MPG What?

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
True story. Granted, the 6 speed helps. However, my cobra that had 3.55 gears and the 6 speed got maybe 21-22 on the highway at 60 mph on cruise control.

I can definitely see 23-24 out of a 5.0 but not close to 30 mpg.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^ Not talking out of my ass.

I am one that drives over 30K miles a year between all of my cars, and have owned a boat load of cars, all of which are daily driven commuting cars.

You are the one that is saying your 5.0 GT averages close to 30 MPG.

Your V8 is close to Prius territory. Yet a crapload of other people are talking about crappy gas mileage, including one of my friends that drives his 5.0 like a princess. Your car must be special just like you bud.

Oh, the EPA sticker on 05+ GT's says close to that on the highway, yet real life examples show a lot less than that. LOL @ the Sticker example.

Obviously you know the mileage my car gets, seeing as how you've never driven it or anything.

So, what, am I too stupid to calculate MPG? Am I simply lying about getting 28 mpg on the highway just to piss you off?

I don't give a crap how many miles you drive in a year or what your friends' mileage is. That's the mileage I get, and I have a few friends with 5.0s that get similar mileage.

Here's an idea. Since you don't daily drive the new 5.0 (like I do), maybe you should just shut up, especially since several other people on this thread have verified getting good gas mileage with their new 5.0s

Last edited:

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
^ Ok tough guy. Real mature to get all serious and act like a tough guy.

You are one of the few that is making a near 30mpg claim
In your 5.0.

Take your fan-boy self somewhere else.

Trust me, a douchebag like you doesn't get a rise out of me. I was enjoying having a discussion about mpg until you started to act like a really big tough guy and started to tell me to fuck off, and start with the lame
Insults.

Ps - your 5.0 is a sexy bitch btw.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ps - your 5.0 is a sexy bitch btw.

Thanks.

Sorry for the explosion. I'm in a bad mood today. :mad2:

You know, I've got 3.15 gears on mine, which might explain why I get such good mileage.

But I really do get 28 mpg on the interstate. Want me to take a picture of the cluster next time?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I've got 3.15 gears on mine, which might explain why I get such good mileage.

But I really do get 28 mpg on the interstate. Want me to take a picture of the cluster next time?

I personally don't doubt that you do, especially with the 3.15's.

Bryan

forum member
Reaction score
I dunno about you guys, but my 2011 5.0 GT gets 28 mpg or more on the highway.
Seriously, if i drive 55-60 like most traffic here, the car gets 28 or more on the highway.

Then when im flooring it on the highway, or the side streets, that reflects towards my hand calculated city and highway driving of 24 mpg.

I do as much city as i do highway, so after 350 miles, i go fill up and have a fuel log with miles and gallons, dates ect.

If i could just not drive it like a dumb teenager, i bet i could get a little more out of it.

I cant wait to take a long trip in the car, but it gets close to 29MPG plus on the open freeway here. Mine has 3.15 gears and 19" factory wheels that are 27.78 inches tall. Maybe once its fully broken in, it could get more.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I averaged 28 mpg driving to and from Atlantic City, NJ from my home in central MD. I drove between 70-75 mph the entire way there, up and down the mountains.

How's that for a real-world example?

I live at about 1400', I work at near 1100', and a typical drive might have a 600' difference in elevation.

Nothing is flat in Northeastern Pa.

I've been getting 12MPG around town with the converter.

On the highway, to and from Cecil County for example, I can average 25. That's driving 75MPH.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
With 3.15 gears, I can imagine higher MPG. That is more reasonable.

Most of the 5.0's I see have the Brembo Package with 3.73 Gears.

Sky - Sorry you are in a bad mood bro. All good man. Cheer up yo! :D

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
3.31 gear, i have gotten 28 also.
750 miles during deer season =27.1 mpg. 70ish on highway.
Funny, slowed down to 65, and the computer showed 1 lower mpg,
I reset it before this test....
Big tires will really hurt your mpg, mine are the stockers.
Also, you get measurably better mpg when tires are almost bald, lol

Dr Wu

Faraway
Reaction score
My point exactly. Anyone can do that on a flat 25 mile stretch resetting the fuel/mile thingy.

That is what I did...damn impresive...

Do that for a whole tank, or a whole trip (1000 miles), and then I'll be impressed.

Not applicable to me...Dr Magic?

