My observations about the Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
So I've got my dual SOS pillar and AF Interceptor gauges installed and have used them for a few days. So far, this is what I've noticed.

Cons:
*No full manual in the box. You have to go to this web page and choose your firmware revision that is listed on the back of each gauge. The manual is 34 pages long, but by the time I selectively printed what applied to my Mustang, I only had to print out about 9 pages.

*If you wear polarized sunglasses, get the white screen with black letters/#'s. I got the blue background screen with black letters/#'s and I can barely see the readouts when wearing my prescription, polarized sunglasses.

*They do not fit the pods of the SOS pillar exactly. Easy fix though. I used about six pieces of electrical tape, 1/2" long each, on the top of each gauge. They now fit snugly, yet are still easy to take out to adjust the viewing angle.

Pros:
*These gauges have preset "Platforms" for you to choose from. Read the directions carefully. The 2011+ Mustang's use Platform 4. However, with that platform, you can't see knock retard or counts. I am going to experiment with the gauges some more because I know the car reports these through the OBDII port. I'm thinking of using one gauge with a manual setup instead of using the Platform 4 setting and see if I can get knock counts at a minimum. I've not been able to get cylinder head temps to read out, but I've got engine oil temp, coolant, A/F ratio per bank, IAT, ambient air temp and lots of other stuff. It's also very nice to have a digital readout of my speed. I can't really tell exactly how fast I'm going a lot of the time when the needle is below 60mph on the stock speedo.

*I programmed my RPM limit at 7200. Two bright red LED's flash on the gauges when you hit that limit. Very noticeable even in full on daylight.

*Even with sunlight shinning directly on the gauges, you can still see the readouts.

*When Aerforce says that setting up and using these will be intuitive, they aren't kidding. For every thing you can do with these, it's very, VERY intuitive after the very first time. The first time setting them up was easy as hell. Just make sure you have the CAN PID's printed out and with you, cause some of them don't make any sense on the gauges which isn't a con, it's ignorance. Once you learn what they mean, you're golden.

*SUPER easy to install. From the time I started by taking out my stock A-Pillar cover until every thing was installed was less than 20 minutes. Even then, I spent a good five to eight minutes figuring out where to put the extra OBDII cabling.

*Each gauge can handle two analog inputs and be configured to turn input voltage from say, an aftermarket A/F sensor, into a different data format, like Lambda.

*The gauges appear to be well built, clean and professional looking. Everything you need to install them is in the box except as noted above about the manual.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about the gauges. If you want me to try and see if something works, let me know and I'll check it out. I will also update this thread when I know whether or not I can get knock readings out of the gauges. I plan on doing this today so I can let you folks know.

I'll post up some pics later as well. Right now, my car is FILTHY!

Thanks go out to Ryan at RDK Performance for getting me a GREAT price on these. Since I live in Florida, everyone else who sells them would have to charge me sales tax. So I saved the tax of about $40 and also, Ryan did free shipping. So that saved me another $20.

Last edited:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Bad ass gauges i love mine running a boost sensonr and Innovate LC-1 for A/F

That's one of the awesome things about the 2011+ 5.0's. They already have two wide-band A/F sensors. No need to buy an aftermarket sensor from what I've been told by various tuners.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
LOL! Sorry brother. But for boost, I'd go with a good, aftermarket sensor and use the analog input like I would imagine you are doing.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mine fit super snug, almost too snugly. i have a hard time gettign them out when i need too, haha. ahh manufacturing tolerances lol

COYO TT

Stangless
Reaction score
Waiting on my set to come in from Ryan too.........get those pics up! Im ordering the SOS pod this week

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Mine is also not quite snug in my SOS pillar.

Love this gauge, only problem I've noticed is that when the cabin of the car gets super hot (sitting in 90+ degree sun) the display seems to get washed out.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
9c90f4dd.jpg

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Mine is also not quite snug in my SOS pillar.

Love this gauge, only problem I've noticed is that when the cabin of the car gets super hot (sitting in 90+ degree sun) the display seems to get washed out.

Yeah, my pictures reflect that too. I'll have to make sure I put up my shade from now on. Even when I just want to run into a store real quick, I can just sling it up there wrapped up into its little circles.

AF-3.jpg

AF-1.jpg

AF-2.jpg

I'll get much better pictures later on when the car hasn't been sitting in the sun all morning. I let the car idle for a while trying to cool it down, but still didn't get them to completely brighten up until I got out on the road. But those pics turned out like shit from my cell phone.

One thing I've noticed is that for one, my Lund tune is pretty conservative at WOT showing 12.10 AFR on each bank. Also, when I'm under 30mph, the inlet temps stay pretty much around 140°. As soon as I get over 45mph, they drop fast. By the time I'm doing 60, the ambient will show 90° and the inlet temp is 91°. So when I'm cruising at 55 or higher, the inlet temps are just a degree or two over ambient. Come to a stop light and sit for a minute and it will go up to 110°. Sit for three or four and it will be 135+. Haven't seen higher than 158° even after the car idled for 10 minutes.

Last edited:

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I will agree with you about the manual. Hunting around a website to print out directions blows. I have no patience for that. Gauge works great, love it.

How come you mounted your crooked?

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
They probably won't stay that way, but with how tall I am, I lean the seat back a bit and they are a bit easier to read with my sunglasses on. I'll probably end up adjusting them five more times before I get them right where I want them.

RDK

forum member
Reaction score
Nice pics .,

Frank .. Thanks again for your business.. Great dealing with you.. HAWK pads are in stock..

P.S. Can I use your car pics on my website?? Please!!

Ryan @ RDK Performance

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back