Mild-Bolts on GT - [email protected]

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually the higher, numerically, gears eat up a little bit of power through friction. There is more contact area for the pinion on every revolution of the ring gear. More contact more friction. It's small.

Welll that makes sense. I can see how it will affect dyno numbes. But why is he so quick in the quarter mile?

That's a million dollar question. Or maybe a $100 dollar question. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
driver mod is a big part of it. and DA plays a huge factor too. best time i ran with CAI, delete plates, pullies, 4.10's, off road h, tune was 12.9@107 and that was with a race weight of 3600-3650 or so and a DA of 900-1200 ft. not impossible but he has a strong car with a good driver and great DA.

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Actually the higher, numerically, gears eat up a little bit of power through friction. There is more contact area for the pinion on every revolution of the ring gear. More contact more friction. It's small.

That's a million dollar question. Or maybe a $100 dollar question. LOL
That is not all. Lower gears have more leverage if you will, to move the car quicker from a stand still through say 110-120mph. Back in the old days small blocks, to even the match in the qtr would run more gears while the big blocks would rely on that big torque and go with higher gears. I don't know how many times as a kid or young man my small block would get out in front and just win a race or lose it at the line and that big block would just keep pulling leaving me in his dust.

Anyone 40 or younger maybe neaver got the experience to see one of the old big blocks and what they were capable of. Now, once you went with a chevy 383 stroker or a 390 ford things squared up.:highfive:

Most big blocks would not go past 4:10 gear to 3:90's. Some small blocks would go all the way up to 5:13 gears. Now thats a tall gear. I'd seen chevy 283 cu cars pull the wheels back then.

Boy how times have changed.

Last edited:

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
So what can a full bolt on 4.6 do in the quarter mile?

I am waiting on some rims for the Mickeys and a trip to a test and tune last fri of april weather permitting....I'll let you know what this one will do, Not full bolt ons yet...if I don't break something...

plated

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
my o5 with 410's longtubes and 93 tune and 16 et streets just went a 12.51@109 last sunday,i'm more than tickled,it only made 289 to the wheels,i can't wait to throw some parts at it,and chip aay at my 60's although it managed a 1.6.6 60ft on all stock suspension minus pulled sway bar,i wana see a 12,20's

BlueByYou

Tuscarora Native American
Reaction score
Great driving,3450lbs with me on board and a great tune from JPC Racing is what i think makes my car run so well. Justin really nailed my tune! I haven't had time to post my videos from YouTube yet but if you guys type in -BlueByYou07- in the seach box on YouTube,you'll see quite a few videos of me running 12's at Rockingham Dragway. There's even one of me spanking a new 550+hp Caddy CTS-V!!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is not all. Lower gears have more leverage if you will, to move the car quicker from a stand still through say 110-120mph. Back in the old days small blocks, to even the match in the qtr would run more gears while the big blocks would rely on that big torque and go with higher gears. I don't know how many times as a kid or young man my small block would get out in front and just win a race or lose it at the line and that big block would just keep pulling leaving me in his dust.

Anyone 40 or younger maybe neaver got the experience to see one of the old big blocks and what they were capable of. Now, once you went with a chevy 383 stroker or a 390 ford things squared up.:highfive:

Most big blocks would not go past 4:10 gear to 3:90's. Some small blocks would go all the way up to 5:13 gears. Now thats a tall gear. I'd seen chevy 283 cu cars pull the wheels back then.

Boy how times have changed.

Today's younger speed junkies just don't understand or haven't experienced what old time torque is. This why younger guys are so wowed by Kenne Bell's and stuff when they experience them. They deliver that old time torque. Which is what made a muscle car....a muscle car.

High revving new engines are great, but torque makes you move.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Man, that car is damn quick. I wish I lived closer to a track. I'd buy from DR's and drop my time a few tenths right off bat.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back