Votes: 31 49.2%
  • Shelby GT500

Votes: 32 50.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peaky85

forum member
Reaction score
I was considering making a purchase of one of these 2 Sweet rides. So the question that I pose, is which one do you think will have the most collect-ability in the future years ? I realize that being 49 yrs. old that I may not live to see the full return, but I thought it would make a nice hand me down to my daughter in the future. Much nicer than anything I ever received. Your thought on this would be appreciated ...

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Boss as I think they are limited, the Shelby has no production limit. Frankly I doubt either will be collectible much.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
What Dave said, but than again, the Shelby could hold some sentimental value to people once the old man rolls over.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Based on history I'd think the Boss. Plus you probably won't want to modify the Boss which will probably save $50k or so, lol.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I say the GT500 as I have not heard any mention of a motor larger than the 5.0 for future cars... (see the Cobra Jets). If that is true you would hold a Mustang with the highest factory displacement and probably the highest factory horsepower. The Bosses being limited runs will certainly help but history shows me that little car, huge motor, high horsepower, nets the best long term value... Boss 429, Hemi Cuda, 427 Vette, etc.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
The boss unless the 5.8L is only a 2 year option and the 2015 Cobras will have a S/C 5.0

Edit: .... NVM Wicked GT beat me to it

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
given how many people are buying them and hardly driving them i wouldnt base your purchase from an "investment" standpoint....

Based on history I'd think the Boss. Plus you probably won't want to modify the Boss which will probably save $50k or so, lol.

^this, my back and forth about selling my car and looking at a boss or gt500 i always figure i could never talk myself into modifying the boss

Last edited by a moderator:

Punishermustang

forum member
Reaction score
Don't buy it to be collectible. Just buy the one you want the most. Doesn't seem either will hold it's value all to well.

Peaky85

forum member
Reaction score
I wasn't looking at it as a retirement plan, just curious as to which would hold/increase value over a 25 yr time frame. My heart tells me 650 HP and 600 Ft Lbs of torque would be pretty freakin sweet, however I do believe there is a bit more rarity in the Boss.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I wasn't looking at it as a retirement plan, just curious as to which would hold/increase value over a 25 yr time frame. My heart tells me 650 HP and 600 Ft Lbs of torque would be pretty freakin sweet, however I do believe there is a bit more rarity in the Boss.

That's funny. When I bought my Mustang I told my wife to think of it as spreading our investment risk out. I thought I'd keep it for 30 years and not do any modifications, then sell it when I was in my 70's as an all original Mustang. At the time run of the mill older musclecars that had been kept up were bringing 10x their original sticker. Something like a Boss was bringing about 25x original sticker.

Here I am almost 4 years later with a highly modified car that's not even worth blue book because of the mods.

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
the boss unless you send the shelby in for a super snake upgrade. when the old man dies i'd say the cars that actually went to his shop will be worth more in the long run

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
I would say the Boss

more limited run. My dad when he bought his 07GT500 he thought they were going to be a limited run as well, then when they kept churning them out, he was kind of disappointed. in 40 years I say the Boss will be more collectible because even if they extend them to the 2014 model, thats only 3 years of being built versus 7 years for the shelby. Also the Boss has specific colors available to it such as Competition Orange in 2012 and School bus yellow in 2013

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly, neither will be worth an investment... Those days are over. Just buy and enjoy the car.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly, neither will be worth an investment... Those days are over. Just buy and enjoy the car.

This is also true, back in the day when you could special order cars with special paint that was only available on other models or have 1 of 15 cars ordered with X option are gone. Thats what also helped boost car collectibilty

TRC51

forum member
Reaction score

Totally agree. Some of the kids today don't even care about having their drivers license. There was an article somewhere describing how the kids of today only see cars as transportation. Granted you will have some gear heads still out there in 25 years, but they will probably all still be out looking for Hondas. LOL

That said, EDIT: from a "value" stand point... I gotta say GT500 based soley on the HP. Why? Because those people who will looking to spend money on a car like that in 25 years are going to want to buy the "Big Dog". Which would you rather have... the 1968 GT500.... or the 1968 GT500KR?

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
+5000, getting a car as an investment means it's going to live in a garage and barely be driven. To me that is a crime against mustangs and america!
you some kind of terrorist? :chairfall:

1bad65

forum member
Reaction score
That's funny. When I bought my Mustang I told my wife to think of it as spreading our investment risk out. I thought I'd keep it for 30 years and not do any modifications, then sell it when I was in my 70's as an all original Mustang. At the time run of the mill older musclecars that had been kept up were bringing 10x their original sticker. Something like a Boss was bringing about 25x original sticker.

Here I am almost 4 years later with a highly modified car that's not even worth blue book because of the mods.

LMFAO!! That sounds familiar.

As to the OP's question, I think neither will be worth much as a collectable. Just buy the one you want and enjoy the hell out of it.

b00stedgt

Reaction score
I would guess the gt500 just because of the factory production hp numbers

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back