regular round case mufflers just barely fit.

IMAG0130.jpg

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well that's what I am thinking. With them being small and borla saying they were using them mid-mounted. Side exhaust has been a bitch for good sounding setups. @ghunt81 what are you running there? I looked at some race bullets but 200.00 to find out how drone, no thanks.
35d89ee3b687a4fdd74b3d04133b440d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Borla stingers (the resonator type) work mid mounted and sound pretty good. Theyre known to have minimal drone on the sn95s anyway. Not apples to apples but close.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Borla stingers (the resonator type) work mid mounted and sound pretty good. Theyre known to have minimal drone on the sn95s anyway. Not apples to apples but close.
I may try those, looked at them early on. Part of the reason I called called borla. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
No problem. They arent cheap and are kind of big. M80s are perfect and were made specifically to mid mount on our cars but imo they arent the best sounding. I used to really like them but then I started listening to other glass packs mid mounted and honestly I think generic 18” glass packs sound the best.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
@ghunt81 what are you running there? I looked at some race bullets but 200.00 to find out how drone, no thanks.

Those are magnaflow 10416's if I recall correctly. Found them on a website super cheap about 4-5 years ago (like $38 each). Pretty much those are the ones that Pypes copied when they made the M80's.

I originally put them on when I installed my headers, but after I did cams I found out they killed the idle sound too much so I took them off. They actually do a pretty good job of quieting everything down with a regular axle back, last spring I put them back on with MBRP's "stinger" style axle back and my wife even asked why the car was so quiet. Over this winter I'm thinking about putting them back on with some kind of muffler delete (or approximation thereof) AB and seeing how it sounds.

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town all last week.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I paid $44.00 each for my Pypes M80's a few years ago, from AM. They are still shiny. We cut the slotted flanges off both ends in the bandsaw.... then welded em into place..just before the rear axle.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I just looked at this today and only scanned through the posts, but here is my experience- I have changed my exhaust so much on my S197 that I had to retap my stripped out hanger threads... I had the Roush Extreme mid mounts. They were very loud and the drone was more than I wanted. I replaced my x pipe with a custom made two in two out chambered exhaust with different axle backs (straight pipe, MBRP cans, etc)- straight pipes were loud raspy and loud drone, everything else was too quiet with different tones. The BEST sound I found for my S197 was mid mounted 24" Thrush glasspacks after an offroad H pipe. Almost zero drone, and not raspy at all. Great tone and not too loud. Here is a link to a vid of my car with offroad x and mid mounted 18" Flowtechs. The other specs of my build are posted with the video:

I forgot to ask a question when originally responding to your post back on 12/6/07. Anyhow when you had mentioned you were experiencing more drone than what you wanted from the Roush Extreme mid-muffler cat-back exhaust, were you running the Roush extreme exhaust with an offroad mid-pipe or with the "OEM" cats still in place? From my understanding, Roush Performance has stated their cat-back/mid-muffler exhaust will not produce the typical offroad inside drone that other aftermarket exhaust systems are known for, providing that it's installed with the factory exhaust/mid-pipe still in place. Therefore, chances are if you were running an off-road H or X mid-pipe, I'm suspecting that perhaps this was the reason you were experiencing the amount of drone you were getting from the Roush Extreme mid-muffler exhaust :shrug:I can also understand the reason behind them being very loud, especially when it comes to running a muffler delete exhaust with an offroad mid-pipe lol. At any rate, I'm seriously considering the Roush Extreme cat-back for my next exhaust, but after revisiting your post, I'm most definitely concerned about the drone issues that you brought up!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back