MSD Launch Master (Combined Threads)

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
^^^ you would not. I have not installed a line lock yet... Not even sure where to start to find one that will work well with the 5r55s

Your trans has nothing to do with a line-lock! What are you trying to do? I'm i missing something

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^ you would not. I have not installed a line lock yet... Not even sure where to start to find one that will work well with the 5r55s

what?

I have an auto... It does not work the same as the manual tranny and clutch

the only difference is if you use the ground activated method or the hot wire activated method

Your trans has nothing to do with a line-lock! What are you trying to do? I'm i missing something

this.....

line lock has nothing to do with the tranny. i think he's thinking trans brake or something.

just install a line lock and your pain goes away...

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Yes that is all correct^^^^

When I mentioned "it does not work the same" that was misleading.. Bad choice of words as the 2 step does not care what tranny you are running. I was trying to state the burnout and toggle option that I setup to do what I wanted it to.

What the other guy and I were doing with our auto trans (no linelock) is coming up with a way to do a burnout without the 2 step limiting (activating). Without a line lock.... I do a burnout with the brake mashed to the floor to heat up my DR's. If the 2-step was "on" that in not possible... without line lock...

I agree 100% about the benefit of a line lock. A toggle switch would not be necessary with the linelock if I follow it correctly. I am checking into that setup probably next weekend. I have never installed one on a s-197 so not sure exactly what is working for people using similar setup but this was a 2step thread not a linelock so I did not mention that earlier..

If I was using a clutch I would not use a toggle with the 2step.

We are all saying the same thing I think.. except at 3am my mind is not as crisp as I like lol.

Last edited:

86merc

forum member
Reaction score
Is anyone using the MSD two step with the catalytic converters still on the car? Any bad effects with the set up?

gil_t2

Reaction score
Yes that is all correct^^^^

What the other guy and I were doing with our auto trans (no linelock) is coming up with a way to do a burnout without the 2 step limiting (activating). Without a line lock.... I do a burnout with the brake mashed to the floor to heat up my DR's. If the 2-step was "on" that in not possible... without line lock...

I agree 100% about the benefit of a line lock. A toggle switch would not be necessary with the linelock if I follow it correctly. I am checking into that setup probably next weekend. I have never installed one on a s-197 so not sure exactly what is working for people using similar setup but this was a 2step thread not a linelock so I did not mention that earlier..

If I was using a clutch I would not use a toggle with the 2step.

We are all saying the same thing I think.. except at 3am my mind is not as crisp as I like lol.

The two step will not activate when you do the burn-out. For the 2set to work you let the engine idle, when go WOT. To do the burn-out you rev the motor a little up and down, don't let it idle and do the burn-out. It is in your instructions.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
07. are you sure you're looking at the right switch? the lower one? if you have a volt ohm meter you might be able to tell which has a hard ground (0 ohms resistance or at least not much, compared to a higher ohm read on the other wire)

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
The two step will not activate when you do the burn-out. For the 2set to work you let the engine idle, when go WOT. To do the burn-out you rev the motor a little up and down, don't let it idle and do the burn-out. It is in your instructions.

I did not try it like that. Just was taking bits and pieces from what I got on here and damn.. I bought mine used and did not come with instructions.

:chainsaw:

Atleast I like wiring lol! So, theory is with my 2800 stall as long as I am not at wot below 1000 rpm then it will not activate correct? So the MSD is looking for a specific voltage range (at or near wot) and the reed switch to activate? I will try a burnout tomorrow without the toggle in closed loop. If I finally get it then I should be able to light them up (around 4-5k rpm) and not activate the 2step. Thanks btw for smacking not giving up on me lol. I just did not wrap my mind around that like I should have. :thanks1:

Last edited:

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
07. are you sure you're looking at the right switch? the lower one? if you have a volt ohm meter you might be able to tell which has a hard ground (0 ohms resistance or at least not much, compared to a higher ohm read on the other wire)

Definitely the right switch. Both wires red with green stripe. Will test them tomorrow.

gil_t2

Reaction score
Note: [FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]The engine rpm must drop more than one third of the set launch limit in order to activate. For example, if the launch limit is set at 3,000 rpm, the engine speed must drop below 2,000 rpm in order for the launch limit to become active (one third of 3,000 rpm is a 1,000 rpm drop).[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]This is from the MSD site[/FONT]

View attachment 35912
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
I got it all running. Works great. I decided to use the upper switch for three reasons. 1, I'm using a lighted toggle switch for activation and that just wouldn't work with a switched ground without a lot more work. 2, I like the idea of the clutch beginning to engage while the RPMs are held steady. Could mean the difference between hooking and spinning at my power level. 3, a switched ground ground (in my experience) is more prone to fall victim to the wire gremlins down the line.

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
Thanks man. I appreciate the advice you gave me, but the damn wiring harness is different colors on my car than yours at the lower clutch switch.

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
I had a switch panel made for my line locks and my 2-step. This wiring diagram is for the entire switch panel, but it should help anyone who is trying to install the 2-step with a rocker switch. Note: the red LED on the rocker switch only comes on when the switch is activated AND the clutch is depressed.

21owy1f.jpg

and here's a picture of the switch installed if it helps. The bottom left is an image of the switches turned on with both systems activated. The blue LEDs didn't show up well in the pic. They look much better in person.

igjgx1.jpg

Last edited:

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
Thanks. I measured the size I wanted and sent a description to a guy who makes custom gauge and switch plates online. His website is www.gaugeplates.com and the price was $65 to my door if I remember right. Not too much $$ for a custom piece in my opinion. Then I just cut a hole in the console cover and epoxied it into place from the inside. I drew up the wiring diagram when I was deciding how to wire it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back