My #8 goes bye bye and who know's why - OP runs and hides

Witt

forum member
Reaction score
Gears multiply torque to the wheels. This isn't that hard. It's mechanical advantage, leverage, whatever you want to call it so you understand.

If an engine puts out 400ft/lb of tq to the flywheel, is driven 1:1 through a trans then 4.10 through a rear end, the resulting tire torque is nowhere close to 400ft/lb. The 4.10s would multiply torque. If you don't think rear gears multiply torque, well thats a different arguement that I'm not willing to help with.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Gears multiply torque to the wheels. This isn't that hard. It's mechanical advantage, leverage, whatever you want to call it so you understand.

If an engine puts out 400ft/lb of tq to the flywheel, is driven 1:1 through a trans then 4.10 through a rear end, the resulting tire torque is nowhere close to 400ft/lb. The 4.10s would multiply torque. If you don't think rear gears multiply torque, well thats a different arguement that I'm not willing to help with.

It is still rwtq. If I put a new 5.0 on a chassis dyno it won't make 390 rwtq; it will be less, relative to the factory-rated fwtq, just as hp is..

Witt

forum member
Reaction score
It is still rwtq. If I put a new 5.0 on a chassis dyno it won't make 390 rwtq; it will be less, relative to the factory-rated fwtq, just as hp is..
So what you are saying is that an engine rated for 400ft/lb of torque on an engine dyno at the flywheel, then installed in a car, driven on a chassis dyno in a 1:1 gear and with a 4.10 rear gear ratio is actually putting down 400ft/lb of torque minus parasitic drivetrain losses and the 4.10s have absolutely nothing to do with tire torque?

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that an engine rated for 400ft/lb of torque on an engine dyno at the flywheel, then installed in a car, driven on a chassis dyno in a 1:1 gear and with a 4.10 rear gear ratio is actually putting down 400ft/lb of torque minus parasitic drivetrain losses and the 4.10s have absolutely nothing to do with tire torque?

No, I am saying it won't be fwhp.

So are you saying dynos measure rate of acceleration?

And why do you have to use a 1:1 trans ratio to get accurate #'s?

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Glad to see the title changed, Maybe we could find out why all these #8 posters never come back to tell the truth. Are dealership has 2 locations and sell a shit load of 5.0's and i see them at the track, beating the shit out of them ever week. We have not had any engine failures at all. We had one guy put a blower on his car the day after he bought it, and blew it up on the 4th day.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Glad to see the title changed, Maybe we could find out why all these #8 posters never come back to tell the truth. Are dealership has 2 locations and sell a shit load of 5.0's and i see them at the track, beating the shit out of them ever week. We have not had any engine failures at all. We had one guy put a blower on his car the day after he bought it, and blew it up on the 4th day.

I know of one local car that was road-raced and popped #8, and one of my salesmen has a Roush blower and went out hammering on it when he knew it was way lean and ate #7.

Witt

forum member
Reaction score
No, I am saying it won't be fwhp.

So are you saying dynos measure rate of acceleration?

And why do you have to use a 1:1 trans ratio to get accurate #'s?
Dynos measure power. I've stated it a few times. Without gear ratio information the only torque measurements it can spit out is tire torque which is after a gearbox's effects on torque. This is why a tach signal is important for correct torque measurements. Its needed to dropout gearbox ratios from the torque calculation.

Let me ask you a related question which I'm feeling has a lot to do with why you aren't understanding this.
Without using google, what do these three equations equal?

(moment of inertia) x (angular acceleration) = ?

(torque) x (angular velocity) = ?

(torque) x (angular distance) = ?

Also, you don't need a 1:1 gear ratio to get accurate numbers. Thats another myth thats derived from dynoing automatic transmissions but thats for another day. I simply used them to make it clearer to understand rear gear ratio's effect's on tire torque and to avoid the 1:1 myth from coming up.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
what does a butt-dyno measure? ive heard theyre the most accurate way of telling if your car picked up gains from mods

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
what does a butt-dyno measure?
made me think about the hula chair

tumblr_lk156t8GAP1qj2ajgo1_500.gif

Last edited:

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
what if i recently did a fog light delete? do i need a dyno-tune or is a butt-dyno estimate good enough?
don't forget, if you did a left fog delete only you'll need just the left butt dyno values. Same goes for the right.

then there's butt torque:

T(b)=f*H(b)

where
T(b) = butt torque
H(b) = bhp = butt horsepower = horse-butt-power
f = flatulence coefficient at sea level

Last edited:

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Dynos measure power. I've stated it a few times. Without gear ratio information the only torque measurements it can spit out is tire torque which is after a gearbox's effects on torque. This is why a tach signal is important for correct torque measurements. Its needed to dropout gearbox ratios from the torque calculation.

Let me ask you a related question which I'm feeling has a lot to do with why you aren't understanding this.
Without using google, what do these three equations equal?

(moment of inertia) x (angular acceleration) = ?

(torque) x (angular velocity) = ?

(torque) x (angular distance) = ?

Also, you don't need a 1:1 gear ratio to get accurate numbers. Thats another myth thats derived from dynoing automatic transmissions but thats for another day. I simply used them to make it clearer to understand rear gear ratio's effect's on tire torque and to avoid the 1:1 myth from coming up.

tq
power
?

Been a while :dead2:

Edit: work :)

Last edited:

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
don't forget, if you did a left fog delete only you'll need just the left butt dyno values. Same goes for the right.

then there's butt torque:

T(b)=f*H(b)

where
T(b) = butt torque
H(b) = bhp = butt horsepower = horse-butt-power
f = flatulence coefficient at sea level

I miss the rep system so dearly

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back