MSD 2 step caused check engine light

k_aimone

forum member
Reaction score
So I have an 07 full bolt on GT, and when I put the car on the two step I get a CEL for cylinder mis fire.

1. My tuner has never seen this before and offered to adjust my tune by turning all misfires CEL's off

2. The car acts like a raped ape until I get the light then it seems like it pulls power to compensate for a possible problem.

3. Long story short it ran a 12.4 with a shitty 60' so I'm kind of happy.

4. Have any of you 3v guys ever experienced this.

Ciao
Ken

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
It's not just 3v. See it on 500's and coyotes. Depends how long you're on it. Hit the box is indeed causing a misfire. The harder I built boost on my car the aoon it would show. Sometimes too long and it goes into limp mode

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Never had an issue on my 5.0 and neither has kdanner. I have driven both cars at the track. Process for usage:

1. Stage the car.
2. Activate the 2 step.
3. Throttle to the floor.
4. Deactivate and go.

Not sitting on it longer than 5 seconds. I think your tuner can make the needed adjustments if you are on it longer than that.

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
Last time I raced I threw a random misfire code. I also have an MSD 2 step, but I can't confirm yet if the 2 step caused the code. Mine didn't pull any timing when the CEL came on and infact ran it's best time. I've been using the 2 step for years without any issues. I'll be swapping plugs soon and pulling the valve covers just to check things out.

Did your tune adjustments help?

k_aimone

forum member
Reaction score
I have changed the tune yet. I will get it done after thanksgiving.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back