muffler deletes and resonator deletes

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
WAs the testing done on a N/a car? if thats the case ill just delete the resonators, i just wanted the car to sound loud
What do you mean by single 3"

Yah N/A, it was literally bone stock except for exhaust mods. It had an offrod x pipe, which showed some little gains, and then when he went straight 3" from the x pipe back it lost power.

Hes running a single 3" now, as in the 2 banks merge in a collector and there is a single 3" straight pipe all the way back. Made more power than stock and shaved off a lot of weight.

I think a lo of people are running too much exhaust for their setups.
Unless youre boosted or spraying I think open 3" dual exhaust will kill velocity and hurt power.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
I had my resonators cut out when I put the corsa a/b on, didnt really do much.

An o/r xpipe on this car goes all the way up to remove the rear cats.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
Yah N/A, it was literally bone stock except for exhaust mods. It had an offrod x pipe, which showed some little gains, and then when he went straight 3" from the x pipe back it lost power.

Hes running a single 3" now, as in the 2 banks merge in a collector and there is a single 3" straight pipe all the way back. Made more power than stock and shaved off a lot of weight.

Unless youre boosted or spraying I think open 3" dual exhaust will kill velocity and hurt power.

like the old school fbodies.
All `98 WS6 and SS's had the single 3.5" pipe Standard unless the SS had the optional SLP Dual Dual exhaust.
In `99 they went to the Dual 2.5" pipes. The single outlet flows better but was to loud so that is why they changed it.
A stock F-body has a single exhaust from the factory. The exhaust from each side of the engine merge together with a y-pipe. The single exhaust pipe continues from the y-pipe, over the axle, to the muffler. The muffler has a single inlet but has two outlets. The two seperate outlets exiting under the rear bumpers give the illusion that the cars have dual exhaust. The factory muffler is very heavy so it is not uncommon to see someone replace it with a lighter muffler with a straight through design using a single tailpipe. This reduces weight, adds horsepower and usually sounds much better than stock.

FIREHAWKEXHAUST.jpg

Last edited:

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
like the old school fbodies.
All `98 WS6 and SS's had the single 3.5" pipe Standard unless the SS had the optional SLP Dual Dual exhaust.
In `99 they went to the Dual 2.5" pipes. The single outlet flows better but was to loud so that is why they changed it.
A stock F-body has a single exhaust from the factory. The exhaust from each side of the engine merge together with a y-pipe. The single exhaust pipe continues from the y-pipe, over the axle, to the muffler. The muffler has a single inlet but has two outlets. The two seperate outlets exiting under the rear bumpers give the illusion that the cars have dual exhaust. The factory muffler is very heavy so it is not uncommon to see someone replace it with a lighter muffler with a straight through design using a single tailpipe. This reduces weight, adds horsepower and usually sounds much better than stock.

FIREHAWKEXHAUST.jpg

Yep, but just wait, in a day there will be 20 posts telling us were stupid and that nothing could possibly be better than dual exhaust, because its all about "flow"...

351inside

forum member
Reaction score

Yep, but just wait, in a day there will be 20 posts telling us were stupid and that nothing could possibly be better than dual exhaust, because its all about "flow"...

I have no problem with that setup if my mustang didnt have dual openings in the rear bummper...

I wont be going with straight 3in piping, ill be having my stock hpipe, im only running this setup until i get my off road xpipe, once i do get my off road xpipe, ill be ordering some gt500 mufflers...

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
I totally understand that, Im just making a point about not wanting to go too open with the exhaust.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
Buschur did some testing with deleting the mufflers and resonators and actually lost power, especially down low. Last I saw he was running a single open 3" putting down good numbers.
Without supporting mods you dont want to open up the exhaust too much because it will kill velocity.

What happened to him? He was posting on Modular and disappeared after his clutch problems.

His single exhaust interested me.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In the following I have Magnaflow 15594 muffler deletes

Holy shit...they're proud of their metal aren't they? $$$$

Like the rest of us, I'm looking for the right sound. Just went from Kooks catted with Stingers to Kooks O/R with Stingers and resonators.

Didn't put the resonators on for about two weeks and the car was not as loud as I thought it would be and liked the rough sound, although hated the trumpeting. Just installed the resonators (18") and now the car is quieter (but still loud) and a lot smoother sound, i.e., trumpeting is 100% gone.

Unfortunately I don't like it. It tamed it down too much. Think I'm going to try some muffler deletes if I can find some cheap. Pypes are the cheapest I've found for around $250. Any other options out there?

Last edited:

SPP

Reaction score
They're expensive. Maybe $50.00 in materials plus the machine time to bend it, weld it, and then box it, and ship it??

Just picked mine up today. Stock was way too quiet for me.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

Like the rest of us, I'm looking for the right sound. Just went from Kooks catted with Stingers to Kooks O/R with Stingers and resonators.

Didn't put the resonators on for about two weeks and the car was not as loud as I thought it would be and liked the rough sound, although hated the trumpeting. Just installed the resonators (18") and now the car is quieter (but still loud) and a lot smoother sound, i.e., trumpeting is 100% gone.

Unfortunately I don't like it. It tamed it down too much. Think I'm going to try some muffler deletes if I can find some cheap. Pypes are the cheapest I've found for around $250. Any other options out there?

Their pricing is over the top for sure. Not much better for the Roush equiv.

I had the Pypes Bomb axle backs on my GT500 and loved the way they sound. Just enough to hear and not too loud. Perfect over-the-axle setup IMO.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Their pricing is over the top for sure. Not much better for the Roush equiv.

I had the Pypes Bomb axle backs on my GT500 and loved the way they sound. Just enough to hear and not too loud. Perfect over-the-axle setup IMO.

Looked at the Pypes Bomb but already have the resonators in there and don't want to muffle the sound too much. Working a deal for some Pypes Street-Pro's from Stolen 98 so hope it goes through.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
What happened to him? He was posting on Modular and disappeared after his clutch problems.

His single exhaust interested me.

He designed a built a system for his car and I think put it on a few customers cars as well, but thats the last I heard.
he had some nice dyno gains.
Hes one of the few speed shops that doesnt seem full of shit, he posted tons of dynos of all the little things he tried and admittedly decided that the stock exhaust is already pretty good for power, so his main goal was to cut weight off it.

There were a couple vids posted too:

Sounds pretty good to me, but yet again I can enjoy the sound of a 4 banger at 9k rpm, so my idea of nice sound is probably very different compared to most of you guys, haha

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score

Cut the pipe and tip off your stock mufflers and have a shop bend a piece of pipe to fit between the two. Weld it up and see if you like the sound.

You can always buy stock muffs used for $50-60.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back