^^ This

AND go above 55 mph where the real world drives Dr Wu.

55 to 60 mph is the most my car sees...I am not part of this "real world" Ken04...

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With 3.15 gears, I can imagine higher MPG. That is more reasonable.

Most of the 5.0's I see have the Brembo Package with 3.73 Gears.

Sky - Sorry you are in a bad mood bro. All good man. Cheer up yo! :D

You know, I'm thinking of switching to 3.55s because it would make autocross a little more fun, but I'm wondering what it would do to my fuel economy. Anyone have any idea?

Kuplex

Software Developer
Reaction score
I'm averaging between 26 and 27 mpg (calculated) with mostly highway, light acceleration, and going the speed limit. I'm about to go on a 350 mile trip at the end of the month so I'm interested in seeing what it'll do. Normal driving...like 20-21 lol.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
You know, I'm thinking of switching to 3.55s because it would make autocross a little more fun, but I'm wondering what it would do to my fuel economy. Anyone have any idea?

I may change slightly. However, your RPM's should still be low enough to get decent MPG.

3.55 is not going to be a big jump. I would go to at least a 3.73. You should still see 21-23 MPG if you drive normally.

Ivan 5.0

Still learning...
Reaction score
I've owned 3 4V cars big guy.

2001 Lincoln LS
03 Cobra
04 Mach 1.

All of which barely got over 20 MPG on the highway @ 60 MPH speeds

Right, but isn't that some of the appeal of the new Coyote - the TiVCT helps a lot with fuel economy at lower RPM's? Don't think any of those three 4Vs had similar technology - please correct me if I'm wrong?

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Right, but isn't that some of the appeal of the new Coyote - the TiVCT helps a lot with fuel economy at lower RPM's? Don't think any of those three 4Vs had similar technology - please correct me if I'm wrong?

It's not just about Technology.

Why do the 5.4 4V get horrible gas mileage weighing similar to the 5.0, having the same technology, and having the 6 speed with 3.55-3.73 gears? That being said, how does a C6 Z with a huge Motor making a lot more power get better gas mileage than the new 5.0? Less moving parts? Possibly. Weight? That isn't out of the question, and makes sense.

It's been proven time and time again more moving parts = less gas efficiency. Granted, Sky has 3.15 gears, which is probably why he is getting better than normal gas mileage. However, have you ever heard of a 5.0 with a Brembo package with 3.73's getting close to 30 MPG @ 65+ MPH? I personally haven't.

wazslow

forum member
Reaction score
It's not just about Technology.

Why do the 5.4 4V get horrible gas mileage weighing similar to the 5.0, having the same technology, and having the 6 speed with 3.55-3.73 gears? That being said, how does a C6 Z with a huge Motor making a lot more power get better gas mileage than the new 5.0? Less moving parts? Possibly. Weight? That isn't out of the question, and makes sense.

It's been proven time and time again more moving parts = less gas efficiency. Granted, Sky has 3.15 gears, which is probably why he is getting better than normal gas mileage. However, have you ever heard of a 5.0 with a Brembo package with 3.73's getting close to 30 MPG @ 65+ MPH? I personally haven't.

THe 5.4 4 valve doesnt have the same technology.

A z06 is 3100 lbs and has a very deep overdrive which helps it a ton (not to mention is more aerodynamic than a mustang).

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
^^ very similar technology is what I meant.

The GT500 has the same TR6060 as the C6Z and barely gets 20 MPG on the highway where the vette gets over 30. Weight is a factor.

So, what you are telling me is a heavy 5.0 is getting close to a hybrids gas mileage? Fair enough then.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Not applicable to me...Dr Magic?

55 to 60 mph is the most my car sees...I am not part of this "real world" Ken04...

Eh? Not sure what you're trying to say here, but you go average 30 mpg for a whole tank then come back and defend your claim.

wazslow

forum member
Reaction score
^^ very similar technology is what I meant.

The GT500 has the same TR6060 as the C6Z and barely gets 20 MPG on the highway where the vette gets over 30. Weight is a factor.

So, what you are telling me is a heavy 5.0 is getting close to a hybrids gas mileage? Fair enough then.

The cam timing is not the same at all.

The rear gear ratio's as well as the transmission ratio's are different in those cars. TR6060's are not all the same.

You think 28 mpg is close to a hybrid getting 40 mpg then ok....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back